RUBBER NETS

• airpart

I just bought a new rubber net at Bass Pro and tried it out this weekend. I have to say that it was almost comical. I’ve never used one of these before andneedless to say it was an experience. One of the small eyes that we caught used it like a trampoline and fortunately bounced into the boat. It seems that if you have a fish with some weight (like a big sheepie) it works fine, but for anything smaller and long it is really an event. I really like the net for not getting the fish and the crankbait all tangled up and the hooks don’t get embeded, but the trampoline effect was quite a suprise. Anyone else have any problems with these types of nets, or comments?

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I think Holst coined the term “Tennis Racket”

-J.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Same experience. They’re ok in that it’s easy to get fish and hooks out of them, but a high quality coated mesh bag is worth the addt’l investment.

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

If you think the rubber net is stiff now just wait until you use it in the middle of the winter. I used to have one several years ago but I sold it at a garage sale. I went back to the net type. I promised myself I wouldn’t complain about getting my crankbaits fowled up in my net. I have not been able to keep that promise.

Eyehunter

690reece
    Hutchinson,Minnesota

I run a Beckman with a coated net and I have had GREAT success with it! I mainly pull cranks and I have not had a crank get fouled badly yet. I have had BIG and little fish in it with no problems. I have seen alot of people struggle or lose fish because of there rubber nets! Good Luck!!! 690reece

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

I love my rubber net for eater size walleyes..panfish..etc. Of course it is about fifteen years old, and it is twice its original size.. so it works perfectly…

phishirman
    Madison, WI

My fishing partner sling shotted a 4.5 lb largie out of the net back in the water as he was scooping it up with a stupid rubber net. Thank god I had her stuck good. The piece of crap of a net is for sale if anyone is interested. 5 bucks!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I think Holst coined the term “Tennis Racket”

-J.

Yup… serve n’ volley walleyes.

I’ve seen a guy get about 4′ of air on an 11 Lb walleye… twice in the span of 45 seconds…. trying to use one of those nets.

It would have been comical as all heck except the walleye was mine.

Thankfully the fish was hooked exceptionally well and we did land it on the third try. I wouldn’t wish one of those rubber nets on anyone.

john-tucker
    Northwest Illinois

I’ve been using a rubber net for 2 1/2 years, and can honestly say I’ve never lost a fish due to it. The key is to net them smoothly and steadily, no rapid sweeping. A gentle scoop and up they come!

davenorton50
    Burlington, WI

Jim Jones and I fished a partner tournament about 5 years ago and I scooped a 3 pounder for him with his rubber net and the fish flopped back into the water (still got it thank god). After that tournament we both have not used a rubber net since and never will. I gave mine away to my neighbor 5 years ago.

heitda
    Eau Claire, WI

Yup, stay away from the fast scoops with the rubber nets and you’ll be fine. Although a lot of first timers don’t have a clue about that. Love the rubber net for bass fishing and panfishing. Walleyes and northerns don’t work so well as they can stretch it enough to go through one of the holes in the net.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.