Questions for the tight liners in the group

• Cody Brunick
    NULL

Couple quick questions for those who tight line. What do you look for in a rod or better yet what do you use? Understand sensitivity isn’t really an issue, but fighting a fish on a 1:1 schooley is. Also do you run a fluorocarbon leader off your mono main line. Or just tie your high-vis right to your jig. New technique for me that I am working on refining so looking for a couple tips. Thanks in advance.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

I have never heard of”tight lineing”. What is it???

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I’ll fish a 32″ rod with an extra fast tip that covers about the first 4″ of the rod and then leads back to a medium action butt…

I will use a Shimano 500 series spinning reel and rarely have to reel in fishing >5fow. I run 2-3lb Ice magic with no floro leader.. One rod I will have hi vis on and the other clear… most times it really doesn’t matter…

hope this helps !!!

the rods I am using for this application are the TUC Precision Noodle

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

Thanks, I kinda thunk that, but wasn’t real sure.

Cody Brunick
    NULL

It’s only hipster if you do it ironically while drinking a PBR, also ironically.

Cbrunick:
    If you’re tightlining, you want a fiberglass, light action rod that is fairly short. Some of the best tightliners around, Dave Young and Mike Boedeker, use rods no longer that 20″. An easy way to get started with a decent tightlining rod is to buy an HT Blues 24″ UL or 18″ UL and just cut off the orange tip. Put on a #3 guide and you’re all set! You want to actually want to watch your line as far down the hole as possible, looking for any movement that is different than the movement your imparting it. When you get a strike, drop your rod tip. If the line collapses, you know you have a fish on and set your hook.
    I have never attached a fluoro leader to my hi vis line and have never had any dropoff in the amount of fish caught. A classic tightlining ice line is Hi-Vis Stren Ice Gold; however, it’s no longer made and becoming increasingly more difficult to find. I have found good substitutes to be 2 lb. Cortland Hi-Vis, 2-3 lb. Suffix Ice Magic (tangerine), or 2 lb. Vicious Hi-Vis.
    There are a couple of great videos out there that explaining the tightlining technique in greater detail.
    1) About half way through the video the Godfather of tightlining Dave Young shows you how it’s done. Even shows in slow motion a bite. Just make sure have the most updated quicktime to watch.
    http://www.davegenz.com/Dave_Genz.com/Vi…ampionship.html

2) Mike Boedeker talks about the tightlining technique in the following video:
    https://www.facebook.com/110941820776/videos/10152739863255777/

Duke M

Stren Ice Hi-Vs Gold is gone, but Stren Crappie Mono Hi-Vis Gold appears to be the same line and it comes on 200 yard spools and is cheaper. Just got 3 spools of 2# right from the Stren website so this is first hand info.

zooks

Cbrunick:
    If you’re tightlining, you want a fiberglass, light action rod that is fairly short. Some of the best tightliners around, Dave Young and Mike Boedeker, use rods no longer that 20″. An easy way to get started with a decent tightlining rod is to buy an HT Blues 24″ UL or 18″ UL and just cut off the orange tip. Put on a #3 guide and you’re all set! You want to actually want to watch your line as far down the hole as possible, looking for any movement that is different than the movement your imparting it. When you get a strike, drop your rod tip. If the line collapses, you know you have a fish on and set your hook.
    I have never attached a fluoro leader to my hi vis line and have never had any dropoff in the amount of fish caught. A classic tightlining ice line is Hi-Vis Stren Ice Gold; however, it’s no longer made and becoming increasingly more difficult to find. I have found good substitutes to be 2 lb. Cortland Hi-Vis, 2-3 lb. Suffix Ice Magic (tangerine), or 2 lb. Vicious Hi-Vis.
    There are a couple of great videos out there that explaining the tightlining technique in greater detail.
    1) About half way through the video the Godfather of tightlining Dave Young shows you how it’s done. Even shows in slow motion a bite. Just make sure have the most updated quicktime to watch.
    http://www.davegenz.com/Dave_Genz.com/Vi…ampionship.html

2) Mike Boedeker talks about the tightlining technique in the following video:
    https://www.facebook.com/110941820776/videos/10152739863255777/

Excellent info plus two great videos for demos. RE: rods, I use a couple of schooley style combos that I had when I was a kid for this technique, works well for me.

As far as other lines besides Stren, I’ve used Cortland and it has more stretch than I care for but really like the 3lb Sufix Ice Magic. Because I have a lot of it, I usually use Gamma ESP in 2lb Hi Vis Gold – they also have other colors plus an ice specific product, all are very good. Fair warning on the 2lb ESP Ice Line, it is like human hair for thickness and can be tough to tie. It’s a great line but that is a big downfall, wish they made a 3lb ESP ice line. Link for the Hi Vis Gold below:
    http://gammafishing.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=73_59&product_id=50

Hope this helps, good luck.

hl&sinker
    Inactive
    north fowl

Tight lining is great for early ice sunnies and perch. I use a 32inch St.Croix premier for longer sweeps if needed or the 24 inch St.Croix legand with out using the spring bobber. I like the stiffness of the rod for feeling the tap of a bite transmitting to my hand along with site of the line.
    For me 4# ASSO ice heavy flouocarbon yellow flourecsent is the only line.
    Just to get the juices going these were all from tight lining early ice me and a buddy.

Attachments:
    1. IMAG0610.jpg

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.