The river….

• James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Hi Jami

Shoot me the link to that hydro page, please.

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

I had just checked it as well

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Thanks Andy. I couldn’t find my bookmark for that one.

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

I looked at this earlier today and did not see this, they must have just updated the page data.

Thanks for posting this

Steve Vick
    New London, MN

Ooooohhh, I can see the current seams forming as I type! Now if I just had time to fish and didn’t live 3 hours away!!!…………..Man, to have Deans job and be able to fish everyday!!!

redneck
    Rosemount

Take your pick Steve, do you want Dean’s job or to fish everyday because you KNOW the two don’t co-exist very often
    Seen too many days where Dean was looking longingly at the river and then had to go right back to work!

les_welch

so does someone want to explain what that means to me. I am familiar with the river and lake, but all postspawn, low water levels. What does the rising water indicate and do for the fishing?

I assume muddier water, will provide a better bite?

Will the higher flows push the fish into smaller, less fast water?

What should I look for on Saturday?

Thanks, WTA

Steve Vick
    New London, MN

Quote:

What does the rising water indicate and do for the fishing?

I assume muddier water, will provide a better bite?

Will the higher flows push the fish into smaller, less fast water?

What should I look for on Saturday?

Thanks, WTA

Both of what you mentioned are true WTA. Rising water is a prime time to catch walleye on the river…..for so many reasons, but probably the main reason is that rising water pushes fish to the edges of the river (current seams) and ultimately concentrates more fish in less water, which means your odds of hooking up increase. Last week (as all winter has been), the fish could hang out anywhere they wanted and not had to fight current. That will change this week! With that being said, you still need to fish current seams in prime locations. Sand flats/bars….which generally form in inside bends of the river seem to hold prespawn walleye. Rip-rap shorelines create awesome current breaks for walleye. Wingdams do the same. There are so many places. And the beauty of it all is that some of these spots change even throughout the day this time of year! “here today, gone tomorrow” is definitely true this time of year! Don’t be afraid to try new places. The “dam” area has a ton of fish, but a ton of boats too. If that’s not your cup of tea, move downstream till you find a nice looking current seam all to yourself and give it a try. If it doesn’t pan out….keep moving down river. Oh to be close to the river again!

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Steve (or others).

Coming next weekend for a first time ever. Forecast looks like increased flow, with the rain also expected, I assume that is a safe bet. With flow, does the water usually darken, and if so, does that also tend to push more to the edges, or even into shallow water? I was at least thinking of trying some of the what look like side backwater entries (assuming a lot as I am just working off maps). Chasing walleye for a first time would be fun, also look for crappie while I am at it.

Thanks

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Quote:

Ooooohhh, I can see the current seams forming as I type! Now if I just had time to fish and didn’t live 3 hours away!!!…………..Man, to have Deans job and be able to fish everyday!!!

Deans job is very frustrating as you get to see and watch everyone fish as you work. As of saturday the 1st time and last time he had his new boat in the water or fished for that matter was exactly 3 weeks ago for the FYB tourney then it was rite back to work. Not entirely the life of luxury and fishing every day as one would think but a TON of hard work. I believe Deans hours that he works are 6am-10pm with no time for fishing. My hats off to you Dean you are one hard working man that doesnt easily get side tracked by the river ever so close to you

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

You see, Steve would know nothing about this “work” thing. As when he ran the resort, there was a coffee can with donations painted on the side at each ramp. His boat was never to be seen, except running up and down the river. Then he made the fatal mistake so many of us make. He got married!! Wasn’t long after and his dreams were shattered.

redneck
    Rosemount

Yeah, Steve has a hard life now In a few years he and his little guy will spend more time on the water than most fathers and sons I am betting!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.