oven never seems to cook things crispy..

• oldrat
    Upper Midwest

hey I have had this oven for years.. and it just never seems to bake things crispy or dry.. they always seem to come out a touch soggy.. even French Fries.. they will burn before they come out crispy.. any thoughts ideas.. things to fix? I appreciate all the advise that I have gotten here over the years..

munchy
    NULL

Electric or gas?

Have you checked your temperatures?

How long do you let it preheat? Preheating involves heating the entire oven, not just the air. If you don’t preheat long enough the moment you open the door it will let all the heat out and the oven will have to start over. Even if there is a preheat light, I always do at least a 15 minute preheat.

oldrat
    Upper Midwest

electric.. and no I am not a ‘pre heater”

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Without preheating steaming starts to occur so the food is cooked before a crust can form and the outside of the food gets saturated from the steam where its unlikely to dry out.
    Try cooking as you normally do, when your food is almost done pull the food out to rest while turning on the broiler or cranking the heat to 450.
    When you feel the oven is up to temp put food back in oven and cook a while longer 10 or 15 minutes. Watch closely. Letting it rest stops the cooking process internally. This is a good method for beef roast starting at 250 degrees till internal temp is 121 degrees.

riverruns
    Inactive

Pre heat the oven. Go there and do that before you take the food out of freezer, and turn on the oven. Then in 10 minutes the oven will be preheated and ready to go. Food also gets done quicker in a preheated oven. Turn on the broiler setting at the end if you like.

An oven is like a man’s inside grill when it’s really cold outside.

Bassn Dan

Preheat at least until the oven “says” it’s up to temp, and it’s better to go longer especially for higher temp settings. Most ovens now use a timer, not a thermostat, for the preheat indicator to be energy efficient….

Also run the self-clean cycle to clean the oven if it’s been a while. The self-clean burns the crud out of the oven’s vents so it has better air circulation and things will brown better.

?????

Does your oven have a convect bake setting? If so use it. thisng wil crisp up faster and cook faster as well.

munchy
    NULL

electric.. and no I am not a ‘pre heater”

I suggest trying to cook a couple meals after a good preheat and see if it makes a difference. Also get a cheap oven thermometer and hang it on the middle rack just to see if you have somewhat accurate temps.

I also like the suggestion of the self-clean, if the oven was pre-owned that is. You never know what the previous owner may have cooked in there. If you got it new then it maybe for naught. Just do it on a nice day where you can open the windows and have a fan or two going. It may make some noxious smoke.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

hey I have had this oven for years.. and it just never seems to bake things crispy or dry.. they always seem to come out a touch soggy.. even French Fries.. they will burn before they come out crispy.. any thoughts ideas.. things to fix? I appreciate all the advise that I have gotten here over the years..

I could send MY wife over for ya, she is an expert at crispy coffee

Iowaboy1

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>oldrat wrote:</div>

I could send MY wife over for ya, she is an expert at crispy coffee

hopefully she doesnt use the smoke alarm for a timer like mine does!!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.