Rainy Mid-October

• Sean Wachsmuth

Coming back for more advice. I would like to make a trip with some friends to Rainy over MEA weekend in Mid-October. Aside from the obvious liklihood of cold weather, what can I expect that time of year? I have fished Rainy several times from opener to late September, but never as late as we are looking to go this year. Any advice is welcome.

Sean

BigWerm
    SW Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Sean Wachsmuth wrote:</div>
    Any advice is welcome.
    Sean

Don’t hold fish like that

Lol says the guy holding 2 fish like that.

I’ve never fished Rainy in the fall, only mid-summer so I’m not much help. But in general up there you are either looking at fishing the reefs or up shallow. Finding weeds can be a huge help too.

holmsvc
    SE ND

Holding perch that went on the wall, not a muskie that was more that likely released.

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>holmsvc wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Sean Wachsmuth wrote:</div>
    Any advice is welcome.
    Sean

Don’t hold fish like that

As for Rainy in the fall, I would suspect that your September forays have you pretty close to the October patterns. Crappies in the basins, SMB’s deep as well as walleyes on reefs (top and bottom)… Pike, I would think would be up on the points with deep basins close by…

Mark

basseyes

Not to split hairs but that sure looks like a pike not a musky lol.

happycampin
    New Richmond, WI

My advice would be to fish the river or LOTW that time of the year.

blackbay
    mn

Never been on the lake then. That is shack time. I’ve seen 70 plus degrees to highs in the 30’s. Wind can be a big factor that time of year. Also the channel markers may be out about that time. Best to contact whatever resort you’d stay at. Great chance at BIG fish though.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Not to split hairs but that sure looks like a pike not a musky lol.

Yep. what he said. ^^^^^^^^

Sean Wachsmuth

Thanks for the fishing and fish holding advice. For the record, that was a 51″ northern pike caught on Wollaston Lake in Saskatchewan. We caught several that size that day, likely all of whom spent the rest of the day with exceedingly sore jaws. But, now I know to not do that anymore.

I’m excited to try things up there later in the season. Hopefully it works out. Thanks again for the advice.

Sean

bigstorm
    Southern WI

I have fished Rainy in early October for the past 5 years or so and have posted reports on here after each trip. The reports include weather conditions, general locations that we fished, depths and baits. Keep in mind we primarily target walleyes. To summarize, expect anything from snow, rain, wind, sun and 75F days. For walleyes, we generally dont mark much shallower than 28ft. This we year we are fishing 4 days starting on 10/4

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.