Pool 2 Ice

• mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

With the Smallmouth season coming to an end in the next couple weeks and me getting increasingly sick of sitting over a hole, is it even possible to shorefish Pool 2 right now? I haven’t been down there for a bit but I’m guessing there has to be some ice on the edges of the river.

tangler
    Inactive

It’s a resl mess down here unfortunately. They have also had BOTH hidden falls entrances closed for several weeks now, which obviously limits access considerably.

This pic was taken Jan 30 from the shore at Crosby farm right next to watergate. Not exactly current but it’s been a chilly couple of weeks so I’m guessing…?

Btw those boot tracks went all the way down stream to the confluence and the took a hard right turn out over the main channel and right up to the edge of open water. Not for this guy!

Attachments:
    1. F07A843A-6060-4057-9974-D8F58DB737A3.jpeg

tangler
    Inactive

Also smallmouth season never closes on p2 so whenever the river does open up you’re good to go. CPR of course.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Also smallmouth season never closes on p2 so whenever the river does open up you’re good to go. CPR of course.

Yep I know. I was referring to the Monticello area which is where I typically fish smallmouth on the river.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Shore to shore ice from the confluence down past 494….

Also seen some foot tracks out there that make me cringe!

-J.

Johnie Birkel
    South metro

It really blows my mind when I see the people skiing on that ice. I’m no expert, but the skis I have don’t pop off like down hill and actually take a little art to remove. Going through in current would give a guy zero chance.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Is it solid most of the way up to the dam? I typically fish the Fort Snelling area up to the dam. I should probably just take a ride down there and see for myself.

tangler
    Inactive

Last I saw yes. Can’t drive down to HF to check tho. And all the overlook parking lots on the St. Paul side are gated for winter as well. Your best vantage point would probably be crossing the Ford bridge. Only access point right now would be to hike from the state park or to park in the neighborhood up above HF and walk down.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

That or hike down from Minnehaha falls park along the creek and hope for some current hitting the shore there.

-J.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

The Hidden Falls side was open Sunday when I crossed the Ford bridge – you’d need to hike down there if the gates are closed. Might be some fish along the shore up near the dam. I used to have good luck up there in the early spring but never shore fished then the water was this cold.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

They have also had BOTH hidden falls entrances closed for several weeks now

Only live a mile or two from these entrances and was very surprised to see them closed. They were open in early January but must have closed soon after that. Tried to check out the bite down there when it hit 40 for a few days a couple weeks back. Pretty frustrating. I assume they close it to keep idiots from going out on the ice? Hopefully its reopened pretty soon. Ill be itching to go as soon as it hits 35+ again.

tangler
    Inactive

Only live a mile or two from these entrances and was very surprised to see them closed. They were open in early January but must have closed soon after that. Tried to check out the bite down there when it hit 40 for a few days a couple weeks back. Pretty frustrating. I assume they close it to keep idiots from going out on the ice? Hopefully its reopened pretty soon. Ill be itching to go as soon as it hits 35+ again.

I shot an email to an acquaintance in the Parks dpt and go this response:

Our maintenance crews have had a very difficult time plowing the north entrance road recently and had an event where three maintenance vehicles were stuck and one slid into the barriers trying to clear the roads. Our operations department is keeping it closed until it is safe to plow and maintain.

Jeff mattingly
    Lonsdale, Mn

If your looking for a really good vantage point go drive around the VA nursing home off of 46th st and 46th av. Can’t get a better look at the dam then there.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20190213-112640.png

tangler
    Inactive

Took Jeff’s advice since I had some free time today. The rip rap by the lock is still locked in pretty good, but the river looks to be moving ok. If you could get down to hidden the falls the shoreline sheet doesn’t look too bad. I agree with Jon Jordan, the best opportunity right now may be to hike to the mouth of the creek from Wabun picnic area.

I didn’t get that far downstream buy fort Snelling state park may also be an option.

Pretty day today.

Attachments:
    1. AD15DFA1-6833-4AEB-8464-41835BE0F4AE.jpeg

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Took Jeff’s advice since I had some free time today. The rip rap by the lock is still locked in pretty good, but the river looks to be moving ok. If you could get down to hidden the falls the shoreline sheet doesn’t look too bad. I agree with Jon Jordan, the best opportunity right now may be to hike to the mouth of the creek from Wabun picnic area.

I didn’t get that far downstream buy fort Snelling state park may also be an option.

Pretty day today.

