Willow Creek Reservoir

• Ed Stern
    Goodhue, MN, Goodhue County,

Today, I had four hours to kill between Mayo appointments, so I thought, “Let’s fish!” So, I took my panfish rigs, and found Willow Creek. I had never been there, but had heard that there were crappies & Sunfish in the near golf course pond. As I arrived, I watched a young lady bring in her 2nd crappie…..a fat keeper. In the next hour, she caught one about every five minutes, mostly because it took her that much time to unhook & add the fish to their pail, and then rebait. Her husband, in the same time, caught two. She gave her spot on the fishing dock to her mother. And mom matched her daughter’s numbers until they reached their limit of five each. Another not quite so successful fisherman & I moved into the hot spot after they left. In a few minutes, we, too, had our five crappie limit & looked to find some of the plump sunfish lurking in the same water. All but one, a nice 8 1/2″ bull, refused to even look at our gulp & waxworm combination, or the plain gulp maggots, suspended about 15″ below a bobber. (Although a couple of crappies knew they were safe taking the hook.) I left with five crappies between 9″& 10″. They are now in my freezer, waiting for a chance to be devoured later this weekend. Can it get any better than this?!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.