Plastics for Tipping Walleye Spoons

• Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

What are your favorite plastics for tipping walleye spoons?

Has anyone tried using the business end of small curly-tail grubs or swimbaits?

Thanks, Joe

GoldWinger

I have been wondering the same thing. Hard to go away from a minnow head though.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I have yet to see plastic minnow heads. Minnow heads are the only thing that will work. And if you don’t have live minnows, I think you can try using some that you preserve in salt or pickle juice or vodka. Unless you freeze them in coke. I don’t think you’ll get as many bites though… ???

realtreeap10
    Over there

I can say I have tried the Northland Perch eye plastics and caught nothing, I do have the Northland plastic minnow heads and have yet to try them. They are convenient for not having to buy bait but I don’t think they are as good as a minnow.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

I’ve had no luck on the Gulp minnow heads. All the imitations are just just a chunk of plastic in the rough triangular shape of a minnow head.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I’ve had no luck on the Gulp minnow heads. All the imitations are just just a chunk of plastic in the rough triangular shape of a minnow head.

applause

Attachments:
    1. bingo.gif

Tim J
    Duluth, MN

Clam’s line of plastics has a minnow head that is decent. Heavily scented and has a few little danglys hanging off that give it some action. I have caught fish using it but not close to a fresh minnow head. I usually start with one on when I’m hole hopping and trying to dial in a location so I don’t have to deal with fresh minnow heads freezing and falling off and getting hands cold. But once I start getting some lookers and no biters I switch over to the real deal.

curleytail

Last year I was catching some perch on the smallest size jigging rap, but they didn’t want to eat it unless i tipped the treble with a Little Atom Micro Nuggie. It didn’t work well with the tail on it though. Pinched the tail off so it was just a round ball and that worked. Most were hooked on the bottom treble.

That was perch, but I’m considering doing the same thing with a regular sized Nuggie for walleyes to see what they think about it.

Tucker

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Been using whole minnows more, feel I get more fish than with just a minnow head.

Jason Guthmiller

I’ve caught a lot of eyes on the northland perch eyes and minnow heads. Pretty good luck with the maki xl mino also. I wouldn’t say I would use it exclusive but some days I don’t pinch a single minnow. Not a bad idea to use both plastic and real. If they get your head and stick around you can still work it without rebaiting.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

What are your favorite plastics for tipping walleye spoons?

Has anyone tried using the business end of small curly-tail grubs or swimbaits?

Thanks, Joe

I save my ripped ones from open water and use them for winter…sometimes I use them to tip my cranks and inline spinners.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.