Perfecting tip-up fishing

• 31lifer

I would like to focus on having my second line be a tip-up this year but I need to know the must haves so I can put together a tackle box that will have everything I need for walleye and northern fishing. I have all the basics already but being a rookie at this I want to have everything I need to be a pro at this. Any advice is appreciated!

Lund1775
    Waconia, MN

What do you all have already? One thing I always have on hand while tip up fishing is some sort of harness, like the clam big tooth rig. Another thing is i bought a 2 pack of window alarms from Home Depot and rigged up to the tip ups so i am not constantly looking out the window for flags.

31lifer

I have a couple of rigs similar to the Big Tooth rig but that is about it other than different treble hooks and weights. What is the best line to use? It would be nice to have a tackle container that has options to choose from if needed.

badgerfishing
    Wausau

Without getting too much into it I think the basics would be a sinker, a good treble hook and I personally run 10lb fluoro for walleyes. And if you want to get a little more adventurous put some sort of spoon on instead of a sinker(depending on minnow size). Some days they have just preferred that.

Lund1775
    Waconia, MN

I use Power Pro braid 20# plus sometimes with a mono leader, just have to be careful with the power pro when pulling fish in since its thinner, i personally use a small Plano custom divider stow a way box otherwise the Flambeau tuff tainer for the umbrella rigs would also work i might pick one up myself. As for a complete storage bag i have used the gray clam rod locker and i currently use the striker ice transporter. I found that VMC sure set trebles work very well.

Lund1775
    Waconia, MN

I also mainly tip up fish for pike, which probably would have been good info to start with

Bruce Keister

What I’ve found to be really effective and actually the only way we tip up fish for big pike and walleyes is just running 20-30 lb black tip up line and then putting about a 4 ft leader of 20lb mono on, and then tie on a 2/0 single hook, preferably eagle claw baitholder, and we use light northerns or sucker minnows, very simple but is super effective

Bill Sackenreuter
    Devils Lake ND

I like to keep a small tackle buddy in tackle box, snells with different leader material,tie wilson fasnap on one end and small barrel swivel on the other, with snap swivel coming off tip up line, about the fastest way to change species/lures.

Bill Sackenreuter
    Devils Lake ND

I like to keep a small tackle buddy in tackle box, snells with different leader material,tie wilson fasnap on one end and small barrel swivel on the other, with snap swivel coming off tip up line, about the fastest way to change species/lures.also put a3/8 egg sinker on tip up line before snap swivel many times just clip a steel leader and treble to this to fish northern.quote]

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Coated tip up line with a mono leader.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

Unless I’m using big suckers, I prefer to use a single treble hook, I seem to get a better hookup ratio that way. When pike fishing that is. I use tip-up line, usually 30 lb for around the metro and 50 lb on lake of the woods. I stay away from thinner braid as I don’t want my hands ripped up :).

Sinkers, trebles, tip-up and minnows, that’s about all you need. If it’s really cold then something to keep the hole from freezing over is nice to have.

Oh yeah, I also get some of those driveway marker things, the little bright orange reflective poles. I like to mark the tip ups so snowmobilers don’t run them over.

Lund1775
    Waconia, MN

Like philtickelson said holes covers gander or fleet farm have some that are well worth the couple bucks they are. thinner braid does have it’s cons like the potential ripped hands, i haven’t had a problem yet could be setting my self up though, tried tip up line just wasn’t that big of a fan of it but i keep some handy.

Greg R.
    New Berlin, WI

Im with badgerfishing on this. I use 30# suffix tip up line. 10# fluro leader, split shot, and a red treble hook. When I am fishing for northern I will go to a 20# fluro leader or a steel leader.(my friends give me crap for not using a steel leader when pike fishing) but, I rarely lose them to a line break.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Rusty hook and frozen creek chubs. coffee

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Make sure you have a mouth spreader and a good pair of forceps.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.