Pools 9 and 10

• kornking
    Mount Vernon, Iowa

A group of us are gonna fish pools 9 and 10 next Friday/Saturday (a week out).

We will be spending some time chasing walleyes, but I was curious if anyone in the PDC or Lansing area has had any decent luck with crappies, yellow perch or bluegills so far this spring?

I am somewhat familiar with some of the main channel and running slough areas for ‘eyes and saugers, but was wondering if anyone could suggest some of the better backwater areas to target for panfish in these pools?

Regards,

Joe

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

I have been getting some nice crappies on pool 8. I would think you could find some crappies in Desoto Bay. I have been having my best luck jigging a swedish pimpel over the side of the boat in 20FOW. The crappies have been suspended at 5-10 feet. They may be down a little deeper with the cold weather.
    Good luck fishing

fishahollik
    South Range, WI

Although I havent fished that far down in pool 9 in a few years, DeSoto Bay usually produces. There are only a few sloughs run into it so its very slack water and and usually cleaner water than the main part of the river. Lots of trees laying down along the banks wich provide good cover for both Crappies and ‘Gills.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Korn,

don’t be afraid to head to Minnesota slough and try the cut that goes over to the main channel. It has a name but I don’t have my map with me. There are a lot of trees that are down in the water. Drift crappie minnows with the current along the snags. bring lots of jigs and floats as you will loose a few here. Rewards are pretty good. Desoto bay is also a winner this time of year and cold springs can be good to in the southern end by the rocks.

lalnx
    New Albin, Ia Pool 9 Minnesota Slough

I think you are refering to ferry slough.

superdave
    NE IA

Are you talking about “the snags” I think this is the same area. We always called it the snags, and the name holds true.

kornking
    Mount Vernon, Iowa

Thanks for the ideas guys!

We’ll let everyone know how we do when we get back. This weekend, I will “mostly” be staying around the house getting honey-dos done and racking the brownie points for next weekend’s excursion.

gillsandspecks
    Hiawatha, Iowa

Hey Joe; I predict very tough fishing for Crappies, Gills, … because of the water height & water Temp lately. High water small funnel sites are probably your best bet to concentrate the fish. Especially if the water is dirty.
    I suggest possibly bussey lake, cold springs, The spill way at linxville, at the top of Desoto lake along the east shore, Lake Gremore maybe in the harbor?, Glass lake, The top of Methodist, If it were me & I was destined to head for the Miss. R., I would try for the eyes.
    Ever tried Lake Segema down south of here?

SpinnerDave
    S.E. Iowa

Crappies on Sugema are not up on the bank yet, but I caught a nice mess of em while bass fishing on 5/14.They would not hit a minnie under a bobber very well but I caught 16 nice ones on a pointer minnow about 4″ long. AS well as 6 wallies and some nice bass which I released. .

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.