Rattle reel line

• Greg Perz

What type of line are most people using on their rattle reels? I have been running 30#-50# tipup line and it seems to get tangled quite a bit when fighting a fish. I am contemplating switching to fly line but wanted to get some feedback first.

Thanks

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Fly line with floro leader will stay pretty much tangle free.

Greg Perz

Do you guys stick with black or do you use high vis?

MNdrifter

I use hi-viz, with 10’ fluorocarbon leader. And I fish Mille Lacs with super clear water. Doesn’t seem to be an issue. Also use different colors. My only problem is bobber stops. You can’t sinch them too tight or they cut into the coating, and/or they won’t slide up/down. Going to try something new this year, just don’t know what yet.

deertracker

For bobbers I just use a match stick in the bottom of a weighted bobber. Never felt the need to use a slip float.
    DT

Crappy Fisherman

For bobbers I just use a match stick in the bottom of a weighted bobber. Never felt the need to use a slip float.
    DT

Great idea, been looking for something that would work better.

MNdrifter

Go to scheels. They have hand coils for sale for a couple bucks for 100 ft or so in the ice fishing display when they get that stuff out.

B-man

I use fly line too. Love it. It’s almost impossible to tangle.

When redeploying, I just let my minnow and hook/weight start sinking, then throw all the floating fly line in the hole at once. It uncoils itself as it’s being pulled down.

I don’t use a bobber, but I do pinch on a split shot sinker to mark bottom. I run a 5 foot Seaguar Blue Label leader (10-15lb), attached to the fly line with a swivel.

A buddy of mine uses lead core, some of his holes are close together and he says the line helps to keep the minnows from tangling together. I’ve never tried it.

Greg Perz

@Jamin, I was going to ask the same question.

I haven’t had an issue with the lines getting tangeled together, my issue is the line getting tangeled with itself.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Just add 100′ of different colors of fly line to your existing line flourocarbon leader. Foam bobber with a slit and straw for the stopper. I use floating line so you know when the fish is still taking line and you aren’t just feeding line for it to sink.

404 ERROR
    MN

DT

I just use a bobber stop adjusted to be slightly below the spool on the wall. That way I can see how far they took it if it woke me up without having to use a bobber.

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

…I use floating line so you know when the fish is still taking line and you aren’t just feeding line for it to sink.

Never thought of that, makes sense! What Weight “WT” of floating fly line are people using? Or doesn’t it matter?

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I don’t think it matters. Probably 4wt.

GoldWinger

Haven’t used rattle reels for a while, but always used this Gudebrod® G-T Dacron Line

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

I started using rattle reels last year, asked the same question, and got the same answers.

I was out later with my buddy explaining the problem and he asked why I didn’t just pick up the whole reel and reel it in instead of pulling it in by hand and tossing it all over the floor. After doing this a few times I never bothered to replace the line.

I dunno if there is a downside to this, but it seems to work for me. I use the catch cover rattle reels, but overall I don’t rattle reel very often.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I don’t have a dog in this fight but I do know something about fly lines.

Fly lines and Fly Line Backing are two different things.

Backing is either braided or mono line used to take up space on the reel and if you’re fishing Tarpon or king Salmon or the like they might go on a long run where you’d need the extra line. In an ironic twist to the story, I use tip-up line I bought in a clearance bin at FF for my fly line backing.

Fly line is thick and heavy. It’s usually a mono or braided core with PVC over it. Most fly lines are designed to float although they do make sinking lines too. I would think a floating line would the wrong application with a rattle reel. A full sinking line might actually work pretty slick, just drop it down the hole and get down there quickly. You wouldn’t even need sinkers. Most fly lines boxes have a code on the front that indicates what kind of line it is. WF6F would translate to “weight forward, 6 weight, floating”. WF6S would indicate a sinking line. The cheapest fly line I’ve ever seen costs about $30 for a 100 foot log line.

S.R.

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

Good input Steve, thank you!

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

There’s a lot of used fly line on eBay. I’ve bought some and it was it great shape.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

You can get 100ft on Ebay for 5 bucks and sinking would just keep going down the hole, no idea if the fish is still taking it.

Bigwalleye30
    MN

I use hi-viz, with 10’ fluorocarbon leader. And I fish Mille Lacs with super clear water. Doesn’t seem to be an issue. Also use different colors. My only problem is bobber stops. You can’t sinch them too tight or they cut into the coating, and/or they won’t slide up/down. Going to try something new this year, just don’t know what yet.

MNDrifter – For bobber stops I make my own using the fly line, then you don’t have to worry about it cutting into the coating of the line. Just watch a youtube video of how to make them. Its pretty easy. Plus if you have different color fly line already it’ll be perfect, just use a different color for the stop.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Scheels in St Cloud had rolls of rattle reel line for $4.99ea with 6 different color options.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Scheels in St Cloud had rolls of rattle reel line for $4.99ea with 6 different color options.

X2

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>MNdrifter wrote:</div>

MNDrifter – For bobber stops I make my own using the fly line, then you don’t have to worry about it cutting into the coating of the line. Just watch a youtube video of how to make them. Its pretty easy. Plus if you have different color fly line already it’ll be perfect, just use a different color for the stop.

The best thing I have found is to just clip on an Ice Buster bobber. It won’t slide, won’t cut the line and they wrap up on the rattle reel nicely.

Attachments:
    1. ice-buster-bobber.png

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.