P2/P4 water clarity now?

• splitshot
    Rosemount, MN

I’ve not had the opportunity to get out there yet. Changed line on all my spinners to clear mono a couple weeks back in anticipation and then never got out due to family medical issues. I am going to try getting out this weekend again though if schedules work out right. How’s the water clarity now though? Can I change back to a high-vis braid, or is it still really clear water? I have interchangeable spools, so it’s not a big deal. ….Just wondering??
    Thanks.
    Splitshot

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Just run braid and throw a floro leader on it….that works well for me and I run that all year long.

Ryan P
    Farmington

Just run braid and throw a floro leader on it….that works well for me and I run that all year long.

I second this…then you don’t have to worry about it.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

My guess is what ever it is now is going to change quickly with the warmer temps coming. Above the confluence on pool 2 I would say was around 3′. MN side of confluence maybe 2. Im sure that all varies on different parts of the river.

splitshot
    Rosemount, MN

Thanks Mike. Just what I wanted to hear. Kind-of what I thought with all the melting too.

Personally, I always tie braid direct on the river when I can. Zeeubs and rocks rip you apart when pitching jigs otherwise.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Matt Moen wrote:</div>

I do this as well, but do get annoyed when casting from time to time. Do you guys keep your leaders rather short (only a couple feet) so that it’s simple to cast? Or do you tie your leaders direct without a swivel and cast the knot through the eyelets without issue?

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ryan P wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Matt Moen wrote:</div>

I do this as well, but do get annoyed when casting from time to time. Do you guys keep your leaders rather short (only a couple feet) so that it’s simple to cast? Or do you tie your leaders direct without a swivel and cast the knot through the eyelets without issue?

I tie mine direct and don’t mess with swivels. I usually run 4 foot leaders and then re-tie if they get to about a foot long.

If the water is really high and dirty I might go without (especially if I break off). Otherwise I always run them. A couple weekends ago for FYB tournament on P4 I think the leaders were the reason I caught fish.

My go to is suffix 832 in 6# ghost white with an 8# floro leader.

splitshot
    Rosemount, MN

I tie mine direct and don’t mess with swivels. I usually run 4 foot leaders and then re-tie if they get to about a foot long.

If the water is really high and dirty I might go without (especially if I break off). Otherwise I always run them. A couple weekends ago for FYB tournament on P4 I think the leaders were the reason I caught fish.

My go to is suffix 832 in 6# ghost white with an 8# floro leader.
    [/quote]

Once the river water gets dirty I always use braid when vertical or pitching jigs and I always tie braid direct. PowerPro High Vis Yellow #20. I do however, paint the hook-end line with a black sharpie for around the last 6 feet. I’ve used this set-up on inland lakes too and it works just fine.
    If the river water is clear, as it usually is in February and early March, I use straight GAMMA #6 clear mono. It’s just too clear to use anything else this time of year. On Mono, I just fish it less aggressively – as compared to when I’m fishing braid. Then I’m just bull-doggin and rippen my baits/lures in and through where I want them to be. No worries about many break-offs when using braid and wire jigs (they just bend out). Works great on Rainy River too. ….Has worked great for me for many years now. No reason to to mess with a leader IMHO.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.