Pre or post spawn?

• eauclaireboys
    Eau Claire wi

it’s been several years since my schedule allowed me to go fishing early in the spring.

Which bite has a lot more action pre-Spawn or Post Spawn?

My guess would be they put their feedback on as soon as they’re done spawning but that’s just my guess . If that is right how many weeks do you think the bite is real hot.

These are just a few general questions I was hoping to get answered to fish between pool three and five At some point this spring.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

With what’s happening right now I think you’ll have to settle on post spawn.

riverruns
    Inactive

With what’s happening right now I think you’ll have to settle on post spawn.

I agree. devil Good luck.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

river will likely not stabilize until Memorial thanks to the snow melt and spring showers. The correct answer is post but there is a feller here that will probably argue the logic…….Andy…..you able to get the boat out yet?

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Which bite has a lot more action pre-Spawn or Post Spawn?

That’s a tough one to answer. I wouldn’t consider it a difference in action. More so, a difference in tactics and location. Each has their respective presentation that can produce extremely well.

If your seeking that once in a lifetime fat bottom girl that will push the scales over 10#, definitely pre-spawn. If your looking for numbers and eaters, its a toss up.

For myself, I like the thrill of what each part of the season offers. If your into that dainty vertical jigging for a light tap or dead weight, fish daytime early. If you want walleyes breeching the surface and attacking like a freaking musky, 39-45 degree water and cranks at night. Post spawn if you know where they are moving down to eat at to recover from the spawn, it can be lazy man fishing for high numbers.

tim hurley

Read something in a fishing mag that said pre spawn is the best time of the whole year because the fish are very concentrated. Unfortunetly fish do not read those magazines! Post spawn has been much better for me.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I was just going to bundle on what Randy mentioned. If you’re after a trophy, the pre-spawn is the time to target one.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

For me it’s post-spawn, but I am a bit biased as after the spawn I’m on the water a lot more. I only get out a couple of times pre-spawn each Spring as the crowds are annoying and family, coaching, and work commitments are more plentiful in February and March.

Usually April 1 is the date on my calendar where I’m in the boat a minimum of 3 times a week. The river situation now is going to delay that another week or two. I have had my best “numbers days” in Late April and Early May when flow is average for a year and water temps are well into the 50s. That post-spawn willows and head of the lake type bite on P4 can be a homerun. This year it remains to be seen how quickly things can calm down.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.