Coyote and Fox report and observation.

• caincando1
    Dodge Center, MN/Alma,WI

With the warm rainy weather predicted for tomorrow, it looks like this weekend is over for running yote. We weren’t able to get anything jumped today. This was the same story last weekend. With the lack of fresh snow and the swings in temperatures, it’s been a tough couple weekends.

I wanted to comment on the Fox population this year. We don’t run (it’s illegal to run Fox with dogs) or hunt fox but we see a lot of Fox sign when we are yote hunting. I have to say that the Fox sign is absolutely THICK this year. In a few areas, we are seeing as much Fox sigh at Coyote. In a lot of areas, we are seeing considerably more Fox sign than Coyote. This is very encouraging sight to see. A high Coyote population can drive out the fox. It looks like, in this area, the Fox population is making a great come back. Let’s hope the continued Coyote hunting pressure will keep them in check and allow the Fox population to keep increasing.

dodge_boy
    Minocqua, Wi

The fox population around here is quite low this year it seems. I have only called in one which is now cased out and drying. I haven’t seen that many tracks around like I did last year. Had 4 around the house last year that I haven’t seen this year. (and no I didn’t shoot them, could have but didn’t) Are you mainly running your dogs in MN or WI? Gonna try to head that way here sometime and hit up some of my old spots around La Crosse.
    Good luck and keep at U’m

caincando1
    Dodge Center, MN/Alma,WI

The majority of the time it’s Dodge county or else Steele and Olmsted. Occasionally we will venture into Goodhue, Freeborn, Mower or Fillmore Counties. But that’s pretty rare for us. We don’t run in WI at all. I do all my boating in WI on the river.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.