Where are the water skiers?

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

More open than I expected! waytogo

-J.

tangler
    Inactive

Where are the water skiers?

Right? I launched at hidden falls 27 feb of last year and the skiiers were the only other boat on the water. This year you can’t even get into the park with a vehicle.

tangler
    Inactive

I made the hike down into hidden falls and Sunday afternoon. The ice sheet connected to shore on the Forth Snelling side downriver is still too much.

Pretty good trek into HF with all the snow. On my way in I ran into one other angler and we chatted for a minute. Both of us were surprised to see somebody else willing to hike down there. Neither one of us caught anything. Pitched jigs and twitched a jerk bait around for a while until the wind and iced rod tip made it miserable.

Nevertheless it was good to be casting again.

I did notice there was a lot of brownish “goop” on the rocks. Anytime I dragged my jig along bottom it’d come back covered in this nasty stuff.

Deuces

It’s hard to beat monticello in the winter. Personally I hate dealing with ice shelves and the ice chunks that come with winter river City fishing from shore.

If nothing else sitting back on the shore up in Monti right at sundown with the flocks of many types of duck, geese and trumpeters that fly right by you is breathtaking. Fish or no fish, it’s awesome.

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

Shore fishing hidden falls is pretty futile this time of year. I’ve snow shoed down there in December and caught one or two small walleyes from the rip rap in the middle of the night, but that’s about it. Better off fishing it in dark hours with how clear the water is in the winter

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

It’s hard to beat monticello in the winter. Personally I hate dealing with ice shelves and the ice chunks that come with winter river City fishing from shore.

If nothing else sitting back on the shore up in Monti right at sundown with the flocks of many types of duck, geese and trumpeters that fly right by you is breathtaking. Fish or no fish, it’s awesome.

I’ve fished Monti about ten times this winter. It’s no doubt a great fishery but it closes in 5 days. Pool 2 stay open for C&R all year.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

I’m seeing more open water. Decent channel at the highway 5 bridge, some open water around 35E. We might be out by early March

tangler
    Inactive

The hidden falls gate entry hill is clear as far as you can see down, but gates remain closed. I’ve written to ask what’s up with this. They now have the following posted on their website “WINTER ACCESS: The gates at Hidden Falls Regional Park are closed during winter due to the steep entrance roads becoming hazardous in snowy and icy conditions.”

I swear this has never been the case with the north gate. If it stays shut much longer it’s going to limit angler access during a popular time for sure.

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

I mean, try if you must…

From shore you might as well stay home until you’re willing to trek 1.5-2.0 milezzzzzzz down fort smelling for a shot at a fish or two from April-May. After that, you’re better off waiting until late May/June to fish upstream of the confluence from shore.

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

Oh, and…

God is subjective, beer is good, and MF’rs are neurotic.

Goodnight/good morning!

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I mean, try if you must…

From shore you might as well stay home until you’re willing to trek 1.5-2.0 milezzzzzzz down fort smelling for a shot at a fish or two from April-May. After that, you’re better off waiting until late May/June to fish upstream of the confluence from shore.

Not sure where you’re fishing but I walk less than a mile to my spot in Ft Snelling and catch more than a couple fish usually. Especially early Spring. All you need is a state park pass and you cut that walk down a lot.

Andrew Hubbard

He us talking about pike island which is right next to fort snelling.

tangler
    Inactive

I think we’re all talking about Pike Island or the area very nearby — but AUTO_5 was talking about walking down the steep hill from the actual FORT, and Mahto was pointing out that you can park a lot closer at the bottom of the hill if you enter Fort Snelling State Park, which is not the same thing as Fort Snelling.

In other news, Hidden Falls north gate remains closed despite the road on the hill being almost totally clear of now. The operations manager at St Paul parks is ignoring my emails. I’m annoyed. What’s new?

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Andrew Hubbard wrote:</div>

I think we’re all talking about <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>Pike Island or the area very nearby — but AUTO_5 was talking about walking down the steep hill from the actual FORT, and Mahto was pointing out that you can park a lot closer at the bottom of the hill if you enter Fort Snelling State Park, which is not the same thing as Fort Snelling.

In other news, Hidden Falls north gate remains closed despite the road on the hill being almost totally clear of now. The operations manager at St Paul parks is ignoring my emails. I’m annoyed. What’s new?

Guess I didn’t realize the difference…..I’m sure shore fishing is the least of city workers issues currently right now, unfortunately.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.