Yote gun?

• freitag
    Osseo, WI

Would like to try huntin’ this year yet, but smallest rifle I have is a 7mm 08…..is this usable?

gjk1970
    Annandale Mn.

Yeah if you want to blow them up…
    Might be a little big if you are going for the fur…

gjk1970
    Annandale Mn.

Yeah if you want to blow them up…
    Might be a little big if you are going for the fur…

timdomaille
    Rochester Mn

A 6mm or 243 is about the biggest unless you do not want anything left.

timdomaille
    Rochester Mn

A 6mm or 243 is about the biggest unless you do not want anything left.

gjk1970
    Annandale Mn.

I use a .223 seems to be a real nice yote gun.

gjk1970
    Annandale Mn.

I use a .223 seems to be a real nice yote gun.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

My first coyote rifle was a short barrel 7mm-08. Sweet shooting little rifle. It put a few coyotes in the dirt for me. Pelt damage wasn’t too terrible, but still more than you want if you intend to sell the hide.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

My first coyote rifle was a short barrel 7mm-08. Sweet shooting little rifle. It put a few coyotes in the dirt for me. Pelt damage wasn’t too terrible, but still more than you want if you intend to sell the hide.

freitag
    Osseo, WI

Okay, how about a .257 mag at 87 gr.?

freitag
    Osseo, WI

Okay, how about a .257 mag at 87 gr.?

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I see your confidence level is pretty high and that is a good thing
    If you are just starting out and you can call them into pistol range, you are the man I have never tried a handgun for coyotes so I can’t help you there

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I see your confidence level is pretty high and that is a good thing
    If you are just starting out and you can call them into pistol range, you are the man I have never tried a handgun for coyotes so I can’t help you there

freitag
    Osseo, WI

I’m sorry, I meant to say a Weatherby .257 mag rifle. Didn’t know there was a .257 pistol.

freitag
    Osseo, WI

I’m sorry, I meant to say a Weatherby .257 mag rifle. Didn’t know there was a .257 pistol.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

My eyes seen one thing and my brain read something else
    Couldn’t tell ya on that calibre, but it sounds like it would leave a big hole

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

My eyes seen one thing and my brain read something else
    Couldn’t tell ya on that calibre, but it sounds like it would leave a big hole

jeff_hansen

I’ve heard those rigs are some flat shooters, but it’s gonna leave one heck of a mark… depends on your plans for the critters. If you want ’em dead… or pretty? I just picked up a .204 barrel for my Encore. It’s a darn good shooter, only drops about 4″ at 300 yds and groups well. Good luck, man…

jeff_hansen

I’ve heard those rigs are some flat shooters, but it’s gonna leave one heck of a mark… depends on your plans for the critters. If you want ’em dead… or pretty? I just picked up a .204 barrel for my Encore. It’s a darn good shooter, only drops about 4″ at 300 yds and groups well. Good luck, man…

backlash
    Owatonna MN

use your 7mm-08 with a heavy hunting bullet it will punch straight through. .257 wtby will more than likely cut a yote in half.

backlash
    Owatonna MN

use your 7mm-08 with a heavy hunting bullet it will punch straight through. .257 wtby will more than likely cut a yote in half.

toddcarnes
    Milan IL

I would use what you have until you seeif you like it or not. Then i would start looking for a flatter shooting gun that dont tear them up as bad if you are planning on selling them.

toddcarnes
    Milan IL

I would use what you have until you seeif you like it or not. Then i would start looking for a flatter shooting gun that dont tear them up as bad if you are planning on selling them.

jdw
    Otsego, MN

I second Todd’s response. There is nothing wrong with using what you already have. A side benefit of that is becoming more familiar w/ your deer rifle. And it is not the caliber that matters, it is the bullet. Most bonded deer bullets will do very little damage, regardless of caliber.
    However, my personal favorite for calling situations is the .223. Not because of less pelt damage, but because the gun is generally lighter, has less recoil, and makes less noise. Plus, you can shoot it cheaply w/out handloading. If you hunt coyotes a lot, those things matter.

jdw
    Otsego, MN

I second Todd’s response. There is nothing wrong with using what you already have. A side benefit of that is becoming more familiar w/ your deer rifle. And it is not the caliber that matters, it is the bullet. Most bonded deer bullets will do very little damage, regardless of caliber.
    However, my personal favorite for calling situations is the .223. Not because of less pelt damage, but because the gun is generally lighter, has less recoil, and makes less noise. Plus, you can shoot it cheaply w/out handloading. If you hunt coyotes a lot, those things matter.

freitag
    Osseo, WI

Thanks for the responses guys….heck the cost of those .257 mag bullets should keep me from ever shooting that gun at $55/ box.

freitag
    Osseo, WI

Thanks for the responses guys….heck the cost of those .257 mag bullets should keep me from ever shooting that gun at $55/ box.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.