Selective Harvest

• corey_bechtold

With Panfish in most lakes starting to begin their spawning rituals I thought it would be good to make a post reminding everyone to practice Selective Harvest . Bluegills are especially prone to getting over-fished so we need to remember to throw back some of the bigger fish so the genetic strain can get passed on. Crappies are also easy to target this time of year and they can really school up. When I fish this time of year I only take what I need if any. We as sportsmen need to try and self manage so good fishing can be had for a long time.

Remember Selective Harvest and we all can enjoy good fishing in the future.

Good luck,

Corey Bechtold

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Good Call, Corey!!!! I practice selective harvest all the time!!!!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Corey

The message of your post aside, which is a good one I’ll add, you take VERY good photos. Or do you have someone taking good photos of you?!

Whomever is responsible… there’s skill and thought involved and I for one appreciate it.

Keep them coming.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

What size gills and crappies do you like to keep?

livetofishmn
    Mankato, Mn

that is a really sweet pic

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

What size gills and crappies do you like to keep?

When I was on a very good crappie spawn bite I released everthing from 13 inches and larger. I kept only a dozen crappies from 11-12 inches for the frying pan.

Very cool picture and post

corey_bechtold

Thanks for the compliment! I take a lot of the pictures but my kids help out as well. It’s a little scary when you hand a nice digital camera to a 5 year old to snap a picture.

I’ll tell the kids you like their work!

Good fishing,

Corey Bechtold

p.s.
    If I am looking to take some fish home for dinner I keep Bluegills under 9″ and Crappies under 12″. There’s not much difference at the table and it feels good knowing that the big ones are still in there.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

The few times I get out crappie fishing its the 10″ to 12″ ones I like to keep. Keeping a limit of them is of no interest to me. Keeping just what will make a meal is it.

Nice pictures Corey.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Another thing to consider from my perspective is that you need to understand what the fishery is comprised of. I had a friend who said, “I am not taking any fish, only C&R”. I told him to fish the small lakes for a period of time and then consider which fish need to stay and which can be selectively harvested. Some systems might be able to stand 12″ fish being kept, others you may need to downsize that by a couple of inches.

In my boat crappies usually get saved (released) for other fisherman to catch, but with the gills, if I start to keep them, then I keep them all including the 6 or 7 inchers releasing the 9’s and above. If I am cleaning them, I am cleaning them.

Mark

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Corey, what brand digital do you use? I also love the quality of your pics. VERY sharp colors.
    Thanks, Bill

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.