Pos old gear

• slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

Anyone else have an unusual enjoyment of using crappy old gear? I went for a quick run out on the lake tonight and instead of bringing good stuff just grabbed the bare essentials. Brought the decrepit clam 2000 that it may finally be its last season and some old rods with old line on them.

Caught some sunfish, and verified there’s enough ice to start using the wheeler.
    The old man who said he might make it out swing out and was expecting the otter flip over with comfy seats. Bit of a let down when he saw the 2000 with the little chairs. Sometimes its nice to just go out and not care. If I lose a fish whatever.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

i do it all the time. and more often than not, i do better.
    makes me wonder sometimes why i buy all this expensive stuff. doah

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

I fished and repaired my Ice Cube for a number of years…the pin holes are like a billion stars on it…or it’s no more than just a mesh screen shelter now…LOL. The zipper that never zips where and when you need it most. That shelter did an awesome job.

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

Slippery bob I hear ya. I couldn’t zip the 2000 tight if my life depended on it, but I’m not about to retire it.

ajw

Negative

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

I fished and repaired my Ice Cube for a number of years…the pin holes are like a billion stars on it…or it’s no more than just a mesh screen shelter now…LOL. The zipper that never zips where and when you need it most. That shelter did an awesome job.

slippery bob, all I care about is that you have a high quality, made in Japan, old school, classic, Chronarch 50Mg as your avatar. That’s as good as it gets!

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I enjoyed my 87 Polaris Indy 400 until last year when it stranded me in the middle of White Bear Lake…..Haven’t used it since. Probably should get that fixed. Getting tired of hauling out a big portable on foot already.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I leave nothing to chance. I inspect all my fishing line prior to the start of every season and replace if necessary. I keep all of my gear in top shape and do preventative maintenance on all the associated engines that helps reduce the chance of a failure. If I have any control over it, I’m going to make sure that if I lose a big fish or something fails, it was not under my control. I’m very detail-oriented about all my hunting and fishing gear so that it operates as it should and lasts a long time. Anything less increases the chances for a problem. I wouldn’t label any of my stuff as “POS old gear” because nothing has a chance to reach that status; its either been maintained in top condition or replaced.

munchy
    NULL

I leave nothing to chance. I inspect all my fishing line prior to the start of every season and replace if necessary. I keep all of my gear in top shape and do preventative maintenance on all the associated engines that helps reduce the chance of a failure. If I have any control over it, I’m going to make sure that if I lose a big fish or something fails, it was not under my control. I’m very detail-oriented about all my hunting and fishing gear so that it operates as it should and lasts a long time. Anything less increases the chances for a problem. I wouldn’t label any of my stuff as “POS old gear” because nothing has a chance to reach that status; its either been maintained in top condition or replaced.

You sound like a blast at parties. rotflol

tangler
    Inactive

Munch beat me to that one…

Mahto have you tried a pulk with a belt? I still have a rope on my sled but I hardly use it. Frees up your hands too, handy for checking gps, sipping from the thermos, using the spud, etc. instead of a struggle it’s like a leisurely stroll.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Slippery bob I hear ya. I couldn’t zip the 2000 tight if my life depended on it, but I’m not about to retire it.

I still have an old 2000 although mine is still in “like new” condition. Seems like shortly after I got that, I decided to upgrade to the bigger 5600 and then graduated to a large hub when those came out.

I debated on selling that 2000 but decided for what I might get for it, I’ll just hang on to it. Takes up hardly any space leaning on the back garage wall. Nostalgic too since they don’t make those “suitcase” styles anymore. The original designs, where the “Clam” name was invented.

Mahto have you tried a pulk with a belt? I still have a rope on my sled but I hardly use it. Frees up your hands too, handy for checking gps, sipping from the thermos, using the spud, etc. instead of a struggle it’s like a leisurely stroll.

Do you use something like this? A harness? I don’t have one yet, but I could see where it would make the hike a lot nicer.

Attachments:
    1. Clam-harness.jpg

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Tangler I haven’t used one but I’ve heard they are nice. I have a Yukon XL and it’s a lot heavier than my Cottage was. Love it the extra room but that extra weight is a bear. Built a smitty sled which has helped.

milemark_714

I still use my”POS” 2-man SnoBoat.But I draw the line on old line.

tangler
    Inactive

Andy — yeah something similar. I used a DIY thing I found on the REI website, it was about $30 to build. I deviated a bit — no need for the gear tie-down system with a deeper otter sled. The only tough part was getting the grommets into the otter, but once I gave up on the hammer and used a c-clamp to squeeze the grommet tool from both sides it was game-on.

And speaking of old POS gear, that’s a HECO 2-man strapped to the top of my sled. woot

Attachments:
    1. 4D6EA747-0896-4791-9F75-6E9495E9BFDF.jpeg

2. D8A10EC8-982E-40AD-AA7E-34C9FDA6B257.jpeg

3. 9CF2A3DC-A210-4C17-989C-69E0307BC38A.jpeg

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.