MId day sets?

• tapout

IM planning on starting 3 am sunday and hunting all day until dark sunday night doing alot of sets. What do I guys suggest doing for mid day hunts setting up on big timber?

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I have no clue for your neck of the woods. I’m out in SD so I’ll be targeting CRP fields and slews with lots of reeds/cover around them. I went 0-2 on sits yesterday on my way out here. Gotta work all day today, but tomorrow and Saturday I plan to go hard.

tapout

IM in southeastern mn I have alot of big timber valleys and also have some properties that are 2 to 400 acres of crp and some properties on the zumbro river bottoms to hunt as well. Any advice is great cause like u im just starting this whole yote calling thing. I just want to do it right I dont like to half anything when it comes to hunting.

johnee

Like a lot of things in hunting, I don’t think there are any absolutes.

Just this season, all the coyotes I’ve called in have come between noon and 3. Which, if you go by the common wisdom, is the least productive time of the day.

What I’m finding helpful these days is to first call an area and if nothing comes in, I go and walk around and look at where the tracks are.

This has revealed some really interesting patterns AND it’s showed me something more important–where the coyotes AREN’T. Obviously, there are hard limits to my ability to think like a coyote, because I’m wrong much more than I’m right.

This year the movement and hunting patterns in my area suggest 2 trends. First, the coyotes are working brushy, low scrub, and most often in areas that have active cattle. My guess is that there are rodents, birds, and rabbits picking up corn out of dung piles and that attracts the coyotes.

The other trend I’ve noticed is lots of movement in thin stands of large oaks. I would not have guessed this because of the lack of ground cover for the coyotes to hide in, but given the record acorn crop this year I’m thinking there must be lots of rabbit and squirrel activity that’s attracting them.

As I was just explaining to a guy who has never hunted coyotes, I don’t think it’s like fishing where there are certain types of holding cover that you just hone in on because they are high percentage. I think with coyotes you have to keep working whatever you have available.

Grouse

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Every piece of land is different. Ask yourself these questions when your considering a set:
    1. Besides what I am looking at, what barriers will STOP a coyote from coming in?
    2. Do they get pressured from incidental interaction; and if so, what kind? AG use, logging, snowmobile,…short term or long term. Short term – try a few daytime sets / Long Term – nights!
    3. Is this suitable habitat for Bedding, Hunting, Territory Marker, or Travel Route?
    4.If I sit “here” with the wind in this direction, how far will they need to come out of their “comfort zone” to get down wind? Short distance – Good / Long Ways – Bad
    5. When looking at a vast6 area – Can you see a natural “Bottle Neck” anywhere in the terrain that would provide cover or shortest route between cover??? If so, now you know where to key in on.

tapout

GOod stuff guys I got alot of thinking and studying google earth to do. This is way more complicated then following dogs with radio transmitters but I like a challange thats why I chose to get into this.good stuff thanks

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

GOod stuff guys I got alot of thinking and studying google earth to do.

That is the #1 thing I do BEFORE I ever set foot on a property. Nothing like having someone invite you out to a place you don’t know, just to find there’s a river 100′ back in the woods that a song dog can’t cross

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.