Pain relief medicine for dogs

• suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

My last dog seemed to hurt her leg often enough that I always had rimadyl on hand. Later my vet would prescribe me some whenever I asked which was very infrequent. Now my vet requires an office visit to get more and they surely wont approve a cheaper internet order that is so readily available now. Yesterday my dog hurt her leg and was limping badly. Still limping this morning. All I could do was give her an aspirin. Its maddening I cant purchase simple pain meds for my dog like I can for myself. Does anyone have any suggestions or ways to purchase a supply of rimadyl?

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

I can’t help with the rimadyl. When our lab was older, 1/2 of a baby aspirin a day seemed to help her stiffness and soreness a lot.
    Is this an older dog that’s getting stiff and sore or a younger dog with an injury from hunting?
    I guess I’m wondering why you wouldn’t bring it to the vet?

David Blais

They generally require an office visit so your not just putting a bandaid on a bigger issue…

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Rimadyl requires a prescription, that’s why they’re gonna make you come in.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

They generally require an office visit so your not just putting a bandaid on a bigger issue…

I have enough experience to know its just a temp injury. If not Ill know in a few days. In the meantime some anti-inflamatory medicine would be nice however Im not paying a $100 office visit just to purchase $3/per doggie advil. I dont understand the prescription aspect of chew-able dog pain relief. I have never heard of people abusing them…….Im in the process of changing vets so Ill have a conversation with new vet on next office visit about having some on hand. I was just hoping someone knew of an alternative I was missing. Advil and Tylenol are strictly forbidden but aspirin can be used.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Yeah, apsirin and rest are about all you can do.

dirk-w.
    Minnesota

Have you tried a Canadian or Australian pet company? I’m not sure if you would need a prescription or not but I’d check. I buy all my heartworm meds from Canada at about 1/3 the price of an American purchase – no prescription needed. Worth a shot.

Deleted

This works for my 10 yr old mutt……$13.99 for 30 count. Dog could barely get off his bed before giving these. Now he has no hitch and even chases his toys for a random minute here and there.

Attachments:
    1. image-6.jpeg

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

This works for my 10 yr old mutt……$13.99 for 30 count. Dog could barely get off his bed before giving these. Now he has no hitch and even chases his toys for a random minute here and there.

We gave our Golden glucosamine her last two years and firmly believe it helped her mobility a lot.

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Thomas Nichols wrote:</div>

We gave our Golden glucosamine her last two years and firmly believe it helped her mobility a lot.

Thanks for the idea Tom. I wonder if I can convince my wife to give that a try. Our 14-year-old dog has been on Carprofen (generic Rimadyl) for osteoarthritis a few years now. The meds definitely seem to help his joint pain but holy balls are they ever expensive.

Has anyone here had any luck getting their vet to release their dog’s prescription and purchasing the meds online? There are entire companies dedicated to online pet med sales, so there must be a way otherwise they would have no customers? Same meds cost 50% less than what my vet charges.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I generally order our heartworm and flea/tick meds online. You give them your vet info and they do the dirty work. Our vet has been good about approving them.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

You nailed it P2. The last time I tried to buy Rimadyl from my vet one of the subordinate vets said it was the last time without an examination and like you said they mark that stuff way up. Many years ago I had a dog with epilepsy. I was new to the whole thing and the medicine was super expensive at vet but cheap at the human pharmacy. My vet at the time eventually let me buy from the pharmacy.
    The fact we are even discussing this about simple pet meds seems ridiculous.
    Obviously the vets want to keep tight control on all the meds because they make so much money selling them.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

You nailed it P2. The last time I tried to buy Rimadyl from my vet one of the subordinate vets said it was the last time without an examination and like you said they mark that stuff way up. Many years ago I had a dog with epilepsy. I was new to the whole thing and the medicine was super expensive at vet but cheap at the human pharmacy. My vet at the time eventually let me buy from the pharmacy.
    The fact we are even discussing this about simple pet meds seems ridiculous.
    Obviously the vets want to keep tight control on all the meds because they make so much money selling them.

Yep. If you can find a way to get a “human” pharmacy prescription, that’s the way to go. I may or may not do that for my dogs constant UTI’s…It’s no joke saved of over $1k.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.