Rat Root River

• Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

What can anybody tell me about it? Is the depth good for any amount of distance? Is there much flow? What about houses or cabins…is it developed very much? Much boat traffic? Any way in with a decent size boat other then through Black Bay?

Looking for any and all info you might have.

Thank you.

blackbay
    mn

There’s an access near Ericsburg off 119 but I’m not sure how big a boat can be launched. I do see a lot of 18 foot plus boats coming and going out of the river and not returning. I assume they are using the access. The only cabin I’ve seen is in the river part way between Black Bay and Rat Root Lake. Flow is dependent on rainfall. The lake is basically a wide spot so it slows down. I’d guess it would have similar flow to maybe Sullivan Bay.

I think James has been in there fishing crappies. He’d probably have good advise.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Thanks.
    So it seems you can navigate it from Ericsburg to Black Bay? Do many people fish there in your opinion? Just curious as lake property on Rainy is crazy expensive so I was wondering if much was available on the river there. I’ve thought of the Rainy River but don’t really want to be blocked by the damn.

blackbay
    mn

I can’t guarantee it. Depends on your boat and time of year. The access is actually in the east branch of the Rat if you look at Google maps. That branch is smaller than the west. I’ve only been in the north end of the lake so I’m not sure about the end near Ericsburg. I think most of the land around the river and lake is owned by a timber management organization and the county. The are lots for sale around. It will just take some time to find the right one.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.