Pre-spawn gills

• tim hurley

Probably will fish a lake this weekend with crappies and very nice ‘gills-anyone fish them this time of year? Freezer is at the crappie limit, could use some gills for a fish fry-thanks

Jake Thelen
    Medford, MN

I was out last Sunday and did well on weed edges on the north end of the lake. Between 4 and 8 feet deep with a bobber set at 2′. Just used a tiny jig with a plastic ant like creature. Lots of bluegills with the occasional crappie mixed in.

bigpike

We did well Sunday also. I searched shallow water protected bays and found the right one. Many gils up to 9.5″. These gils were up shallow as 1′ but also in the lily pads out a bit further. Tried again Monday and the weather pushed the big gals out but plenty of eaters to be caught. Mini mights tipped with crawler chuncks and naked.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

We caught a ton on Saturday afternoon in the very south bay in a finger over shallow weeds.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

A small jig and small chunk of night crawler and your golden.
    What time is the fish fry again?

tim hurley

Family fish fry,you have to be at least a cousin, if you drink beer we can pass you as a cousin.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

There were a bunch of big solo bull gills hanging around the inside weed edge all day chasing our bass lures on Prior Saturday.

tim hurley

Bass open on Prior? Ribbing aside thanks 14.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I swear between fishing the early season in WI and last weekend here in MN people really need to look at when fishing seasons actually start. It’s not 1998 anymore.

I know you are kidding Tim but I’ve had people arguing with me all spring over this. Drives me nuts.

tim hurley

Yup they did do a switch to an early C&R season, my bad.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tim hurley wrote:</div>

I swear between fishing the early season in WI and last weekend here in MN people really need to look at when fishing seasons actually start. It’s not 1998 anymore.

I know you are kidding Tim but I’ve had people arguing with me all spring over this. Drives me nuts.

People don’t pay attention to the laws, and then like to argue with ignorance

tim hurley

Do you know it is against the law to throw a chicken in the air without the intention to catch it? Pay attention to the laws! And catch that chicken.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

WHAT? And all this time I thought I was law abiding… doah

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Do you know it is against the law to throw a chicken in the air without the intention to catch it? Pay attention to the laws! And catch that chicken.

Is there a certain season this is allowed ? Or continous

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.