Pool 4 November 4th , 2016

• 4seasonsport
    Inactive
    Red Wing, MN

The river came up a bit on Tuesday of this week, with the rise the water got a little stain to it. This rise of dirty water slowed the bite down Tuesday and Wednesday although several boats were still very successful. The water has started to clear back up and recede this morning so I expect the bite to turn back on.

I have had some messages about these reports that we are misleading you guys into coming down. I promise that is not what we are doing. I get asked how it is and I let you know what are customers are seeing and reporting.

That being said, you are still going to have to look for and work for these fish. The guys who are doing really well are getting away form the crowds, finding the bait fish and slowing down. I personally have been involved in 60 – 80 fish days in the past week. We are more than happy to tell you each day what we here is working and give you a general area to start out but from there you will have to fine tune your presentation and techniques.

Good luck to all of you coming down to enjoy this great November weather and I truly hope it is successful for you.

Thanks, Chris

shockers
    Rochester

Chris

Though I don’t always agree with the reports (from anyone), I do appreciate them. Might I suggest you also put the reports (and date them) on your web site? Would be a service, I think.

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

I find it funny that most of the guys complaining about the reports on this site are the same ones who are always asking for help in finding fish. The bite can’t always be “Stupid good”. That is Walleye and Sauger fishing by nature, one boat can be just slaughtering them, while the boat right next to them can’t get bit. Subtle differences make or break your day, and Everts does everything in it’s power to arm you with the knowledge and gear needed to give you the best chance to have a good day.

Do you guys have any idea how many not so great days, the most experienced anglers who consistently have success now days, have went through to get to that point? Like Chris has said, if you don’t believe the report, go spend a few hours before dark sitting by the fish cleaning shack and see what other people bring in. He can only report the general bite, not what each individuals skill level can accomplish.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

I find it funny that most of the guys complaining about the reports on this site are the same ones who are always asking for help in finding fish. The bite can’t always be “Stupid good”. That is Walleye and Sauger fishing by nature, one boat can be just slaughtering them, while the boat right next to them can’t get bit. Subtle differences make or break your day, and Everts does everything in it’s power to arm you with the knowledge and gear needed to give you the best chance to have a good day.

Do you guys have any idea how many not so great days, the most experienced anglers who consistently have success now days, have went through to get to that point? Like Chris has said, if you don’t believe the report, go spend a few hours before dark sitting by the fish cleaning shack and see what other people bring in. He can only report the general bite, not what each individuals skill level can accomplish.

SAY WHAT???? You mean I might actually have to work and put in some effort to catch fish? Screw that noise let me know when they are committing suicide so I can go catching instead of fishing toast

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

SAY WHAT???? You mean I might actually have to work and put in some effort to catch fish? Screw that noise let me know when they are committing suicide so I can go catching instead of fishing toast

x2 waytogo toast

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

You could also add that the Mississippi and St croix offer the best chance to get on good fish as almost anywhere. Given they are this close to the metro is astonishing. I like optimistic reports…gets me even more excited to get on the water.I’m glad people are having success.

BTW, pool 2 is pretty blown out and muddy, too. I was there yesterday and the water came up and it was soupy. Fish didn’t seem to mind though.

Greg Perz

I always appreciate a good report, it helps me convince my fishing partner (wife) that it is worth an hour and a half drive…

We will be out tomorrow!

Greg

Jonesy

Bite was really good not great for me today. Looked to be great for a few boats and not so great for others.

On the water at 0730 off at 1500 I ended up with a limit. Buddy who is a novice but improving walleye fisherman got half a limit. Boated 15-20 fish. Fished with a crowd. Will never complain about a 15-20 fish day. Saw a guy and his daughter fishing within 20-30 feet of us probably had a 40-50 fish day. Talked to many of boats that had their limit and even more that got some fish. Hard to complain about blue sunshine skies and 60 degree temps in November.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

If you want a sure thing when it comes to catching fish you had better go to a fish market to get a limit. whistling

Nick Meyer

Bite picked up tremendously this morning. The bigger fish were snappin. Boated around 20 walters and a dozen bass, including a 19″ 4+lb largie. Walleyes were mostly 16-18″ with very few dinks (caught them early as heck in the mornin!) Things might be priming up for some lights out hog catchin in the nxt week or two. Tight lines ppl and happy fishing!!

gonecribbin
    reads landing MN

Report: (Obvious first) 60-70 degrees in November, higher water levels than normal, hovering water temps at peak temperature..

Fish are biting on almost everything, vertical jig & minnow, hair jigs, blades, denver rigs, 3 way rigs, leadcore.

Plenty of fish from Pepin to the Dam with spring hotspots producing the better numbers of fish.

The great bite will only improve if everything from line one ^ remains the same, and it sounds like its going to..

