Prop Pitch for Suzuki 150/175

• Bartman

Can you tell me what pitch prop you have on your Zuki’s?? Also whether its on a fiberglass or aluminum boat. I’m not sure I have the right pitch which is 21. The boat came with a 25 and I changed it.

Reef W

It depends on a lot of things so you need to test your boat. Do you have a tach? You should probably verify it but the image I attached is the wide open throttle rpm range for Suzukis I found. Put an average amount of weight in the boat and go full throttle to find your maximum rpm. Higher pitch will lower your maximum rpm, lower pitch will increase your maximum rpm.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20210713-071015_Firefox.jpg

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

What is the recommended RPM level your motor at full throttle? The correct pitch prop will allow your boat to run in the recommended RPM range. You shift the prop pitch higher or lower until the motor runs in the recommended RPM range.

CaptainMusky

I have a 2008 150 4 stroke and have a 15×21 3 blade stainless Suzuki prop. My boat is a 185 Alumacraft Tournament Sport. I tried a 23 for a while which got me a few more MPH, but the holeshot was not as good. Much happier with the 21.

Bartman

The recommended rpm for my 2016 Suzuki 175 is 5500 – 6000 wide open. Couldn’t get there with the 25.

Reef W

The recommended rpm for my 2016 Suzuki 175 is 5500 – 6000 wide open. Couldn’t get there with the 25.

If you’re in the range it’s fine as is but you could tune it to your preference if you want. Each inch of pitch is about 200rpm different probably. Lower pitches are better for holeshot, higher pitches for top end speed. Going from a 3 blade to a 4 blade of the same pitch you lose about 200rpm I think. Based on your current WOT RPM you can estimate what the options are to stay in the range and do what you want.

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

If you stay with the 3 blade it’s going to be a 23″ or 21″ prop. I would suggest a 19″ 4 blade. I put a 4 blade on my Skeeter and I won’t run a 3 blade again. The 4 blade is a much better all-around performer. But a 3 blade will probably work just fine on a 18.5′ tin boat.

mnfisherman18

I run a 15X19 on my 2007 Suzuki 150 (Crestliner sportfish 1850) and have always thought it was the wrong prop. It looks like I should be stepping up to a 15X21 but not sure if its worth the money since I rarely drive over 35mph.

CaptainMusky

I run a 15X19 on my 2007 Suzuki 150 (Crestliner sportfish 1850) and have always thought it was the wrong prop. It looks like I should be stepping up to a 15X21 but not sure if its worth the money since I rarely drive over 35mph.

IMO I dont think you will gain much by going to a 21 considering how you run your boat. You would gain top speed and lose a bit of holeshot, but it should still be very good considering your boat is similar to mine. If I was in your spot I would keep the prop you have since you dont go much over 35. Im similar. I rarely go WOT because I just don’t need to.

Bartman

Just wanted to add that when I told the dealer that Ranger put a 25 pitch on my 1880 Angler he was surprised. Dealer never noticed the prop pit, and why would they…. I called Ranger to swap out the 25 for a 21 and they said they put a 25 on it based on how many feet above sea level the boat was being operated in. No, I wasn’t drinking and I asked him to repeat this statement during the call. This was at the end of the Suzuki-Ranger relationship so I guess they just tossed on any old prop that would fit the shaft.

CaptainMusky

Just wanted to add that when I told the dealer that Ranger put a 25 pitch on my 1880 Angler he was surprised. Dealer never noticed the prop pit, and why would they…. I called Ranger to swap out the 25 for a 21 and they said they put a 25 on it based on how many feet above sea level the boat was being operated in. No, I wasn’t drinking and I asked him to repeat this statement during the call. This was at the end of the Suzuki-Ranger relationship so I guess they just tossed on any old prop that would fit the shaft.

That certainly speaks volumes about that dealer. I wouldn’t consider them for any maintenance work based on this.

mnfisherman18

IMO I dont think you will gain much by going to a 21 considering how you run your boat. You would gain top speed and lose a bit of holeshot, but it should still be very good considering your boat is similar to mine. If I was in your spot I would keep the prop you have since you dont go much over 35. Im similar. I rarely go WOT because I just don’t need to.

Appreciate the advice, I totally agree. I would rather put that $500 towards some new fishing gear than the perfect prop I won’t see the benefit from.

beardly
    Hastings, Mn

I have a Alumacraft 185 with a Suzuki 150ss that currently has a 3 blade, 15x21R. I run in the 5600 to 5800 range at WOT. I am looking for more stern lift as it seems I can not get my bow down enough at lower speeds when it is rough. It was suggested to go with a 4 blade power tech 14.5×20. I’ve also been told to put a hydrofoil on it.

For the price of the prop it almost seems more logical to just put trim tabs on it. I am not a huge fan of drilling into the motor for a hydrofoil.
    Any suggestions?

CaptainMusky

I have a Alumacraft 185 with a Suzuki 150ss that currently has a 3 blade, 15x21R. I run in the 5600 to 5800 range at WOT. I am looking for more stern lift as it seems I can not get my bow down enough at lower speeds when it is rough. It was suggested to go with a 4 blade power tech 14.5×20. I’ve also been told to put a hydrofoil on it.

For the price of the prop it almost seems more logical to just put trim tabs on it. I am not a huge fan of drilling into the motor for a hydrofoil.
    Any suggestions?

Are you keeping your motor trimmed all the way down? I have an older version of the same boat (mine is 18’11” however) and I dont have this problem at lower speeds I just keep the motor all the way down. Its possible the motor could be dropped a mounting hole and that may help, but I dont think you are doing that on your own. How many holes down from the top are you?

beardly
    Hastings, Mn

Are you keeping your motor trimmed all the way down? I have an older version of the same boat (mine is 18’11” however) and I dont have this problem at lower speeds I just keep the motor all the way down. Its possible the motor could be dropped a mounting hole and that may help, but I dont think you are doing that on your own. How many holes down from the top are you?
    [/quote]

Trimmed all the way down. That makes it pretty hard to steer also. It’s a 06 Navigator Sport if that helps any.
    The motor is mounted in the middle of the 6 holes. Appreciate the response!

CaptainMusky

Trimmed all the way down. That makes it pretty hard to steer also. It’s a 06 Navigator Sport if that helps any.
    The motor is mounted in the middle of the 6 holes. Appreciate the response!

Same year as my boat, but I have a Tournament Sport. I know it steers hard with it trimmed down, but I just “deal with it” I guess. I dont know about putting trim tabs on an aluminum boat. Some guys say it puts too much stress on the transom which I have no idea if its true or just speculation. I wouldnt want to put a hydrofoil on either for the reasons you stated. Hmm, not sure what might help, but your motor is mounted in the same location as mine, it could help to lower it THEN trimming your motor a bit at lower speeds to get less steering effort, but I am no expert in that area, just heard some guys have done that before.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Try looking at a Turning Point 4 blade, I ran a Suzuki with a 3 blade SS and my new boat uses a 4 blade and the hole shot is much stronger and the 4 blade keeps the stern down also.

Any suggestions?

beardly
    Hastings, Mn

Thanks guys.

I wish I could try the 4 blade before dumping $600 on one. From everything I’ve read it does seem like the 4 blade will help so maybe I just bite the the bullet and go for it.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.