Ok sorry problems with roller trailer

• mrpike1973

Sorry to ask but here is a picture not the best but it has the rear set of rollers that swivel side to side. Then 2 rollers in the middle of the trailer like you would on a bunk trailer but no bunks, not the full set of 2 swiveling rollers. In my opinion I see no greatness in a roller trailer at all. Halfway submerged it’s like pushing a oak log into the water so much for a roller trailer. I took the advice given here. I back it up so the rear rollers are just about submerged. the middle (solid) roller is out of water walk way back to boat hook on the winch crank it on all the way if I go back any farther the swivels in the rear do not conform to the hull they get stuck sideways. If the middle roller is underwater at all it will not center up ever. Should I lube the shafts on the rollers? Spent all my $ on the great little 25 hp Yamaha so i’m stuck for a while no upgrading. Does this load differently because it’s not a dual set of rollers? For weight the the motor #125, 2 batteries, small trolling motor no floors that’s it so in my opinion very light but boy I can’t “roll” this thing off for nothing I thought it would be a dream but now a curse I must be missing something. The person I bought it from said the trailer was the one fit for it when new and was a package deal from what I see there is very litte I can adjust for roller height.

Attachments:
    1. lund.jpg

Beast

I think you’re going to need to post more pictures of close ups so those in the know can help you.

blank

All trailers seem to need a little practice to find the sweet spot when loadind/unloading. Tough to have someone help with that over the internet. But based on how I’m reading your description, I don’t think you’re backing in far enough. Instead of using the back center roller to get it centered, back in further and use the front center roller and have the keel touch that first and then winch it up. It should self-center itself the further you winch it up, especially with the side guides.

Lubrication of the roller shafts, and the pivot shafts for the rear certainly wouldn’t hurt. Are the middle rollers the soft black rubber style? If so, those tend to get so soft that the keel just cuts through them and they don’t roll, and just create friction.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

In my opinion I see no greatness in a roller trailer at all. Halfway submerged it’s like pushing a oak log into the water so much for a roller trailer. I took the advice given here.

Well you bought a roller trailer so you didn’t take half the advice given… grin

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Maybe I’m missing something, but back in further for launching then loading.

mojocandy101
    Alexandria, MN

I have what looks to be the same boat. 1994 16′ Rebal adventure series? When i unload by myself i back in tell the boat floats then get into it and back it off the trailer, if my wife is with me she backs me in tell i float off. When its time to load it back up i back the trailer in so i can just barely see the very top of the very back rollers. The majority of the trailer is out of the water and it doesn’t look like it is enough but trust me it is. Then hit it straight and you can either power load it all the way up to the winch or get out and crank it.

Jensen

Mr.pike where you located at? Maybe one of us fellow IDO members can meet you at a boat landing to help?

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Not much help but a beautiful boat! Love the look of those Lunds.

mrpike1973

I’m located in the huge town of Darwin. grin Still working on figuring it out. I know it will take a little time. Thanks for the compliments I bought it for the boat for the price I could not pass it up. The middle rollers are those hard rubber style I will look into the hard yellow ones might help.

Jensen

Sent you a PM pike. Let me know if you recieved it.

primitive
    Davenport, Iowa

I have owned several boats and trailers. the one in the picture. 16′ Lund on a roller trailer was the most miserable outfit I ever had. Probably operator error some of the times, couldn’t wait to get it sold.

mrpike1973

More pics.

Attachments:
    1. 105_1188.jpg

2. 105_1187-1.jpg

3. 105_1187.jpg

mrpike1973

Primitive thanks for the heads up hopefully I can figure it out.

mrpike1973

Just wondering any way I could take off the rear rollers and put bunks on? any advice on what hardware would be needed? Might be another option.

Jensen

Try when loading up to leave the roller closest to the ‘N’ on the trailer barely
    Out of water. It looks as if the boat is pretty lightweight and should be easily landed. Are you sure the rollers are all working?

B-man

Are you sure the rollers are all working?

Yep, next time the boat is in the water make sure all the rollers spin freely

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

First you want to replace your perfectly good bunk trailer with a roller trailer, now you want to put bunks on your roller trailer? Launch the boat, make sure everything on the trailer is functional, try to load it at multiple different depths, and launch at multiple different depths. Then choose what works best for you.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Sounds like one of some of the rollers are bad/not rolling as they should. Dump the boat in the lake and then while in the parking lot spin each roller, they should spin freely. Maybe your better suited for shore fishing LOL

CBMN
    North Metro

Your spartan trailer is a little different than my shorelander under my 16 Lund WC but it is similar. When putting the boat on to the trailer I don’t have very much in the water as I only basically have the one inner roller wheel in the foreground of your photo 1188 barely under water and the rest at or above the water line. I make sure the bow gets between that inner roller and the matching one on the other side and drive the boat up the trailer until it wont go further and crank it up the last few feet. When putting the boat into the water I put the trailer in a little bit deeper and occasionally have to push the bow up with my hand to get it to roll down the trailer. That boat should have a very light bow so that should be easy. Learn a routine and use the trailer wheel fender and water level height as your marker to repeat, occasionally having to adjust slightly for flatter or steeper ramps. If you don’t want to drive it up and want to pull it up you will need the trailer a bit deeper when loading it. I would not look to put any type of bunks on that trailer, just simply practice and learn a routine.

mrpike1973

Just for clarity Dusty I have 2 boats a G3 that I kept the bunk trailer and just bought this one it came with a roller trailer and for $100 bucks for a boat and trailer I was not going to pass it up just because it would cause strife on asking for help my apologies to any one I offended in buying my boat. I’m almost to the point of being afraid to ask for help on here. It seems everyone would rather talk politics the state or rioting than fishing info. Off soap box. If I get kicked off oh well

blank

You only paid $100 for that?! Lucky!

I don’t think you’re causing strife, and you can see that plenty of people have responded with suggestions, willing to help. Its just tough to give perfect advice without experiencing your issues in person, that’s all.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Ask away, and I understand you have 2 different boats, but if you were having trouble with the bunk trailer, why would you modify the roller trailer with bunks?

mojocandy101
    Alexandria, MN

mrpike, the only difference between your trailer and mine, is the middle roller on mine is 8″ long (looks like your front roller and middle roller are the same 4/5″ long. when loading the boat, back the trailer in tell you can just barely see the top of the roller that is cut off on the left side of image 105_1188.

I can take a picture next time I’m out and send it your way.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.