Pool 4 no-wake zone

• brad0383
    Farmington, MN

I just heard that the DNR is trying to get a no wake zone from Bay Point all the way to the dam. Anyone else heard this? This is ridiculous!

jerry b
    western WI

I heard it was the property owners. They’re claiming bank erosion. That’s about as far as I’m going with this one jerr

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Should be for boats OVER 22′ only . Its those tuna boats

perch_44
    One step ahead of the Warden.

Quote:

Should be for boats OVER 22′ only . Its those tuna boats

that ain’t right either. there is no reason for any no wake zone through there.

fishinfool
    mn

Ya know , sitting at the Y and getting rocked by all kinda sized boats is not my idea of a leisure day. I am kinda in favor of it at least from Evertts to the dam.

Sorry
    FISHINFOOL

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I heard it was the property owners. They’re claiming bank erosion. That’s about as far as I’m going with this one jerr

The DNR did a study in a few years back (the study itself took place over many years) regarding the impacts of large boat wakes on the shoreline habitat upstream of Pepin. The results showed some significant damage of critical shoreline habitat.

My posting of this is in NO WAY to be taken as my support for or against. I’m merely posting this to give some background as to why the DNR might be pursuing such a change.

clarence_chapman
    Hastings, MN Lake Isabel activist

They tryed that once up here between Hastings and Prescott.
    Didnt last long

gusschoenfeld
    Winsted, MN

Whats the point? Every time I’m down there I would say 10-20% of the boats dont follow the no wake rules in the area between Bay Point and the bridge.

northstar42
    west central Minnesotsa

Quote:

Every time I’m down there I would say 10-20% of the boats dont follow the no wake rules in the area between Bay Point and the bridge.

Anybody ever see a barge with no wake? They have to push more water than 50 walleye boats.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

there is no reason for any no wake zone through there.

I can think of a couple good reasons, but from Red Wing to the Lock will be a big pill to swallow.

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

How many miles is it from Red Wing to the lock and dam?

dgoodman
    Pool 4

4-4.5 give or take

brad0383
    Farmington, MN

Quote:

4-4.5 give or take

That means it will take an hour to get to the dam from Red Wing. Great, how am I going to explain to my wife why I was two hours late getting home?

jhalfen

Imagine that trip in early April….or any other time we get that good 6-10 mph downstream flow going.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

It’s 6 river miles to the first no wake zone in Red Wing from the dam.

How about a no-wake zone just in the quarter mile stretch in front of Everts?

Where else is there a no wake zone where there isn’t a marina or a narrow section of the river (like Hudson or the Kinni on the St Croix)?

brad0383
    Farmington, MN

I contaced the DNR about this. They told me that it is being discussed on a city and county level in Minnesota. The good news is that both sides of the river and the DNR have to approve it. Don’t let us down Wisconsin…SAY NO. But a no wake zone in front of Evert’s would be nice.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Quote:

Quote:

Every time I’m down there I would say 10-20% of the boats dont follow the no wake rules in the area between Bay Point and the bridge.

Anybody ever see a barge with no wake? They have to push more water than 50 walleye boats.

No one seems to agree with ya NorthStar but it certainly makes sense to this Mississippi visitor…

Batman09
    Michigan

no wake within 100 yards of my boat and I’m happy

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.