Fall and Winter Fishing – When do you hang it up?

• flanders51

I was wondering when everybody decides to hang it up for the year on the river. I just bought a new boat that I want to keep fishing on the river.

I have some concerns about cold weather and things freezing in my new boat and engine. I can research that, but I was trying to get a perspective on what everybody else does. Is there a time when the bite shuts off for good or is it simply a matter of comfort level when fishing and taking extra precautions with safety and your boat?

As long as I feel safe, my boat can take it, and I am reasonably warm, I could probably fish year round as long as the river is open.

Just wondering what everybody’s thoughts are. Thanks.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

If it isn’t frozen over, there are guys out there fishing it.

Snap

I usually put the boat in storage around mid November. I know i’m missing a lot of good fishing. I usually fish alone which I won’t do in freezing water since a life vest won’t stop you from freezing to death.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Quote:

365 days a year!!!!

X2

Now I need to get 4 wheel drive on the PT cruiser that pulls my rig.

a.j.-wiesner
    Ely,MN / Rochester,MN

Quote:

I usually put the boat in storage around mid November. I know i’m missing a lot of good fishing. I usually fish alone which I won’t do in freezing water since a life vest won’t stop you from freezing to death.

so I take it you would rather not die alone?? nobody else in my own boat is going to save me if something happens….we are both dead. Think this week i’ll go jump in the lake to make for a good cold water training video

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Some advance planning… cleaner deck for safety, extra set of dry warm clothing, organize and enjoy less traffic as long as I can get to open water.

Remember the boat has a thermostat, and may not pee for a while while warming up. Drain trailer before pulling out. Pack some sand and salt if it seems like a good idea (weather and landing), plug live wells and live well drains, little wd40 on trolling motor shaft…..

micah-witham
    Richfield

I fish the river on Pool 2 pretty hard and I would echo some others…as long as there isn’t ice at the landing it’s worth fishing. One old timer that has a lot of reports on this section of the river from years back says the biggest walleye he’s ever seen on pool 2 was in January no more than 500 yards from the launch! There are big fish to be had in the colder months and as long as you dress for it and the WIND isn’t too bad, you can stand a lot more than you might think. Wind is the real key in my opinion.
    I typically just pull my trolling motor straight up and lock it with the nut instead of putting it totally away when I’m moving. So basically I raise it up so it’s just out of the water when I’m on plane.
    Clear the deck, don’t run the live well, drain the trailer, run the motor out of the water so the water is all pumped out and be smart.

396ranger
    Cottage Grove MN

Well I tell the wife my route and call when I get to landing and call when off the water. I picked up a mustang survival floater coat (integrity) and it is awesome in the cold, and rain. It seems to never get to hot or to cold

fishdale

Mid November once skiing starts to get good I hang it up. I fell in the river in Nov once was not that bad but I think I set some sort of speed record getting back in the boat. Amazing how dry you stay dressed head to toe in Gortex.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Ive been known to slide my jon boat down the snow covered ramp, out over the ice along the edge to hit open water. There’s nothing like a nice 15 too 25 degree day with no wind and the walleyes are biting, and the crappies too and you can hear a squirrel look for food in the snow 200 yrds away. Just don’t fall in and drain the water, bring an extra pair or warm socks and gloves just too make sure. A hand warmer in the coat pockets doesn’t hurt either.

Steve Thompson
    Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Been a number of days where we’ve fished thru the ice above the Oahe dam and then fish from the boat below the Oahe dam in the same day. The biggest walleye I ever caught was caught from the boat in early February. Casting jigs between the skim ice chunks floating by and sucking the ice out of the rod eyes.

As long as you make sure you get everything drained as quickly as possible after pulling out the boat, I never put the boat away.

Keep extra dry gloves, hats and jackets in the boat. A good duck blind heater works great in the boat.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

About 15 to 20 degrees for this guy. Get below that and ice up eye lets get to be a pain. A nice bright day with no wind can keep a guy fairly warm in those temps.

jerrj01
    Hudson, WI

If and when the ice fishing is better than the open water fishing. Means you have to check out both which there is no down side.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

Mid November once skiing starts to get good I hang it up. I fell in the river in Nov once was not that bad but I think I set some sort of speed record getting back in the boat. Amazing how dry you stay dressed head to toe in Gortex.

I’m not discounting cold water much.

Depending the area a person is fishing in and a persons ability to climb back into a boat, it’s actually pretty safe as long as one keeps common sense top of mind.

Take near Lock and Dam #3 for instance. With a PFD on I beleave most folks could swim to shore from anyplace in the river if they couldn’t get in their boat. ‘Course that’s when you would need to rely on someone else to pick you up.

If the water was fast and cold, which it seldom if ever is in the winter months it would be another story.

Most are like Mike W. As long as the line doesn’t freeze to the guides they are fishing the river….just there are some that would rather not talk about it as they would perfer to fish it alone.

PS Speed and Ice Chunks can be deadly in the winter. As River Dan.

redneck
    Rosemount

I think the boy and I had our boat on Pool 4 every month of the year for two years straight. A January day with sun and no wind can be great for open water fishing. I think BK was working the bait shop one day when the boy and I headed out in pretty nippy conditions and were back at the dock in less than an hour with a limit of good fish and a couple pictures of nice throw backs. If it hadn’t been for a phone call that someone needed help getting a car started I hate to think how many fish we could have caught that day. You know it is a special day when you drop your line down and before it hits bottom it gets smacked and you look back and the boy had a good one on too. We threw back a pair of 19 inchers right off the bat and it never slowed down. You guys can have your ice fishing!!!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Mine has to be stored to make room for the sleds and wheelers. It will be soon. The days are too short to fish after work on weekdays and my weekends are all full with hunting and other stuff. I’m so programmed I don’t miss it in the late fall. With that small break I get more excited about hard water fishing.

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

Quote:

You guys can have your ice fishing!!!

When it comes to walleyes ice fishing is going to be better than fishing the river about 1% of the time if you are talking the southern 2/3 of the state. I like to catch fish. The ice auger collects dust and the boat hits the river. I might change my tune if I ever move to Baudette.

flanders51

Quote:

We threw back a pair of 19 inchers right off the bat and it never slowed down. You guys can have your ice fishing!!!

Well, I think I might just consider not hanging it up all year too. My big worry is fishing alone in cold conditions. I am always concerned about the “what ifs”. I have two little boys and they don’t need their daddy gone because I had to go fishing in January.

Nice posts, though. Thanks.

redneck
    Rosemount

I understand what you are saying Flanders and a guy definitely has to keep his head on straight in the cold weather months—really all year on Old Man River. I have no idea where you are located but Pool 4 is a unique place once cold weather hits. All the fishing–or the vast majority of it is upstream from Evert’s Resort. It is only a couple miles from the dam so a place to warm up isn’t far away. Most winters the current is low and that makes the river a much safer place to navigate. In all my years of fishing I can’t think of one fatality from cold weather fishing on Pool 4. As far as your boys go—my boy was always in the boat with me so I was extra careful. Sometimes life is about getting out and living I will put this offer out to you, if you live close enough this Winter I will offer you an open seat when we are headed out. I will warn you though—it will change how you feel about ice fishing

jerrj01
    Hudson, WI

Is the open seat offer open for others?

flanders51

Quote:

I was wondering when everybody decides to hang it up for the year on the river.

Well, I had a fun October and November. Not a ton of fish, but lots of fun in the new boat. However, with cold temps coming up and Thanksgiving hitting me, I may just hang-er-up.

(P.S. unless it gets real nice in December):)

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.