Cold day on pool 2

• fishdale

This trip on the river started like many other. Hit a few of my favorite spots but not much biting a few small Pike and a few smallies not to good. I did see a couple of pileated woodpeckers which are one of my favorite birds so I can not complain as any day on the river is a good day. With my hands numb from messing with the transducer and the wind howling I notice something hanging on a bush in the water.

At first I wonder why there is a muskrat climbing a bush but on closer inspection it is a squirrel hanging on for his life. Not sure how he got there but there is a 10 foot bank and there is no way he is going to get up it.

I decide my good deed for the day would be to save the poor little thing. Plan A is to just motor up there and scope it up with the landing net and bring it to shore. Well I motor up there and try to get it in the net and it will have none of that it has a death grip on the bush.

Time for plan B – I lean WAY over the bow and grab it with my had. So far so good. The little critter is less then excited to be grabbed and starts to scratch and hiss at me so I got to get rid of it before it starts to bite. So with a well executed over the shoulder sheephead toss the squirrel lands on some tall grass on top of the bank.

My good deed feeling lasts for about a second before I notice that my off balance throw and leaning awkwardly over the bow did not work well together a couple of useless flairs with my arms and I go head over heels into 3 or 4 feet of water. I quickly jump back in the boat but I am soaked head to toe. The one saving point was I had all my rain gear on so my clothes under them were only really wet and not dripping. Well that was the end of the trip

Luckily there was no one around to witness this and if I keep my mouth shut no one will ever know.

Can’t wait to get back out as you never know what you will see on the riv

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

I do believe you could have won America’s Funniest Home Videos if you had captured this on tape..

Good lookin’ out for the squirrel though!

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

One minute we’re mixing hot pepper in the birdseed and considering the pellet gun, the next we’re risking our lives saving the little buggers. We’re a funny bunch aren’t we?

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Fun read. Glad everyone is ok. Well, except for the spuirrel….

-J.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Fishdale…you are my kind of guy!

JasonP
    Twin Cities

Quote:

So with a well executed over the shoulder sheephead toss the squirrel lands on some tall grass on top of the bank.

The visual in my mind is priceless. Thanks for sharing fishdale…humility is the root of all virtue… and I’m still laughin…

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

You are the man fishdale! Karma is a funny thing. Looks like you got some good fortune coming your way from St. Francis for your good deed.

Chris
    Rochester, MN

Great story… Man I am laughing hard picturing the whole thing play out in my mind

Really glad you are OK

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

I probably would have done the same thing. Then again I’m also thinking of all the nice jigs you could tie with a squirrel tail.

dd

Troll4it2
    Minnesota, Washington, St. Paul

Very funny because I think squirrels can swim.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Funny story. Glad to hear you are all right.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Don’t pike like squirrels, I would have tried to do something too, getting wet isn’t so bad, it just gives us a good laugh and a memory of the good deed we had done.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.