Powering up the HB in home

• Kirk Charipar
    west central wi

Recently upgraded to a Helix 7 and itching to play with it at home. The boat is 100miles away in storage, so my question is how can I power it up at home? Will a flasher unit battery directly wired work? I would think directly wiring to a marine battery would “blow it up”. Any suggestions?

MNdrifter

Put a cigarette lighter adapter on the end of the power cord (only two wires). Plug it into a jump pack or your vehicles cigarette lighter.

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

12 volts is 12 volts wither it comes from flasher battery or a marine battery. You will use the marine battery in the boat anyway and the flasher battery if on ice. It is a good idea to have an in-line fuse when attached to a marine battery in your boat so if running it indoors off the marine battery you may want to purchase one. What is rating fuse to use should be mentioned in the installation instructions

Have fun

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Will a flasher unit battery directly wired work?

Yes absolutely. This is recommended. If you want to be extra safe use an in-line fuse.

I would think directly wiring to a marine battery would “blow it up”

Wrong. No different than wiring to a flasher battery. If you’re worried about blowing it up, use an inline fuse.

Both battery types are 12v. Your graph requires something like 10-20v.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>kirk charipar wrote:</div>
    Will a flasher unit battery directly wired work?

Yes absolutely. This is recommended. If you want to be extra safe use an in-line fuse.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>kirk charipar wrote:</div>
    I would think directly wiring to a marine battery would “blow it up”

Wrong. No different than wiring to a flasher battery. If you’re worried about blowing it up, use an inline fuse.

Both battery types are 12v. Your graph requires something like 10-20v.

Exactly. I do this with my HDS units between seasons. I had an extra inline fuse so I use it.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I’ve been using a 12v 12ahm battery since back in the days of my lms 350. I bought an extra GPS puck and set it in the window sill while at my desk. Great way to do recon work.

Paul Traceski

For the past week been running my new HELIX 7 CHIRP MEGA SI GPS G3 in the living room, transducer attached in both Simulator and Normal mode. I use my dedicated sonar 12 volt battery with low battery alarm set that I recharge every night. I can get GPS through the roof and in Normal Mode am browsing nearby lakes and setting way-points where I plan to fish.

gregl2017

I got this off of amazon, works great!

Tripp Lite PR12 12-Amp DC Power Supply 120VAC Input to 13.8VDC Output

I got this one so I could run everything before installing in the boat. Check the hub, ethernet cables etc.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Made this a few years ago, added the ice duecer and use my 788 as a second flasher, but also have a second power cord so I can run my 1199 in the house to scope out lake maps in the winter.

(Base fits into that battery box in picture for taking on ice)

Attachments:
    1. FB_IMG_1554683350156.jpg

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.