speed limits on the Miss.

• pbitschura

I read in the LaCrosse Tribune that speed limits on the river outside of slow zones is 30mph. HUH? Since when?

Anonymous

Yep. I was one of the lucky ones who didnt get caught. I had no clue. I hit double nickels several times!

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Is that only a Wisconsin/MN thing? I’ve never heard of that before… Seems like an unscrupulous law enforcement officer could really rake in some $$$ during some of the tourneys on the Iowa pools.

SNAKEYES
    Iowa

How long has this law been in place? I’ve never heard of Iowa/Wisconsin sharing a speed limit law on the river. It would be interesting to find out if there is a law like this. SNAKEYES

Anonymous

Here is an article in the July 5th edition of the La Crosse Tribune:

———————————————————
    Cruise control: Authorities out in full force for busy day on river
    By LINDA McALPINE / Of the Tribune staff

If it floated, it was on the city’s rivers on the Fourth of July.

The river was full of people leisurely cruising on pontoons and zipping along with the wind and waves in powerboats and personal watercraft.

While having fun, however, boaters who didn’t abide by the rules of the river ran the risk of being pulled over by any one of a number of law enforcement agencies, including the Campbell Police, La Crosse County Sheriff’s Department, Houston County Sheriff’s Department, the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources and U.S. Coast Guard.

These agencies together patrol a stretch of about 20 miles of water, all the way north in the Black River to Sias Isles in Onalaska, south in the main channel of the Mississippi River to beyond Goose Island. Not to mention any little slough or sandbar where a boater in trouble might be.

“We’re not out here to see how many citations we can write out,” said Erich Zwicker, an officer with the La Crosse County Sheriff’s Department who, with partner, John Zimmerman, manned the department’s 22-foot boat. “We’re out here to educate boaters, as well.”

A case in point was the first powerboat they pulled over early in the afternoon on Thursday.

The boater was going a little fast in a slow-no-wake zone of the Black River and was given a warning and an explanation of what “no wake,” means by Zwicker, who also did a quick check to make sure the couple had the required number of personal floatation devices and a fire extinguisher on board.

“I’m really sorry. I didn’t think I was doing anything wrong,” said the chastened boater. “The last thing I want is a ticket from you guys.”

“That’s the biggest problem we have on an afternoon like today,” Zimmerman said. “People not paying attention to the slow-no-wake area.”
    Actual tickets, when issued, aren’t cheap – a no-wake violation is $138.68.

And yes, they do have the laser radar. Outside of the slow zones, the speed limit on the rivers is 30 mph.

Despite being law enforcement, many people waved as the patrol boat passed them.

Sometimes, boaters stop the patrol boat.

“Hey, where can I park?” asked a young man astride a personal watercraft. Zimmerman gave him some directions, and he headed off in a splash of speed.

Zimmerman said the increasing popularity of such watercraft have been increasing headaches for law enforcement on the water.

“Fishermen, other boaters and people who have homes or boat houses along the river complain about them a lot,” he said. “Sometimes we even get calls from the tow boats about people on personal watercraft coming too close to them to jump the wake behind them.”

Approaching the Airport Beach area on the Black River, Zimmerman whistled low under his breath. It looked like you could almost walk from one boat to another without getting your feet wet.

A quick eye saw a violation in the making as a boat towing a water skier got too close to another boat. Two more warnings were issued, one for being within 100 feet of another boat and the other for not having the boat’s registration numbers on the side.

Making a stop on the water is much more complicated than doing one on the road, as both boats bob in a slight chop and drift with the fast moving current. Care also has to be taken to avoid bumping the other boat, possibly causing a dent or scratch on something that could cost its owner thousands of dollars.

Patrolling near Goose Island turned up a family who were stranded with motor problems. They happily accepted a tow to the nearest harbor.

By about 6 p.m., boaters are out in earnest, vying for good anchoring spots in the Mississippi for prime seats to the fireworks.

“There will probably be about 400 boats out here tonight. It’s going to be a long, long night,” Zimmerman said with a sigh, as their stint on boat patrol probably wouldn’t be over till long after the fireworks finale Thursday evening.

Zwicker offered some advice for those who venture onto the waterways.

“Boaters should pay attention to what’s going on around them,” he said. “They’re having a good time and that’s great, but everyone else is having a good time too. People need to know the rules and should use some common sense.”

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Steve, Is this just in that area or for the whole river? I have never heard of such a thing before. Thanks, Bill

Anonymous

Its La Crosse. Theyve been doing this in recent years during the Riverfest period. Must be some sort of local ordinance.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Wew! Thought maybe it was the whole river. Thanks, Bill

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

My wife and I went out last light to watch the fireworks at Marquette Ia. After the show was over we stayed anchored until the rush was over. There is now a no wake zone out in front of Marquette. Getting to the point……as we got under way a 20’+ pleasure boat came up behind us at a good clip(going through the no wake zone) missed us by about 10′ and ran right over the no wake bouy. I think we all should go through a boaters safety for certain areas we will be operating in.Each area having a area specific test for knowledge of the area . And yes I think we should pay for this test. It would be a small price to pay for saving a life..

Be Safe 100% of the time !!!!!

ec

larsonlawyers
    Nelson Wi

it does sound like a good idea but would be more troublesome than helpful. i think it would tend to steer more people away from the area.

BobKnutson
    Austin, Mn

Sorry, but I’d have to disagree with that. As hard as we try we just can not legislate common sense. Why should I pay for a test because someone else did something stupid? I would be the first one to agree that we need to make those who do stupid things accountable for their actions. This reminds me of the accident on the St Crois last summer with the two power boats. Everyone was hollering about speed limits when the real problem was that the operators were intoxicated which is already illegal. I doubt a speed limit would have changed the outcome of the accident.
    Respectfully Submitted
    Bob Knutson

HYBES
    SE MN

so does this mean that on pool 8 there is a 30mph speed limit outside of no-wake zones? What about other pools?

Anonymous

During riverfest in La Crosse (July 3-7th this year) they always enforce that on pool 8. I do not know about other pools.

urbanrivers

I do not think that speed limit is for the entire river. Pool 1 has a 45 mph speed limit posted on the bridge supports.

ptc
    Apple Valley/Isle, MN

It really is time for speed limits. At least from Memorial Day to Labor Day.

Honestly I think 25mph would be great. That is 1/2 of my WOT speed, but would still let you move around the river. I don’t think speed is completely the problem. Careless and rude behaviour is the problem. But, I think if you lowered the max speed to 25mph it would drive away most of the people that are causing the problem

my 2 cents.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.