Organic Farms

• Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

That nice red store purchased hamburger can full of “pink slime” that’s added to increase the moisture content and to add a nice color. This does not add any value to the meat and certainly adds to the total weight of the burger to make it more profitable. Like Riverruns, I buy some cuts of beef and grind my own burger and until one has had home ground beef hamburger one has not eaten good hamburger, organic or other-wise.

In large part this organic stuff is gimmick. Someone mentioned snack sticks….liquid smoke and curative agents are in those. Un-cured pork products are full of salt and the seasonings used in the injected brine are completely un-governed by organic rules so who knows what is in there. The smoke is most definitely liquid smoke. The liquid smoke is itself nothing more than rinse water run across a huge smoke chamber and filtered to get chunks out. Un-cured hot dogs, especially any with ant portion coming from poultry, have to contain an agent to kill bacteria if the wieners are in a vacuum package so if not a nitrate or nitrite product, what is it and is it actually organic?

To me “organic” is nothing but a label used to make something cost more than what a conventional grocery store has the same of.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I agree to a certain extent. Again, major corporations like Monsanto have diluted the whole idea of organic for the sole purpose of profit.

I will tell you with 100% certainty that there is a difference when it comes to produce. Most non-organic ruits and vegetables cause my gums and younger to itch instantly. If it makes them itch, I wonder what it does to the rest of my body. I’ve tested this time and time again.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I remember hearing that the major corporations were doing everything in their power to make the classification profitable so they can squeeze out the little guy.

Hopefully the millennials will come through like they have with microbreweries and make it a real thing. I’d love to see real farms producing the majority of our food again.

Just heard that amazon bought supervalue which owns cub foods amongst other stores. Word on the street is they will turn cub into a distributor rather than a grocer. I cant stand this trend of a few mega companies owning the world. I totally agree with you biggill there may be an opportunity for farms to sell to markets and we will buy. I’m going to check out that place in east Bethel even though it’s quite a hike for me and I’m currently looking at what is available closer to me out west

blackbay

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>biggill wrote:</div>
    I remember hearing that the major corporations were doing everything in their power to make the classification profitable so they can squeeze out the little guy.

Hopefully the millennials will come through like they have with microbreweries and make it a real thing. I’d love to see real farms producing the majority of our food again.

Just heard that amazon bought supervalue which owns cub foods amongst other stores. Word on the street is they will turn cub into a distributor rather than a grocer. I cant stand this trend of a few mega companies owning the world. I totally agree with you biggill there may be an opportunity for farms to sell to markets and we will buy. I’m going to check out that place in east Bethel even though it’s quite a hike for me and I’m currently looking at what is available closer to me out west

I’m going to have to try that place up in East Bethel.

Crappie, Where did you hear about Amazon, because United National just bought Supervalu.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Amazon bought Whole Foods I believe.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>crappie55369 wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>biggill wrote:</div>

I’m going to have to try that place up in East Bethel.

Crappie, Where did you hear about Amazon, because United National just bought Supervalu.

You are right. I was misinformed and then when I went to read an article on it it mentioned amazon a few times and I misread that as well. My bad. My disgust for big business remains however

blackbay

I was just wondering in there was new news on that sale.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

I also finally realized I overeat far too much. I think this is the biggest contributor to my heartburn. The last month or so I’ve been trying really hard to reduce my intake at each meal and it has reduced my heartburn to a couple times a week versus the couple time a day I was experiencing.

Another thing to note is that last fall I was taking omeprazol for my heartburn as prescribed by a gastroenterologist. I quit immediately after about a week and researching the short and long term effects of this stuff. I really think this and other acid reducers was leading to my muscle soreness. I haven’t had an acetaminophen, ibuprofen or anything else this entire year so far and am quite happy about it.

BG have you ever been checked for a Hiatal hernia? Your symptoms sound like what I had. My pain was so bad that I would have to vomit to relieve the pain. I could not go out and finish an 8 oz steaK without suffering severe pain. A surgery to correct the HH fixed it. Problem is I have went from 240 to 256 lbs. but I have no pain anymore so I eat what I want. My mindset says I’m healthy so munch whatever I want.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

BG have you ever been checked for a Hiatal hernia? Your symptoms sound like what I had. My pain was so bad that I would have to vomit to relieve the pain. I could not go out and finish an 8 oz steaK without suffering severe pain. A surgery to correct the HH fixed it. Problem is I have went from 240 to 256 lbs. but I have no pain anymore so I eat what I want. My mindset says I’m healthy so munch whatever I want.

I highly suspect this may be what I have. I’m probably going to try and find another gastroenterologist that is more akin to trying to cure my problem rather than treat it with chemicals. For now, I have been very happy with how I’ve felt.

If anyone has a gastroenterologist they’d recommend I’m all ears.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I think I’ve solved my reflux problems and I think it’s due to eating high quality foods and avoiding highly processed carbs, sugars, oils and meats. I also believe cow dairy is another major contributor.

In the process I’ve learned a lot about food and labeling. What cage free, organic, non gmo, free range, pasture raised and grass fed means.

Organic really means that the food hasn’t been treated silent pesticides, herbicides and is non gmo. That means feed for animals too.

Some believe that foods treated with glyphosate can have a huge effect on your gut microbiome. In my case, I tried to avoid foods that may have been but was far from 100% abstinent.

I’d like to remind anyone in the area of East Bethel they Minnesota Fresh Farm is just north of Viking blvd on hwy 65. They have a good selection of high quality produce and an excellent selection of grass fed beef, pasture raised and uncured pork products as well as frozen port, pasture raised chicken and pastures eggs. This is a plug because I absolutely love this place. Their uncured pork products are awesome.

They also have farmers that sell grass fed freezer beef and pasture raised chickens. The beef is Scottish highlands cattle which were always bred for eating only grass.

tornadochaser

Organic really means that the food hasn’t been treated silent pesticides, herbicides and is non gmo. That means feed for animals too.

You’d be surprised by the amount of pesticide and herbicide that is applied to organic crops.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Organic or Certified Organic ? They are 2 different things. Certified only allows “Organic Pesticides”

I ran an organic truck farm for 10 years, for 4 years of that time I was NOP certified. I stopped selling food about 14 years ago and bought a boat with a motor, but not much has changed with the NOP certification that I’m aware of. The only products allowed to use the term organic 15 years ago were for those producing under 10k in sales, and using the organic certified logo was not allowed. Otherwise, organic logo = NOP certified. So, not much can be sold as organic and not be certified.

Unscrupulous players have basically shat all over the rules. I’m sure a few conventional beets have been mislabeled, but Turkey and Argentina were both recently called out for falsifying records of grain shipments. There’s a few labels, like naturally grown and MN grown for smaller growers that work well. MN grown isnt organic specific, but local. Local food is better than NOP food.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

There’s a few labels, like naturally grown and MN grown for smaller growers that work well. MN grown isnt organic specific, but local. Local food is better than NOP food.

This is exactly where I wanted to go with this thread. Local growers are becoming easier to find nowadays. The quality of the mass produced made for the supermarket shelf is surprisingly poor considering the cost.

There is some really good meat and produce out there if you’re willing to look.

Viewing 14 posts - 61 through 74 (of 74 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.