Paper straws and saving the world

• riverruns
    Inactive

WOW!! Our inconvenience over a crappy paper straw drew this.

Well I hope none of you are using lead shot, and you all pick up your plastic shot shells from shooting?

My point in posting this was serve the crappy paper straw in a plastic cup and then we need to get a plastic spoon too finish the drink. I couldn’t find a crappy paper spoon to replace the crappy paper straw.

Anyone still use lead for sinkers? I’m also still using my 2500 ram diesel even if I don’t tow anything. Long live the plastic straw when you can find one.

We will be stocking up on a large case of plastic straws when we come across them. Those we will sneak into the ball games and replace the paper ones. Maybe sell a few on the side. You never know.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I agree that we need to start somewhere. I am very much a conservative, but the one thing I don’t get is the resistance to make a few changes that will be better for the environment.

^This x100, couldn’t agree more

I used to think I was too a conservative, but I’m not a blanket conservative. That’s a generalization. I’m a fiscal conservative and socially a moderate conservative. That’s where I draw the line. I’ll be the first to admit what’s going on in our current administration… bashing environment preservation and using executive order to minimize advancements in protecting resources and minimizing pollution is dumb. Outdoorsmen and women who support this like sheep because they like to identify as “conservative” are equally as dumb.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

WOW!! Our inconvenience over a crappy paper straw drew this.

Well I hope none of you are using lead shot, and you all pick up your plastic shot shells from shooting?

My point in posting this was serve the crappy paper straw in a plastic cup and then we need to get a plastic spoon too finish the drink. I couldn’t find a crappy paper spoon to replace the crappy paper straw.

Anyone still use lead for sinkers? I’m also still using my 2500 ram diesel even if I don’t tow anything. Long live the plastic straw when you can find one.

We will be stocking up on a large case of plastic straws when we come across them. Those we will sneak into the ball games and replace the paper ones. Maybe sell a few on the side. You never know.

You definitely drive around towing nothing with your ugly giant ram mirrors sticking out.

…sorry I had to

Attachments:
    1. EFFF1F2C-D579-4418-9441-07049F543AB1.png

riverruns
    Inactive

You definitely drive around towing nothing with your ugly giant ram mirrors sticking out.

…sorry I had to

And you only wish you could.

Shotgun shells use to be made out of paper. We should go back to that?

Point being some things are OK the way they are. I am sure glad that I don’t live in the world where I see all the crap and plastic floating down the river as some describe.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

You do realize that a lot of the trash that gets dumped in SE Asia, comes from the US, right? And once it’s shipped out it’s “officially” “recycled” as far as the US is concerned. And now that they’re no longer taking our trash lots of cities are ending, scaling back, or needing to pay a lot more to continue their recycling programs, and landfilling more and more plastic.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2018/oct/05/huge-rise-us-plastic-waste-shipments-to-poor-countries-china-ban-thailand-malaysia-vietnam

Plastic recycling is a giant fraud, and that poop lasts forever.

This^^^^

Im all for reducing the use of plastic. I dont buy the argument that “well its only a straw”. you gotta start somewhere and yes your life will be less convenient with a reduction in plastic. It wouldnt be a sacrifice if it wasnt

Reef W

The reason they start with straws is that they are too thin, light, and flexible to go through mechanical sorting. The rest of your cup can be recycled, a plastic straw couldn’t be.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

What’s the over under for number of posts before a paper straw thread gets dusted?

Reef W

I did switch to 100% bismuth a couple years ago for pheasant hunting whether non-toxic is required or not. It’s harder to find lighter loads in non-toxic but this year I’ll also be trying bismuth #6 for grouse which I think should be fine. I admit that with a semi-auto I often can’t find my own shells but I pick up any shells I do see and think I come out roughly neutral on shell litter.

Dan
    Southeast MN

What’s the over under for number of posts before a paper straw thread gets dusted?

Well ya know, it starts with straws….pretty soon they’re coming for our guns….

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Let me try and help.

The world is ending in 12 years anyway, can I get my plastic straw back?

I don’t understand why they haven’t outlawed using plastic bags and balloons for fishing. They use that crap all the time on Wicked Tuna. I guess when they read the Nat Geo company line about saving the planet and caring about tuna populations it gives them a pass.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>lindyrig79 wrote:</div>
    I agree that we need to start somewhere. I am very much a conservative, but the one thing I don’t get is the resistance to make a few changes that will be better for the environment.

^This x100, couldn’t agree more

I used to think I was too a conservative, but I’m not a blanket conservative. That’s a generalization. I’m a fiscal conservative and socially a moderate conservative. That’s where I draw the line. I’ll be the first to admit what’s going on in our current administration… bashing environment preservation and using executive order to minimize advancements in protecting resources and minimizing pollution is dumb. Outdoorsmen and women who support this like sheep because they like to identify as “conservative” are equally as dumb.

If only other ‘fiscal conservatives’ would realize that the current ‘conservative’ party in the US is about as far from being fiscally conservative as possible. At least as it relates to minimizing debt.

I agree with everyone that’s saying you have to start somewhere.

