Panfish Rod Recommendations?

• trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

Looking for a 5′ – 5’6″ lightweight panfish spinning rod for the grandkids (and me) to use. The few “crappie rods” I’ve used over the years start to flex at the handle – similar to a cheap ice fishing rod. Anyone have a recommendation? Would like to get a better quality rod and will likely buy several for the boat.

Thanks
    Pete

Bass_attack

St croix premier series is what I use with an abu garcia cardinal. Seems sensitive for the money. I have it in light power and even use it for finesse walleye jigging.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

My buddies and I have all gotten these because they are so $^&$%^ cool for the money. I have two in ultralight. 6.5 and 7 foot. They are sweet. I recommend the 6 or 6.5. Even the 5 if you need a short rod. The 7 doesnt balance well but still great action.

We test our rods quite extensively at my buddies private lake where we catch crappie after crappie every time we go. You quickly figure out rods. I’ve got a a couple Fenwick HMG’s I love too but spending twice as much for a rod that barely performs better if at all is no longer something I do.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Gander-Mountain-Angler-Series-Panfish/Trout-Rod-5-Ultra-Light&i=831032&r=view&from=grid

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

I’ve always wanted exactly what you described and I never found a commercial light/Ultra-light rod that had enough backbone. Last year when I was purchasing a Walleye rod at Tuned Up Custom I mentioned it to John and he told me he had exactly the right blank for me… He was right. I’d give TUC a call and I’m sure they can get you exactly what you are looking for.

Will

john_h
    Hastings, MN

I second the St. Croix panfish series rods. I have the 7 foot light. Nice backbone, soft tip, great for panfish and even split shot rigging walleyes. Ultra light is too soft for me. The 7 foot balances well with a spinning reel in the “1000” size. They list for $120, but you can find them cheaper. Good luck!

Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

I second the St. Croix <em class=”ido-tag-em”>panfish series rods. I have the 7 foot light. Nice backbone, soft tip, great for panfish and even split shot rigging walleyes. Ultra light is too soft for me. The 7 foot balances well with a spinning reel in the “1000” size. They list for $120, but you can find them cheaper. Good luck!

X3

I have a 1000 symetre on mine.

love it

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

I second the St. Croix <em class=”ido-tag-em”>panfish series rods. I have the 7 foot light. Nice backbone, soft tip, great for panfish and even split shot rigging walleyes. Ultra light is too soft for me. The 7 foot balances well with a spinning reel in the “1000” size. They list for $120, but you can find them cheaper. Good luck!

I have this rod too, love it!

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

I just started using them this year, but the Cabela’s Eagle 50s Light, 7′ 6″ rod has been amazing…. Also just because I had one rigged with a bobber I corked with it a little on Mille Lacs and ended up catching a few 20″+ smallies and it handled them no problem….

Gabe Kuettner
    wabasha mn

Scheels rods only way to go.i was a ugly stik guy but those rods are amazing

Yak Zen

St Croix Travel 6’ 4 piece Lite Fast w Shimano 500 Sahara. Fits in small briefcase or motorcycle or wherever. Always ready, can catch anything from Perch to Crappie to Bass to big fat 5lb drum on the Ohio (took a while, lol). Great rod I keep tucked away somewhere, inside the yak or assembled and ready.

robby
    Quad Cities

I use BPS Crappie Maxx 6’6 and 7′ Crappie rods. About $50. Plenty sensitive. I landed a 13lb Channel Cat on one. Had to play the fish but I beat her. Yes, used a net.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Not sure what your price point is but the Fenwick Eagles are very nice for $60. They are more than capable of taking the kind of abuse that Grandkids can dish out.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

No8. Hellbent. Great rod cheap price. I use a 1 piece 7 ft and really like it

bigpike

My vote is for the Croix panfish rods, I like mine longer for casting light rigs at a distance for shallow spooky early season fish up shallow. Wont be long now!

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

I also use St.Croix. I have a 6ft premier light and a 7ft eyecon finesse light. No complaints.

Deleted

I got an ugly stick combo last year for Father’s Day. It’s a light action 5’ rod w/ Shakespeare reel. I loved it so my kids bought me another one for my birthday this year. Now I have two for the boat. I’ve always been an ugly stik guy. I own 8 ugly combos. Two of them are close to 20 yrs old.

If you order over $50 on ugly stik website, free shipping. You can also send in for a free t shirt with a combo purchase and the combos are on sale right now on their site.

The combo is only $39.99 so the kids also got me a red hoodie for $20 to get the free shipping.

Attachments:
    1. 1AEB7215-31DB-494E-93C8-5AB7F8CF1278.jpeg

2. 7C5273D6-42AA-4DD6-9265-EEC50658898E.jpeg

G-raff
    Rochester, MN

I went through this 2 years ago. I ended up getting a scheels ultra light series. It has a fast tip and good backbone. Definitely worth a look at.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Limit Creek has a sweet panfish rod that I believe is 5’10” and loads well with plenty of spine. Very clean rod and won’t break the bank.

Rod Bent

I have an older Guide Series 5 1/2 ft UL and a newer St Croix 6 ft panfish UL. They are both real good and a lot of fun when you get a pie-plate. I almost prefer the Guide Series because the eyes on the St Croix are so small that a bobber stop gets hung up easily.

ejdelvo28

I’m looking for a ~7ft Light or Ultralight rod under $40 that is NOT a two piece. It seems like every single L or UL rod 6’6 and up are all two-piecers, save for the high end rods.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’m looking for a ~7ft Light or Ultralight rod under $40 that is NOT a two piece. It seems like every single L or UL rod 6’6 and up are all two-piecers, save for the high end rods.

My hellbent is 1 piece but I see now they are discontinued. To bad it is a really good panny rod

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

If your interested at fleet farm in cambridge if your close a 5ft 6 hellbent ultralight xtra fast is on clearance right now. You’ll really like it

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.