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I hope this is relative But I’ll take a not so good accurate fishing report anyday over one that’s pumped up. We went fishing early this morning wading from shore for wipers and whitebass. When we got there the water had dropped almost 2 feet in the last week and we had a feeling the fish would be there, but they weren’t in the same spot as a week earlier. For about 2 hrs we fished where we had before and found more snags jigging then in the deeper water of the previous week, and got a few but not yet a good bite.

Knowing they were there I started searching for them and they were in the most unlikely spot and I never though they would be there. We were there before the sun came up and with the water dropping and it cooling down I though maybe they were still laying out in deeper water and occasionally coming in shallow too feed so we bounced our jigs about a foot off the bottom out in the deeper water with no improvement, where were they?

I then thought to myself what I do In the cedar river when their not hitting in the slower water, then maybe by chance, they would be in the faster water up by the dam and that’s where they were. I got 4 wipers around 2 1/2 to just over 4lbs and about 15 nice whitebass. I would have never thought that they would be up in that faster water feeding because I thought the water may be getting too cold but it wasn’t yet and they were. The bite didn’t last long at about an hour but it was a good bite, then we noticed the water had dropped a couple inches so they had slowed down the discharge up river at the Coralville reservoir hours earlier and the fish shut completely off.

Something I’ve found is even when you think there might not be a good bite or have it last very long or not shure about the bite at all, you can still sometimes catch a lot of fish if your fishing and not waiting for a hot fishing report and staying home. BTW my neighbor was there and I hooked a good fish and got it up next to the shallower water and the fish hit Don’s waders and it got off. He said it was a nice walleye because I didn’t see it and it felt like it could have been around 3 too 4 lbs but that’s why they call it fishing.

Some guys make a report by fishing more and some guys wait to find out from others, I think Id rather catch more fish, even if the bite only lasts an hour atleast I’ll be there instead of fishing from the couch.

casey walters
    Mapleton, MN

Was out the 5th got on the water by 8 and fished till 4 what a great day weather wise. The fishing was ok wouldnt say on fire but also have done worse. We fished from covill park down to can line trolled raps found the best bite in ten to 6 feet of water. Ended the day with 6 keepers biggest 18 incher and total fish for the day around 20 no bass or sheephead just walleye sauger. Color didnt seem to matter every bait would catch a fish or 2, speeds were 1 to 1.5. I’m no river expert but to me was well worth the 90 mile drive.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Jesse Krook wrote:</div>

x2 waytogo toast

Your pictures have surly been lacking this year,is that a sign of your success,or lac there of?

whistling

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Coming up for several years during the Spring and fall runs I appreciate any info I can get to narrow my search options…and appreciate any insight from this website. As others have pointed out…one still has to figure out what is going to work for them and their techniques… I don’t care for trolling or pulling rigs on the River…that’s what I do the rest of the season on the Great lakes. Pool 4 is a special place for me to cast plastics, hair jigs, and blades.
    I get excited on the “thump” of an Eye smacking a Moxie or K Grub. All the tackle I bring is geared for this…
    Over the years I figured out that even colder water temps than Pool 4 has now will push even more mature walleyes out of Pepin chasing Shad… But the mild temps forecast for next week will be welcome as well as any fish we can fool…

Somehow I became 70 yrs old…The days I can get out there suddenly become a LOT more valued than ever… Good Fishing to All

hnd

the last 2 times we’ve had the boat out, guys pulling out their boat both times reported very poor fishing. i love to jibber jabber with fellow fisherman, i don’t ask how the bite is but they’ll generally just give it up. everyone reported poor fishing.

i just do my thing and both days we did well on fish.

lots of liars i’m sure but lots of people who really only wait until spring/fall and the fish are all kind of up near the tailwaters.

not a big deal, there are fish there, and ultimately sometimes its easier to fish what you know than go out with limited time and scour new water.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

hah @ Jeff Huberty

I’ve posted a few fish over 25″ on Facebook this year. Anything 25″ and under I don’t even think to take a picture of anymore. I quit posting here because of the whiners that don’t appreciate a good fish pic and report. There’s definitely no lack of catching fish from my boat. Speaking of lacking fishing I’ve seen more pictures of your golf clubs this year than the fish you didn’t catch LOL

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Jeff, I schooled Jesse last Saturday morning on the Croix. coffee

basseyes

hah @ Jeff Huberty

I’ve posted a few fish over 25″ on Facebook this year. Anything 25″ and under I don’t even think to take a picture of anymore. I quit posting here because of the whiners that don’t appreciate a good fish pic and report. There’s definitely no lack of catching fish from my boat. Speaking of lacking fishing I’ve seen more pictures of your golf clubs this year than the fish you didn’t catch LOL

It’s sad what the whiners do. Some days it’s tough fishing. Some days it’s great. More often than not it’s somewhere in between. My goal is to have fun no matter what and just learn something, no matter how small.

glenn-d
    N C Illinois

We had a great trip last Tues-Thursday both quantity and size. And chased a few crappies too but they were elusive.

Attachments:
    1. 20161103_110408.jpg

2. 20161103_130708.jpg

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.