one of those gages of time

• castle-rock-clown

I guess this would be for the at least occasional fan of Saturday Night Live. They are hyping their 40 th anniversary with showing alot of past episodes lately. Wow how things can change, Mariah Carry was the music entertainment 25 years ago with Patrick Swayze and Cris Farley. I remember the fist time I saw Mariah, it was love at first sight…and it still is today, but now seeing her 25 years ago, she looked like a little kid, geez am I getting old.

So, what slaps you in the head and makes you realize you are well past years you will never get back?

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Getting out of bed in the morning wink

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

I can remember watching snl from the beginning. I was about 12 when it started. That right there is enough, but my latest eye opener was at work. I was able to transfer to a fire station that is referred to as the retirement station. Time to start winding down my career and let the young buck’s work on the busy rigs.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I automatically get a Sr discount at the gas station. cry

Sharon
    SE Metro

I’m only in my early 30s but I’m already starting to notice that I have no idea who these new, popular singers are on TV or on award show commercials. And I’m also starting to notice fashion trends from my time looping back around. Skinny jeans and leggings? Yeah, we called those stirrup pants and of course we wore big slouchy socks with them. Oh, and movies are all remakes now. What’s up with that? coffee

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

realizing that I say “I remember when we used to…..” everyday.

puddlepounder

Oh yeah, I forgot about the senior discount. the 20 something person working the checkout and they just give me the senior discount without asking. Then I get home and the wife sees it on the receipt, she really rubs that one in. I just tell her that i saved 5% on the grocery bill for the week, what have you done lately?

starvin pilgrim

I’ve worked in the commercial construction industry for around 30 years. When I got my first cordless drill, I predicted that some day every thing would be cordless. Well, for the most part, that time has come. I worked for a short time on the Vikings stadium and the only ext. cords were for either lights, microwaves or plugging in chargers.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

1) Hard to get up off the ground if working on something.

2) Can’t lift the weight I use to be able to.

3) Time for Sid Hartman to retire. The guy has been around covering sports my whole life.

4) Oh, I forgot, I forget stuff now and then. grin

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I prefer Suffix 832 when fishing a fast rod.
    Wait…What’s this thread about?

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Seriously, I graduated in 78′ and the music back then was the best I’ve ever heard.

desperado

getting video taken of a place where no camera really should ever be

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

Does getting out of the chair work??? Though I still try to keep up to the younguns’ reffing basketball still at almost 60…

Mark

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

Getting out of bed in the morning wink

Yeah, what’s up with that? I can go to bed feeling fine, and wake up in the morning injured? Don’t remember that in my youth…
    Also:
    Still being able to slog through 1/2 mile of snow/slush, pound 30 holes with my old Jiffy boat anchor, fish all day and pack it all back through that same snow/slush-but feeling tired for days after.
    Being proud, and telling anyone who will listen that my blood pressure is great “for a guy my age”.
    Having kids who frequently ask me questions about my childhood by starting with “Daddy, in the Olden Days…” doah
    Lastly, once the kids are in bed and the chores are done(ish) for the day…realizing it’s my lucky day and I have a choice between friskiness with the wife or a good night’s sleep-and choosing sleep. I ALWAYS regret that one later! (Not to mention being old enough to admit it here, and not care.) shock
    In all seriousness, back then if I’d known I was going to live that long, I might have taken better care of myself…

wave

deertracker

That right there is enough, but my latest eye opener was at work. I was able to transfer to a fire station that is referred to as the retirement station. Time to start winding down my career and let the young buck’s work on the busy rigs.

Congrats on almost getting to the end PP.
    DT

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

1) Hard to get up off the ground if working on something.

2) Can’t lift the weight I use to be able to.

3) Time for Sid Hartman to retire. The guy has been around covering sports my whole life.

4) Oh, I forgot, I forget stuff now and then. grin

We listen to Sid on Sunday mornings when we’re driving home and it is painful to listen to him. But he’ll die in the studio, and for that week the Sid stories will saturate the twin cities sports market.

As far as lifting… son in law/boyfriends. Take em’ out fishing and in return, well, tow that barge.

puddlepounder

Thanks DT, 2018 will be 25 years. After that, one bad shift and I can make the call to pera and enjoy what the state police and fire fund has to offer.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Thanks DT, 2018 will be 25 years. After that, one bad shift and I can make the call to pera and enjoy what the state police and fire fund has to offer.

You are welcome from us “young bucks” still paying into PERA! You earned it, now get out and enjoy it, and there had better be good pictures!

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

All the dam AARP junk mail!!!

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Mudshark wrote:</div>
    Getting out of bed in the morning  :wink:

Yeah, what’s up with that? I can go to bed feeling fine, and wake up in the morning injured? Don’t remember that in my youth…
    Also:
    Still being able to slog through 1/2 mile of snow/slush, pound 30 holes with my old Jiffy boat anchor, fish all day and pack it all back through that same snow/slush-but feeling tired for days after.
    Being proud, and telling anyone who will listen that my blood pressure is great “for a guy my age”.
    Having kids who frequently ask me questions about my childhood by starting with “Daddy, in the Olden Days…” doah
    Lastly, once the kids are in bed and the chores are done(ish) for the day…realizing it’s my lucky day and I have a choice between friskiness with the wife or a good night’s sleep-and choosing sleep. I ALWAYS regret that one later! (Not to mention being old enough to admit it here, and not care.) shock
    In all seriousness, back then if I’d known I was going to live that long, I might have taken better care of myself…

wave

…Well reverend YOU Hit a Few Nails on the Head there. lol … …rrr

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I was in the 6th grade when we were reading that Hubert H. Humphrey was dying of cancer. (google him if you don’t know who he was)

He said he really wanted to live to the year 2000 to see what it was going to be like.

Since calculators weren’t around yet, I used pencil and paper to figure out how old I was going to be then…

43 years old.

From a six graders point of view, I felt I would have died of old age by then. It’s 15 years since the time I thought I would die of old age. yay

Attachments:
    1. ec7_zpsf99d2100.jpg

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

All the dam AARP junk mail!!!

AMEN!! I think they owe me a new shredder. flame If I wanted to donate money to the DFL I’d do it on my own.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.