fishing knots

• joemama
    North St Paul

suggestions for the best knots with florocarbon..both to a jig and to another line

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Lots of articles on this… from my reading and experience the #1 Uni-knot #2 Palomar. Fluorocarbon line tested slightly more consistent with the Uni-knot. Make sure you wet it well before tightening!

Fluoro leader to braid…I have never had a Surgeons knot fail and its easy to tie. The books will tell you a double Uni-knot.

sandmannd

Animated Fishing Knots is your best location for knot tying.

I prefer the Polomar Knot for tying on hooks, jigs, swivels, lures, pretty much anything. Tough little knot that’s very easy to tie.

The The Albright Knot is a great one for joining line together.

joemama
    North St Paul

thanks..it’s easier to ask you guys then dig around look at suggestions and not have confidence in a new knot

johnnyb
    Davenport, Ia

I prefer the Palomar for jigs and lures and Uni to Uni-knot when tying to another line.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

To lure, snap or barrel swivel I like the improved clinche still.

When i am tipping my power pro for trolling of jigging i use the Uni to uni if i am NOT expecting to get snagged. If i am fishing snagable areas with PP and want a Floro leader i will use a small #10 SPRO swivel. The uni takes a bit of time and retying often really sucks.

Good luck. -Mark

norge

I like the palomar with mono or braid but had trouble with breakoffs on flourocarbon. I have since read that the palomar is not the best knot to use with flouro. Any others heard this and made changes?
    Lloyd

broadwaybob
    Janesville, WI

If you really want the facts about fishing knots, go to the fishing club where they test them with real testing equipment. Find out about the best knots for mono, flouro, and superlines for any imaginable application.
    http://www.fishingclub.com/video-tv/knot-wars.aspx
    Bob
    NAFC Lifetime Member

VSRangerMan
    Chippewa Falls,WI

For fluro lines I have found the less corners the line makes for me the better the knot holds. Basic clinch knot is what I use for fluro,7 wraps & through the hole.Improved clinch for mono, palomar for braids,back to back uni-knot for connecting 2 line types which I use 6 wraps on connecting braid to another line & 5 wraps for mono or fluro. Arbor knot for respooling reels.

red89
    Hudson

I usually use palomar, but I have heard some say to not use it for fluorocarbon.
    Might try this one… Shaw Grigsby Knot
    Three tag ends seems weird though.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

The quick and easy knot mentioned above and the Shaw Grigsby knot are the same except Shaw doubles the line. Tie it the way Sharon shows only doubled would be easier. If I figured it correctly.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.