Charlie brewer crappie lures

• iceman35
    upstate New York

I’m a crappie rookie but plan on a crappie trip or 2 this coming year. I was wondering the opinion of some of the charlie brewer crappie lures. That little road runner deal looks nice. Thanks for the comments, will be back at times with more questions. FYI my target crappie water will be Lake Champlain.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

As my username suggests, I use the Charlie Brewer grubs ALOT.
    My favorite crappie lure is a 1.5 inch white with a chartreuse tail. A close second is the 1.5 inch plan pearl.

I fish these on a variety of jig heads but really like rigging them on weedless crappie slider head, either 1/16 or 1/8. The jigs are lighter than advertised.
    The main reason I like these heads so much is not because they are weedless, a definite plus, but I really like the wobble that the lure has when slowly reeled through the water as well as on a pause slow drop.

I have not tried the lures that you are looking at, sorry,but I have rigged the 1.5 inch sliders on a Blakemore road runner jig head with great results. At times the additional flash is needed to draw attention to your presentation.

Any other questions? Feel free to shoot me a PM

Ron

mfyten

I have had great success with the Charlie Bee’s for nice crappie and bull gills. My best colors have been black/chart tail and Junebug/chart tail.

iceman35
    upstate New York

Thanks for the input. gonna order some stuff soon and will be back later sometime to load up a box with the basics.

artifishal

I wouldn’t over look the Crappie Tom line of jigs and plastics. They are absolutely deadly on the slab crappies! I love working them with twister tails, minnow style plastics, and also tubes

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

The one big mistake with crappies and plastics is sticking all your eggs in one basket. There is no such thing as a do-all plastic bait. Brewer makes some great tackle…its been around for years and years. MisterTwister has too andd offers up some darned productive plastic.

You have plenty of time to get orders in in time for open water. I’d suggest you do some shopping around. Stinger tailed baits are really coming into their own and some of the baby shad style baits are super production baits when the water warms up good during the summer months. Minnow imitations have been going bonkers for the last couple of years and have been effective in the earliest open, yet very cold, water and again during the late, late fall as water temps approach freezing.

I was on staff with Culprit’s Crappie division and specialized in the paddletail they offered. Honestly it put the Brewer paddy to shame, but Culprit stepped back from its crappie tackle program. Paddletails, regardless of maker, have their place in a crappie box but they don’t fill all the needs. Snoop around and see whats available. It won’t take lomng to find baits that fill holes the paddletails don’t fill.

iceman35
    upstate New York

Thanks tom, got some time, gonna mix it up. as of now my employer,(USPS) has shot down my Crappie safari amd all other plans For the year. Gotta regroup and circle the wagons. I acually live near this barge canal that has had rumors of crappie caught while ice fishing. Its close and a spread of plastics might put a couple in the boat. Gotta unload alotta bass tackle before I order anything.
    Culprit always had great products but hard to get at times. When the time comes I’ll be back for more advice. Thanks again.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.