Question on modifying Ranger cover????

• Karl Hungus
    Carver County, Minnesota

I’m posting a question for my son. He’s got a Reatta with the factory cover. He is considering having someone modify it with velcro “flaps” over the cleats so he could use it at times as a mooring cover when tied up at the dock. He only keeps it on the water overnight a few times per year so it’s not a permanent type thing…just once in a while. He lives in Rogers and knows of Canvas Craft up in Otsego. Anyone have any advice or thoughts?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Canvas Craft is good. I’ll bet they can do it.

Cody Meyers

I agree, that’s a simple jon and I’ve heard good things from them. I’ve had my cover altered before and it took literal minutes to have a Velcro flap put on to go around my trolling motor.

Bartman

I have made those same modifications on two Ranger covers. I used a canvas shop in Rochester where I live. I also had one modified by a canvas guy in Hackensack.

My challenge was securing the back of the cover in a way to repel heavy rain. After a bit of trial and error I found that using a shortened version of ratchet straps from Menards did the trick.

Karl Hungus
    Carver County, Minnesota

Thanks for the replies…talking with him yesterday, he mentioned a ratchet strap on the rear as his plan. He’s calling Canvas Craft this week.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Most Ranger covers are ratchet strap versions. If this is for occasional mooring, I just tie off from the bow eye and rear cover tie down posts. No real need to modify the cover. (You can still attach mooring buoys to the cleats with the cover on. Or tie them off to the dock.)

-J.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.