Pup food help

• tapout

Hey guys my family and I are pulling the trigger on are first dog. We’re getting a chocolate lab tomarow this dog will also be are waterfowl partner. Im wondering on what’s a good food for this pup I know what u feed has a big role in the development of a pup. Also can what u feed it help with shedding?

riverrookie
    Kasson, MN

We are on our 3rd pup. 6 month old black lab. We are feeding a higher end dog food this time and can really tell the difference in his coat and poop consistency. One thing to remember about the higher end dog foods is you typically feed smaller amounts so the food lasts longer. Fyi… in the past we fed Purina Pro plan and now we feed Taste of the Wild. Enjoy your new pup.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Find a good quality puppy food that works for your dog. There are a lot of options. We went through several brands with our last dog. Last food we used was Bil-Jac Large Breed, and we were very happy with it. We’ll start there with our next dog.

4walleye
    Central SD

Find a good quality puppy food that works for your dog. There are a lot of options.

X2, do yourself and the pup a favor by feeding a high quality large breed puppy food for the first year. I don’t know about preventing shedding but the puppy will have a shiny coat, and the ingredients promote growth and intelligence.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

We use Purina One Smart Blends (vet recommended) Chicken and Rice, and have no complaints. My lab was stealing this out of our other dogs dish at about 6 months old, and we switched her over soon after.

tapout

Good stuff I’ll have to head to the store and check it out now I have at least 4 to 5 ideas on what to start with.thanks for the the help guys. I’ll probably pop on here with some more ?s.

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

My Last 2 dogs have eaten nothing but Diamond dog foods. My Brittaney went 16 years my current Draht is going on 13 years

Mwal

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

About 6 years ago I switched to Blue Buffalo dog food. 100% no wheat, soy, or corn. Also has no meat byproducts. Your grains are just fillers to form the kibble.

jerry b
    western WI

Nothing but grain free kibble for our pups, Orijen or Acana are all we use. jerr

mattgroff

I have been feeding my dogs nutri source. It seems to be a great dog food and keeps the dogs coat looking great and they love it. Also it’s made in Minnesota by kln family brands. All natural dog food. Price is about 47.00 a bag. But well worth it.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

All my puppies had shiny coats, firm turds and their hair wasnt falling out with Purina Puppy Chow.

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

I started my lab (3.5 now) on Diamond right from the start and have had no problems with it. Started him off on Diamond Large Breed Puppy Lamb & Rice for first year, then switched over to Diamond Premium Adult ever since.

I like Diamond because it is decent quality for a good price and is readily available to most places. I pick it up at Fleet Farm for I think $26/ bag, but I’ve seen it at several other places too. My black lab has a nice shiny coat that I get a lot of compliments on, good amount of energy and endurance.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

I started my lab (3.5 now) on Diamond right from the start and have had no problems with it. Started him off on Diamond Large Breed Puppy Lamb & Rice for first year, then switched over to Diamond Premium Adult ever since.

I like Diamond because it is decent quality for a good price and is readily available to most places. I pick it up at Fleet Farm for I think $26/ bag, but I’ve seen it at several other places too. My black lab has a nice shiny coat that I get a lot of compliments on, good amount of energy and endurance.

Same here – never had an issue.

tapout

Got the new pup home a few days ago kids are in love and so far it’s going pretty good. Shes 10 weeks old and seems really smart. I sat out in the yard with her today with the duck dummy and thought I’d try some retrieving with her. I didn’t expect anything from her but out of no where she went 10 for 10 I thought this was crazy but first time lab owner don’t really know.is that kinda crazy or what?

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20151017_145724402.jpg

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.