Prop Selection issues

• Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

I have a 2017 621 Fs with 300 yamaha. It cam with a 21 saltwater 2. Prop went 56-58 WOT @5500rpms. Very sluggish out of the hole. Was suggested a 21 pro series. Same as I had on my 2014 setup. it was Using all RPMS a little better hole shot but lost 7-8mph and porpoises a bit and looses grab on corners. Anybody have same setup and can share a better prop option. Rather not loose a lot of speed but want better hole shot and handling. I don’t care if its a 4 blade or 3 blade just an all around option.
    Thanks

mojogunter

I have a tempest plus 21 mercury prop you can try out. I don’t have a yamaha hub for it though. Very fast prop and with the variable venting system the holeshot should be better. Lots of lift should work well on your 621.

Musky Ed

I would say a 20″ or 20.5″ Bravo FS or LT, and probably LT. If you stay with a Yamaha prop, you could try there 20″ saltwater, and that would really help your takeoff and rpm’s, but boat would probably still porpoise. The Bravo 4 blade props are working much better on the Ranger 620’s, and 621’s. Check out Mercury’s performance prop blogs where they have tested them against the 3 blade tempest’s. They are quite impressive.

Musky Ed

Another thought, looking at your location, you could go to Brainerd props and demo the Bravo props. Not that far of a drive for you.

JMP1890

Call Ricky at Brainerd Props. His knowledge is fantastic and his customer service is even better. Helped me out with my setup. Couldn’t be happier.

JMP

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

I bought a bravo LT 20 which is what was recommended for my boat. Much worse. no hole shot too much prop to turn. Rpms fell way off. Still sitting on the prop as I have not had a chance to bring it back.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

With everything correct a 4 blade should be 2-3 mph slower, BUT give you a better hole shot, throw water in big waves, and over-all handling. A 3 blade will give you top end speed. Porpoising is usually trim.

Rather than playing games on guess work, get all your weights together. Weight of boat, motor, kicker, gear, fuel, people…. and call John. Tell him what you have and what it is doing. He’s an unique guy to talk with at times doah but he knows props inside and out. Only guy I use
    D.A.H.® Custom Pro-pellers
    34111 Washington Ave.
    Burlington, Wisconsin 53105
    John or Jeff Janaky
    phone (262) 534-4440

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

Thanks Randy will see what they say. Was happy with how my last hull ran just no so much with this one. Was expecting better. A lot of people told me the bravo i bought was best but it isn’t for my use. I totally get losing top end and not an issue but the hole shot should have been better then my 3 blade but was worse yet. Was faster top end which leads me to believe was over propped and need to go down. Running a 19 pitch 3 blade currently.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I run a late model bassboat, but John’s work and recommendations have been nothing less than outstanding for me. Yes, he builds me custom props with tweaked cupping and the initial cost is pricy. But, I’ve gained fuel efficiency, top in and moderate hole shot with a 3 blade.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.