Pool 8 Fishing Fix

• mikehd
    Dousman, WI

Since our May 2nd company tournament it’s been a tough 3 weeks for Bret and myself getting back out onto the water due to family responsibilities/functions and “honey do lists”. We had one opportunity for a mid week crappie chasing adventure that ended with us being chased off the water by a storm that quickly blew in and all that kept going through my head as we bounced our way to the landing was the Gordon Lightfoot song about the Edmund Fitzgerald so we needed a “fishing fix”.

Yesterday was different though. Bret quickly made the observation early on that we should just head back in —– the wind wasn’t blowing 30 mph, it wasn’t raining or snowing, it was warm, “how are we supposed to fish in these calm, water like glass conditions anyway?”

The day started slowly while working some flat transition areas off a slough with some emerging weed growth. We were treated to the sight of two wary yearlings (they kept a close eye on the two “grumpy old men” in the boat) coming down to the water and then swimming behind our boat to a peninsula. I have to win the lottery and get a better camera as anytime on the water there are wildlife picture opportunities that need better equipment to do them justice. Of course then I’d be taking pictures and not fishing. We continued to work this area over with spinner baits and ventured into some bays resulting in a few misses and small pike – “but where are the bass”?
    We were able to retrieve a Red Eye shad rattle trap that Bret had launched about 10’ up into a tree a few weeks ago – that made it a great day right there. After trying some more points and drop offs we decided it was time to try something different as that was our plan for the day – multi species so we headed out on the main channel to look to do some trolling – and things were looking more normal, it was starting to rain, “now this is more like it”.

The trolling in the main channel, going up stream using floating Rapala’s on 3 ways produced a few short hits but floating downstream with Bret using a jig and crawler and me using a crawler harness produced some fightin’ sheepies and even a channel cat. After trying some of our favorite spots for early gills, and not finding any we headed back into backwater areas in search of some more “toothy” critters and bass. The first area was really dirty and the weed growth taking off like gang busters so we moved to one of our other favorite spots and it was perfect conditions. The water was clear, the weeds and lily pads were just starting to emerge but leaving lots of space to throw spinners and we were treated to a Blue Herron killing a snake for dinner (and not enough camera to do justice to a cool wild life shot). Bret had on a yellow/green spinner with a K grub on for extra attraction and I was using a white/green “plain Jane” spinner. We started picking up some small pike – those little “hammer handles” can really hit. We observed that the hits are a lot more aggressive with the water temps warming up than they were two weeks ago. Bret caught his big pike on a weedless Johnson spoon and it actually broke the hook. As we got into the far reaches of the bay and the water again like glass Bret couldn’t hold out any longer and put on his bone Super Spook with a big grin and said “I have to try it, I just can’t help it”, “I know buddy” I said “but there is help for you if you need it”. That ended up being the hot ticket and it wasn’t long before I was putting on my “Lake Fork Shad” colored Spook and for the next hour or two the water just boiling around us. These fish would attack it so hard they’d launch it right out of the water if they missed but if you gave it a few twitches they’d come right back and get one of those big trebles right in their “pie hole” ( I learned that terminology from Bret). We caught some small bucket mouths and lost a “toad” out from the boat. We know where he lives so we’ll be back. What a way to start the Memorial Day weekend – on the water having a great day.

Remember to say a prayer for all our Veterans and active service personnel who serve to preserve our freedom. Have a safe and fun Memorial Day Weekend.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Great post Mike
    Looks like you guys had a blast! Those hammers are great pickelers

My honey-do list must be longer than yours…. I don’t get to go till tomorrow…

See you guys out there soon

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

It was a Buddy Mike, thanks for a great read

Watching wakes charge in at baits when fishing crystal clear water at a depth of 1-2 feet gets the ticker thumpin’

Twitching a gold Johnson weedless spoon tipped with a K Grub during the retrieve in a dieing minnow style was impossible for the toothy critters to ignore. I missed more gators than I hooked due too short strikes but, every strike was awesome to watch. If a pike pushing water coming at your bait doesn’t heat up your blood, the coiled strike sure will……if it does not, you must be dead inside

With the heart already revved I almost stroked out when the water erupted around my Spook on its 5th maybe 6th cast

Thanks again grumpy old fart for the company on the water, there was some cool stuff going on around us on a awesome day, for a change

Thank you Veterans and those still active for your service

bosman
    DeSoto, WI

Nice write up Mike! I’d hate to be a fish in water if you & Bret come toddling around the corner……

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

Nice write up there Mike. One of these days I need to try some pike fishing it really sounds like a blast.

john_r
    LaCrosse Wi

Nice read Mike, hope to cya on the water–John

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.