Pressure Washer

• slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

Any good recommendations on a pressure washer for general at home use? Mainly looking to wash the house once a year, and will probably use it on vehicles and boats.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I bought one from northern tool years back and works good. I believe it has a honda motor. It’s gas powered. I have issues with mixing water and electricity in the same application.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I have a karcher 2500 psi for 20 years. Honda motor 2 pulls every time. Replaced the pump 10 years ago but otherwise works like a champ and we use ours 5-6 times every year. My favorite use is blowing leaves with it in fall and spring.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Eyeguy I never heard of using that way, genius! My only question is if you have to bag them they are ringing wet at that point. Correct?

Kevin Yopp

I just changed from a gas-powered craftsman to a Ryobi electric unit. I used the craftsman about once or twice a year for 10 years of so and then it got difficult to start and I got tired of having to troubleshoot the carb, got an electric and can’t complain. Loads quieter too.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I just changed from a gas-powered craftsman to a Ryobi electric unit. I used the craftsman about once or twice a year for 10 years of so and then it got difficult to start and I got tired of having to troubleshoot the carb, got an electric and can’t complain. Loads quieter too.

Around 5 years ago I bought my first electric…and took it back the next day. Did a little research on them this spring and bought the Ryobi 2,300 PSI 1.2 GPM High Performance Electric Pressure Washer and really like it. Although the turbo nozzle failed and I haven’t done anything about it.

I’m using it a lot and very happy with it. Now ask me 5 years from now. )

Ice Cap

I bought a Generac six years or so ago at either Menards or HD can’t remember. It over 3000 psi and has been bullet proof so far. And between myself and my boys it gets hauled around and abused. You will be surprised the amount of uses you will find for it.

Be careful even using the right wand tip for the job you can do some damage. I knocked a big chunk of corner siding off the house until I learned to watch what I was doing.

munchy
    NULL

If you go the Ryobi route I highly suggest putting a coating of grease onto all of the threaded connections. For some reason or another the brass threads will gall up and completely seize together. Learned that after the hose connection coming from the unit decided to no want to come apart no matter how big of wrench I used. After some research it seems to be a regular issue with them. I now have a non-removeable hose attached to my pressure washer.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Eyeguy I never heard of using that way, genius! My only question is if you have to bag them they are ringing wet at that point. Correct?

John, I blow them away from the house and out of the lanscaping, then into the yard. No bagging for me, I just run em over with my rider since they are good compost. They are a little wet but that just keeps the dust down! Or if my neighbor is gone, I just blow them into his yard mrgreen

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Nice job bro! Never would have thought of that!

Reef W

I have a gas one (no idea what kind) and a Ryobi electric one. The gas one is more powerful but I never use it because the Ryobi is strong enough for any type of cleaning I do and, even with the Ryobi, you have to be careful on wood. Electric is a lot lighter and less annoying to use.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

I have Generac. I think it is 2700psi. It’s about 6/7 years old and I use at home and the cabin. Starts 2nd pull everytime. Only complaint is it has a big fuel tank. Doesn’t shut off so break time is too far in-between. whistling

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

Hmm. Hadn’t thought about electric much, but for what I would use it for it may not be a bad route.

fishingstar
    central mn / starlake

I also have a Generac 4 years old and it get used alot.
    had to replace the recoil rope once that’s it.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

I would say any with a brand name motor, Honda, Briggs ect

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Hmm. Hadn’t thought about electric much, but for what I would use it for it may not be a bad route.

Unless you are going to use the washer a lot or need very high pressure, it’s hard to beat the electrics for just general home use.

I tried to talk myself into getting a gas-powered washer, but at the end of the day I don’t use it enough to justify the maintenance hassle. I’ve had a Ryobi for 10 years and it just keeps working and does what I need it to do, so why mess with it? It would be nice to have a longer hose, but that’s my only real complaint.

Just make sure you drain or blow the water out of the pump before freezing temps arrive.

Grouse

Doug M
    SE SD

When is Milwaukee going to have a m18 pressure washer?

jwellsy

When is Milwaukee going to have a m18 pressure washer?

+1

30 years ago a lot of people had problems with busted pump casings from not getting all the water out and they froze solid in the winter.

Hoyt4
    NULL

Stihl RB 400

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

Ny experiences with the Simpson MegaShot with Honda GX200 motor?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I have a gas one I bought a home depot. Runs a Honda motor and I think its ryobi or something not positive but its the brand they have there.
    Its in my work truck and gets used every day. It takes a beating and I’ve never had a issue going on 3 years now.

ClydeSDale
    Lakeland, MN

I have an 1800 psi Karcher electric that I’ve had for so long I don’t remember when I bought it. Adequate pressure for most needs but would look for higher psi if I bought another one. Easier to store because it takes up less space, quieter to operate. My automatic shut off stopped working years ago but I improvised the ground fault plug-in into the handle and use that as the switch.

If this one died it would be replaced by another electric.

Grouse was giving good advice about drain/blow out! I worked the Seasonal Dept in a big box store and every spring there was a parade of people coming in looking for replacements.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.