Attachments:
    1. n85re.So_.79.jpg

munchy
    NULL

I agree, you have to start somewhere. However test your product before releasing it! It’s PAPER! Maybe put a light wax coating on it? Don’t just release it and say “Oh it fell apart within 30 seconds? Deal with it”. If you release a decent product to replace an already functioning and liked product then it needs to actually function and be BETTER not be a major downgrade.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Convince me a straw is worse then a water bottle? Oh-water bottle makers such as Coke I guess have better lobbyist…If your going to “start somewhere,” start with something that’ll actually make an impact.

In other news, Minneapolis is looking to ban ALL new DRIVE-THRU’s…

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2019/08/09/minneapolis-bans-new-drivethrus

But seriously…what about plastic water bottles????

Reef W

But seriously…what about plastic water bottles????

All disposable plastics are bad but I’ve already posted a major difference between straws and larger plastic parts: straws can’t be mechanically sorted for recycling.

You don’t think that starting with something that is generally not recyclable makes sense?

Edit: and I know they aren’t currently made out of a commonly recycled plastic type. The reason there is no push to change the plastic type used is because it doesn’t matter if you can’t physically sort it out.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Don’t kid yourselves, somebody is getting rich over the straw deal/scare…. with little research, the major manufacturer in the US is Aardvark… their stock has gone from the $25 range a week ago, to around $15 today… (FWIW, according to Aardvark, the straws that break down before 1 hour of use, are typically from China… imagine that)

Plus in many studies, the carbon footprint to produce/use paper vs plastic straws, plastic wins hands down as the better for the environment overall… and McDonald’s came right out and said, the cannot recycle the paper straws, but they did the plastics.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

They can only have a chance to be recycled if the bus boy picks through your trash and puts them in something to be recycled. I have a hard time believing a burger jockey is going to pick out the straws.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I am just repeating what the study said. Maybe the bigger McDonald’s, the effort was made ? I would certainly throw my plastic straw away in a designated bin… most airport eatery’s already have multiple bins for different materials.

(you can’t get a styrofoam container in Hawaii anymore… they have all gone cardboard… new meaning to the term sticky rice)

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Were screwed! Paper vs Plastic straws. AAARG! doah The world of wants is our downfall to oblivion. TO DARK? shock

riverruns
    Inactive

Were screwed! Paper vs Plastic straws. AAARG! doah The world of wants is our downfall to oblivion. TO DARK? shock

I’m assuming in 11 years, or is it 10 now? Not sure when the 12 years left of planet earth was mentioned by nostradamus predicting the end to us because of plastic straws?

Wait, my cow just farted. Maybe that was it.
    Anyone for a soy burger?

Reef W

Don’t kid yourselves, somebody is getting rich over the straw deal/scare…. with little research, the major manufacturer in the US is Aardvark… their stock has gone from the $25 range a week ago, to around $15 today… (FWIW, according to Aardvark, the straws that break down before 1 hour of use, are typically from China… imagine that)

Yeah, that’s definitely “little research”. What’s the symbol for this stock? Could you link us to some quotes maybe?

walleyevision

Here’s a crazy idea….wait for it….put your cup up to your mouth, tilt back and let your drink run into your mouth. No straw required!

eyeguy507
    SE MN

the real problem is that China and India need to hand out condoms instead of stainless straws. truth hurts and I blame those 2 nations for our global problems. Look and see how much pollution is emitted by those 2 players. Not to turn this thing political but when Trump’s term is up, he will need to up his Environmental game. Time to hold these so called poor nations responsible for $hitting in our oceans and our air. Greed is such a force that it brings out the worst in people………..unfortunately.

roger

Paper straws is another fine example of how stupid some people can get! But that is our leadership!

matt

Make sure you use paper straws we have to start somewhere.Just dont question the tons upon tons of car eating salt dumped every winter, or all the lawn fertilizer and the other chemicals dumped on lawns and farm fields.

big_g
    Isle, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>big_g wrote:</div>

Yeah, that’s definitely “little research”. What’s the symbol for this stock? Could you link us to some quotes maybe?

Very weird…. I go and try to find the info from yesterday and it’s gone… cannot find it, not in my browsing history… nothing. I know the company was Aardvark, but they were bought by a Company called Hoffman, in Wisconsin I believe…. wish I would have made note of the stock symbol, cannot find it now. Shouldn’t be too hard to research this I wouldn’t think… unless someone didn’t want others to know it…. maybe Dunder Mifflin ?? doah I will keep looking…

eyeguy507
    SE MN

If everyone picked up their $hit and disposed of it properly instead of throwing it out, we would have one less finger to point. too many slobs around here. me and my kiddo filled a landing net full of garbage at the Roschen landing in LC before we put in. It was her idea and it gave me a warm feeling inside knowing that she actually cared about it.

Deleted

I buy straws in bulk at Sam’s. Everything that’s thrown into our garbage is incinerated. What’s the difference?

Land of the free, or just highly taxed & regulated?

munchy
    NULL

Attachments:
    1. download.jpeg

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

I’m so sorry if you got trapped watching this video like I did…for some reason I couldn’t turn it off.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 68 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.