Pre-Packaged Jerky Seasonings?

• dirk-w.
    Minnesota

Looking for a change. I’ve never used a pre-packaged commercial type jerky seasoning, but some of the Cabelas stuff get some good reviews. Anyone got a favorite? I need a knock-out seasoning for goose and beef. Sliced, not ground. I typically like a sweet-hot mix, but not too sweet. But hey, if you have any killer mix your willing to share I’m all ears.

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

I usually mix my own seasonings as well but always have fleet farm’s “wildlife seasoning jerky fixin’s” on hand and have always had good luck. They make a bunch of diff flavors and haven’t tried one I haven’t liked- $2-3 a pouch and makes 3 lbs which fits right in my bigger dehydrator. I always ad a couple tbls of white vinegar and some soy sauce instead of water to the mix and keeps a nice moist texture.

Mike Martine
    Inactive
    la crosse wis

WAltons has many different seasonings on their site . I’ve never been disappointed with the stuff I get from them

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I use the backwoods LEM seasonings from fleet farm. there for 5 lb batches, and like it. hickory so far has been my favorite. if your into the cajon, the carribean jerk isn’t bad.

rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

If you like garlic and cracked black pepper you have to try P&S Seasonings. That’s the only jerky I make anymore.P&S

Coletrain27

I like the high mountain seasonings

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

Can anyone say more about replacing the water with vinegar/soy sauce or other things?

Coletrain27

Can anyone say more about replacing the water with vinegar/soy sauce or other things?

I’ve used soy sauce and worstishire sauce as part of marinades for jerky before. Also have used Dr Pepper pop in recipes. They were trial and error recipes I basically made up myself to try different things. Soy sauce i noticed was pretty strong tasting and you don’t need to use much

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

I’ve been making jerky for years with just a strait soy sauce soak. Sometimes add some werschisire sauce. Whole family loves it, gone in a day or two. I buy lean top round or bottom round and run it through the slicer and into a zip loc with the soy for twenty four hours.

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

Wildlife jerky fixins is very good. About the only pre-packaged seasoning I’ll buy.

JEREMY
    BP

PS Seasonings hickory flavor is very good.

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

I add soy because I like the flavor in most my jerky- and as mentioned doesn’t take much. Some jerky seasonings say to add white vinegar and some do not. What I have noticed if I replace the couple tbls of water with white vin it helps it stay moist for longer without drying out AND a softer/gummier texture and is just a bit easier to chew- all positives for me and I’ve never went back.

watisituya
    North Metro

X2 for Hi-mountain

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

WAltons has many different seasonings on their site . I’ve never been disappointed with the stuff I get from them

Bingo

dirk-w.
    Minnesota

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Mike Martine wrote:</div>

Bingo

Well, Looks like I have a lot of option/brands to choose from. Which of the Walton’s brands are your favorites?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.