PJ Fleck new Head Coach

• sktrwx2200

P.J. Fleck to be named next Gophers head football coach

sktrwx2200

sorry apparently the link doesn’t work

Dan
    Southeast MN

What you did post is amusing though. Apparantly, related to anatomy, the Gophers needed a new head haha

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Row the Boat!!!! I like it!

blackbay
    mn

Hopefully this guy rows with two oars and not one like Brewster, otherwise the Gophers will be up a creek without…well an oar.

BTW does anyone else think that Coyle had contacted Fleck quite a while ago to gauge his interest? Seems a deal was set up pretty fast.

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

They are saying it has been 2 weeks in the works

big_g
    Isle, MN

Dear Glen,

I am happy to share with you that we have hired P.J. Fleck as the 30th Head Football Coach in University of Minnesota history. We feel that he prides himself on our values of excelling on the field, in the classroom, and in the community.

We will be introducing Coach Fleck at a press conference today, Friday, January 6, 2017 at 3:00pm CST. The press conference will be televised live on the Big Ten Network and can also be seen live via the Gopher Football Facebook and Gopher Football Twitter accounts.

We are extremely excited about the future of Gopher Football with P.J. Fleck as our new head coach. Thank you for all of your support and we look forward to seeing you at TCF Bank Stadium this upcoming season!

Go Gophers,

Mark

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

I heard on the way home last night or on the way back in today that Les Miles was flying into the cities to interview… Just sayin’

Mark

big_g
    Isle, MN

I heard that too and said ….why ??????????????????

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

Supposedly Les flew in Wednesday. My guess is the U wanted to make it look as though they were making an effort to land a big fish.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

If the report of $21 milliin for 5 years are correct they are overpaying for a 36 year old with no expierence at the Big 10 level.

But….. Whats money eh?

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I wonder who they’ll hire in three years… coffee

I hope he enjoys great success. It sure would be nice to see a coach and his staff be here for a decade or so. Usually the head coach isn’t even here long enough to see kids they recruited graduate.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Well, I called that one correctly. That’s quite a spendy upgrade for the U, going from Claey’s salary of $1.5 million to the new Fleck contract of $3.5 million per year.

A million dollars here, a million dollars there, pretty soon we could be talking about real money here. Oh well, no big deal for the Ivoy Tower high rollers like the U’s President and AD. It’s only taxpayer money after all.

Does anyone else see an undergrad tuition increase coming next fall?

Grouse

munchy
    NULL

Does anyone else see an undergrad tuition increase coming next fall?

I was just about to post the same thing.

bradl110

Now next on the agenda is to get rid of the AD and President.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I chose the wrong career. That’s a lot of money for a self promoting motivational speaker.

Does he know what a waterfall is? Does he understand that instead of fighting the current, you can just ride it out?

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

If the report of $21 milliin for 5 years are correct they are overpaying for a 36 year old with no expierence at the Big 10 level.

But….. Whats money eh?

Just think what the price tag would’ve been had he coached Western MI to a victory over Wisconsin in the Cotton Bowl. $30 million? blush

trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

Kaler is under contract until 2020…. wonder what his buyout would be. He makes a paltry $600K/year. At least a couple of the Regents are taking issue regarding the management of the overall athletic department. Basketball, Wrestling, Football… all programs have had major issues in the last 12 months.

Go Gophers.

Charles

Just think Fleck was making 800K a year now he is making 3.5million a year, holy crap!

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Fleck just signed a new contract with WMU in 2016.
    Contracts don’t equal commitment.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Fleck just signed a new contract with WMU in 2016.
    Contracts don’t equal commitment.

I often think about those things too but then I remind myself that it works both ways. Teams and colleges will sign players/coaches and then terminate them, whereas Fleck signs contract then leaves. Or NFL player negotiates and signs new contract, then has one great year and holds out for better contract, when he already agreed to one set of terms.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Well he sure can talk the talk. We will see if he can walk the walk.

He reminds me of a televangelist.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Holy crap!

I’m listening to the press conference!

I love this guy! I wish him the very best in execution.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Well he sure can talk the talk. We will see if he can walk the walk.

He reminds me of a televangelist.

lol! Listening to the press conference. He said “I eat difficult situations for breakfast” he makes Brewster seem like an introvert!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I chose the wrong career. That’s a lot of money for a self promoting motivational speaker.

Does he know what a waterfall is? Does he understand that instead of fighting the current, you can just ride it out?

I think this guy knows to swim cross current to reach his goal swifter. )

CaptainMusky

Holy crap!

I’m listening to the press conference!

I love this guy! I wish him the very best in execution.

IDK, I listened too and I was getting very irritated. I wish him the best, but glad I don’t have to listen to him very often, super annoying. Just get the job done and leave it at that.
    Half the time he was yelling and most of the time he was talking but really saying nothing, of substance anyway.
    The part I thought was really interesting was when he was asked about handling scandals or the like.
    He said “I made 1 mistake with a player, but there was nothing legally I could have known about it before”. He said it was his mistake, but there was nothing he could do about it in regards to determining said players character, etc, but how is that his mistake? IDK, it was all fluff to me. Saying what he thinks people want to hear.
    Its like polar opposite to Claeys personality that is for sure.

kwp
    Eden Prairie

After all the ra-ra’s and hype settles down what happens to the MN taxpayers when we get a new AD?? From the U of M President and the AD there has been firings, resignations, interim positions, buyouts….This situation over there is a mess funded by the taxpayers. Has this been fixed yet?

Will our new coach get a nice buyout in a couple yrs from the new AD after Coyle? Every time leadership changes they want to bring in “their guy”. Out with the old and in with the new including buyouts funded by us.

You can even copy and paste what was said by Coyle about Claeys and use it in about 2 to 3 yrs with this new guy. An even better situation is a nice fat contract extension given by Colye before the new AD axes him. Guess who funds the buyouts?? shock

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I think Coyle will survive this mess. Once this firestorm passes he has a bunch of work to do thats for sure. If it’s true Fleck is getting 3.5 million there better not be any buyouts connected to the contract.

I’ll take a wait and see on Fleck. I’m one of the few that thinks this years record was built on a soft schedule vs Kill making the program that much better.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.