Daughters first fishing outing!

• armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

Monday night I was asked to watch Elisabeth, my daughter, during the day Tues because mom had places to be… so I offhandedly said “Sure, we can go fishin’…”

By the look on her face you’d have thought she won the lottery!

So Tues afternoon about 2:30 we got to packing my Mustang with the fishing gear. Yeah, taking the ‘Stang on a fishing trip was a bit odd, but we made it work. After checking and rechecking the gear, hitting Bobby & Steve’s on Penn for bait and Wayzata B&T for a couple odds and ends and directions to a good shore spot on ‘Tonka, we finally made it to the public docks outside Sunsets on Wayzata Bay.

A billion panfish… in about every year class you can think of. We pulled in 2 largemouth, too. We kept a few for the frying pan, and since it was her first trip out I was a little more liberal with my standards for “keepers”. But the ones we kept were decent even if a little smaller than I’d have liked.

There were a couple interesting things. We got to the water about 4:45, and I had to DRAG her back to the car at 9:45! My four-year-old fished for 5 hours, non-stop… and she freaking baited her own line with crappie minnows for almost the entire time. Blew me away! And she was SOOOOO excited every time she hooked a fish.

All the way home she kept saying “I had fun today, Dad.” Probably half a dozen times in 45 minutes. I couldn’t have been happier with the outcome. We had an absolute blast… and she took to fishing like she’d been doing it for years.

All in all a very auspicious start to what will hopefully be a lifelong bond for she and I.

skeeterbite
    illinois

AWSOME, You will remenber this day for the rest of youre life. I still remember my boys first fishing TRIP. You are very lucky

armchairdeity

It’s kind of amusing to me, really…

Having achieved what I feel is sort of a sacred milestone in my life and hers… once in a while when I think about how the day went I almost get a little misted over.

I’ll deny it anywhere else tho.

louis-robinson
    dodge co. mn

Great read….from start to finish..awesome…

stuart
    Mn.

Wishing you many more great trips together!

ted-merdan

Outstanding job and you will never forget this day!!!

-ted

super_do
    St Michael, MN

Life really doesn’t get any better than that

sandmannd

Awesome, sounds like a great first time out!!

steved

Excellent job, introducing her to the outdoors. Usually takes a lot of patience, sounds like your day flew by.

Be careful of two things. 1) Pretty soon she will be waking you up at 5:00 am to take her fishing like my little guys do. (not a bad thing) 2) before you know it the boys will be falling all over a girl like that (not necessarily a good thing)

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Cool! My little guy is only 10 months, but I am looking forward to introducing him to the outdoors. I am hoping he’ll enjoy them as much as I do!

iacanoeguy
    Iowa - Franklin Co

I am sure LOTS of guys are misting up reading this, I am one. I too can remember both my son and daughters first outing. Now as a PAPA my granddaughter will not turn 2 until Oct. I have taken her out in the boat etc and when she comes to visit she has to go look at the boat. When ever we sit in it in the driveway we put on our “boat coats” to be safe. My daughter reminded me the other day that when she was young and fished with me in the boat she had her own box with all kinds of plastics. She would play for hours with those little pet creatures and had them all named. When she moved out to go to college she returned the box and her “pets”. I have now started my grand daughter playing with a few worms and crawlers she can call her own. She carries them around the house and loves to show them off to visitors already saying she wants to “ISH”. Every picture she sees in a magazine with a guy and a fish is PAPA. Can’t wait!!!!

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

Awesome, simply awesome! Thanks for sharing!!

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Yep congrats on having a talented youngster of your own genes to take fishing!!! It is really pretty cool when they say the best part of the whole trip was the fishing!!!

Mark

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Anyone, with or without kids, can love this story. I’m happy for you and your daughter, as even kids that take to fishing quite well typically don’t want to be out there doing nothing-but for 5 hours…..awesome!!! Others have said it best, it’s something really special that we can’t do enough of.

Joel

mikehd
    Dousman, WI

That’s some good stuff

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

That’s some good stuff

X2

swlund
    Cuba City, WI

What a great story. I can’t wait to get my grandaughter in the boat. Her Mom is a little worried about it so I am being patient. Next summer for sure when she is 3 and a half.

mike_leclaire
    Grand Rapids, MN

Awesome, that memory will be with her for a lifetime.

chirp
    Rochester

Those are awesome pictures. Great way to remember that first trip. Great job Dad.

armchairdeity

Thanks guys… this really was a big day for me, and sharing it with all of you made it that much cooler.

She’s already after me to go out again!

I think I may take her and the pontoon out to Medicine or Eagle for a day. Take a cooler, make a day of it. Have lunch, find some shade, hang out. I can easily see how this becomes the way fathers spend time with their kids.

And the best part is nobody can really argue about you going fishing if you’re taking the kid(s) with you!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.