Pool 4 this week?

• eauclaireboys
    Eau Claire wi

I haven’t had a chance to get to pool 4 at all and reading previous posts from weeks ago it doesn’t look like I have missed a lot.

Then I see a tour you this weekend with many big fish.

Not being a pro by any means, would there be fish to catch from redwing (town) to the dam?

Or is it really slow still and not worth the 2 hour drive?

Any advise would be great thanks guys.

Buckeye86
    Inactive

The water is now crested so fishing will get better. The clarity is still pretty good and were close to the great post spawn bite. Water temps are climbing and the weather looks great for the next couple days. Bring your trolling rods and live bait rigging rods. I would try to be here as long as time allows because the river can humble even the greatest anglers. Stop in at 4 seasons sports or everts resort they will be your best resource for what’s happening.
    You can’t catch em if you aren’t on the water!!

One

Monday fishing May 2. Trolling 2hrs on lake Pepin. Me and my uncle got this.!

Attachments:
    1. image-6.jpeg

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

One. Nice bunch of fish.! waytogo That is pretty GOOD action to catch those fish in just 2hrs. Mite Say You put the smash on them.! … rrr

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Yes it’s worth it. We caught fish from Everts down last weekend(never tried Upriver from there). If I were down there today I would be trolling somewhere around the head of the lake.

Chris Messerschmidt
    Minnesota

Fished the AIM event there and fish can be had for sure! We pulled fish in down town red wing pulling cranks on a three way at 4.5mph down stream. The liked it fast!

I watch 2 guys in the tournament catch a couple dozen dinks in very short amount of time on blade baits just south of red wing by the bridge.

I wish we would have made it out to Pepin, but saturday’s pre fish was a stiff wind and we went to the mouth in a 25mph head wind and the waves would have been miserable to fish in.

Rainbow620

Just a question about three way rigs? I have hand lined and lead line and long lined all on the river at different times! But haven’t ever pulled cranks on three ways! Your probly thinking why not right! Well I haven’t ever made a trip when that seemed like the thing to but thinking about trying it soon! My question is how much weight on dropper and how much line back to crank from three way swivel? I would assume the same cranks I run when I handline would work just fine? Appreciate the feedback just haven’t ever tried this method yet! Sounds like fun though!

Pig-hunter
    Southern Minnesota

Just a question about three way rigs? I have hand lined and lead line and long lined all on the river at different times! But haven’t ever pulled cranks on three ways! Your probly thinking why not right! Well I haven’t ever made a trip when that seemed like the thing to but thinking about trying it soon! My question is how much weight on dropper and how much line back to crank from three way swivel? I would assume the same cranks I run when I handline would work just fine? Appreciate the feedback just haven’t ever tried this method yet! Sounds like fun though!

We were running 4 ozers on stacker rigs this past weekend going against the current of course.
    I run about a 3 foot leader to the first crank then about 18 inches the second one. We caught fish on them during our prefish and in the tournament end of last week. #7 or #9 floating raps or flat raps is what I used.

It’s not really fun to be honest. Better than hand lining for sure, but your wrist will get sore if you hang on to the rod. Fun to me is catching them pitching jigs or something.

Good luck!!

Rainbow620

The stacker is this like the shank I use handlineing? 5 ft leader with cleaves every 6 inches or so?

Chris Messerschmidt
    Minnesota

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Rainbow620 wrote:</div>

We were running 4 ozers on stacker rigs this past weekend going against the current of course.
    I run about a 3 foot leader to the first crank then about 18 inches the second one. We caught fish on them during our prefish and in the tournament end of last week. #7 or #9 floating raps or flat raps is what I used.

It’s not really fun to be honest. Better than hand lining for sure, but your wrist will get sore if you hang on to the rod. Fun to me is catching them pitching jigs or something.

Good luck!!

We ran a 3 way swivel with about 20 inche drop to a 3oz bell weight. Then about 2 1/2 ft from the 3 way back to a #5 Salmo Hornet. Key was going with the current. It is fast but its the only way we could get fish. Going against the current was no good for us and everyone else in that area.

I will agree with the poster above it is NOT fun fishing that way. I can’t even tell you how many times I had to untangle line from my drop to my crank. I almost called it quits because I was getting sick of it but it worked so we ground it out and kept at it.

Rainbow620

Awsome article!! That had some very useful information thank you!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.