Lilydale area?

• stevew
    Burnsville, MN

I was driving down along the river the other day. I checked out the launch at Lillydale – never been down there before. It looks really “fishy” down there. It is on my list to explore next year. Anybody have general impressions of that area?

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Can be some very good fishing up there this time of year. Vertical jigging places like the dam, confluence and just up river from the landing can hold lots of saugers with some eyes mmixed in. Have seen guys fishing the brush piles on the banks up there and at the dam for crappies. low light and evening working the shore lines should produce walleyes.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

I personally haven’t been up that way in a few years but i’ve had some very good fishing there in the past.

Confluence area is good, up near the dam, several wingdams in the area.

I should get back up there and recommend exploring the area to others!

Eric

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Confluence worked real well for us early in the year this season for catfish.

We’ve also fished the wingdams at Lilydale, but it might be pretty shallow there now?

I am hoping to convince my nephew to get out on that stretch Saturday morning.

fishdale

I fish Lilydale a lot. Nice area for smaller boats as there is not a lot of barge trafic and the river is a lot easier to navigate than the big section down by 494. The confluge is good and you can motor up to the damn also. Fish anything the is causing a seam in the current and you can usualy find fish. I mainly fish Gulp minnows and switch to half crawlers in the summer and do ok.

If you have not fished pool 2 before just a heads up that it is catch and release for Eyes, Saugers, Smallmouth and Large mouths.

Good luck

stevew
    Burnsville, MN

Thanks! Appreciate the tips.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Fished up there to the damn on the IDO P2 tourney recently. Everyone else did better down stream that day.

bgianpetro
    Minneapolis, MN

Quote:

I was driving down along the river the other day. I checked out the launch at Lillydale – never been down there before. It looks really “fishy” down there. It is on my list to explore next year. Anybody have general impressions of that area?

That’s interesting because I just did that exact same thing. I’ve always launched at either 494 or Lions Levee, but I’d never really spent any time upstream. I went down to Lilydale the other day and it definitely felt a lot different than further downstream. I guess that’s the beauty of Pool 2 – there’s so much to explore. I posted a couple of pics of the exposed wing dams at Lilydale in the Walleye forums, too.

I’d also like to explore some of the backwater areas like Greycloud Slough, but I think I need to first concentrate on catching fish in my usual areas instead of burning gas driving to the backwaters.

jiggin-rake
    inver grove heights, minnesota

Not sure about right now but springtime fishing in the backwaters by grey cloud is awesome for crappie, bass, pike.

fishdale

Regarding Wing dams. They basically disapear just north of Lilydale. No wing dams from the 35E bridge to the the lock.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Quote:

Regarding Wing dams. They basically disapear just north of Lilydale. No wing dams from the 35E bridge to the the lock.

I beg to differ. They arent airport or Pool 4 wing dams, but there are old ones that hold fish.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.