Opinions on Frabill Recruit 1250

• pharmfisher

Hey guys,

I was just wondering if anybody has any experience with this tent. I am looking for an insulated flip over tent that’ll fish 2 people. I know this is a 1 person tent, but my question is if it would be possible to fit a second person using a bucket as a seat. I really want the smallest lightest tent that can possibly fit 2 people. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

sktrwx2200

I tried this idea with my 1 man frabill Pro. The pro was the biggest 1 man shack made and it still didnt work. Two adults and its was a joke, very uncomfortable. Unless you are taking a small child once a year or something, I’m sure you could suffer through. It sounds like you need a pop up or hybrid type shack. Or just be stuck with the extra weight of a small designated 2 person flip over, but get one that you could remove the extra seat (weight) when your by yourself. Also non thermal will cut some weight also.

pharmfisher

I tried this idea with my 1 man frabill Pro. The pro was the biggest 1 man shack made and it still didnt work. Two adults and its was a joke, very uncomfortable. Unless you are taking a small child once a year or something, I’m sure you could suffer through. It sounds like you need a pop up or hybrid type shack. Or just be stuck with the extra weight of a small designated 2 person flip over, but get one that you could remove the extra seat (weight) when your by yourself. Also non thermal will cut some weight also.

I’m not familiar with the frabill pro, but the recruit flips over the side of the sled, not the front. I was thinking this might add a little room?

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

The Otter cottage might work, but the Cabin definitely would. The cottage weighs 80lbs and the Cabin weighs 95.

If you could find the older un-insulated models the weight would be even less.

New models. http://www.otteroutdoors.com/otterxtpackages.html

holmsvc
    SE ND

My uncle has the frabill trecker thermal and uses it as a one man, but its a small two man. That or a Otter Cottage would be good choices.

schoff
    S.E., SD

I use a Clam Nanook Thermal as a large 1 man / small 2 man if needed.

Henpecked

I bought the Recruit this winter and have only had one opportunity to use it, but my thought is it would be too small and cramped for more than one. Depends on what equipment you use also. With a heater, sonar and a couple holes there is not a lot of room. About the same as the otter cottage I had, but lighter and don’t have to put up with the hinkee bench seat I had in the cottage.
    If it doesn’t have to be thermal I would check out the Eskimo EVO 1. There would be room enough and it’s light weight.

pharmfisher

I bought the Recruit this winter and have only had one opportunity to use it, but my thought is it would be too small and cramped for more than one. Depends on what equipment you use also. With a heater, sonar and a couple holes there is not a lot of room. About the same as the otter cottage I had, but lighter and don’t have to put up with the hinkee bench seat I had in the cottage.
    If it doesn’t have to be thermal I would check out the Eskimo EVO 1. There would be room enough and it’s light weight.

Thanks for the input. Where did you buy from? I think I might go try to look at it in person before I make a decision.

Henpecked

Bought mine from Marine General here in Duluth. They had two set up when I bought mine.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.