OK Bassheads – Lets talk Hair Jigs.

• fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I have been seeing and hearing of lots of bass being caught on Hair jigs this year. I myself have never fished one. For those who have or do use them, What brand and size are you using? In what conditions and situations are you primarily using them? I would think they would fish a lot like and in the same area’s as a Jigworm or even a Swimjig. I’m sure a fair amount of the success is that its something different than a lot of the other baits Bass see fairly often. Till this year it was mostly Smallmouth fishing I saw them being used. Now I’m seeing lots of LM being caught on them as well. I always seem to be a little late getting around to new techniques. This one is probably another one. But better late than never I guess.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

The VMC flies and the Feider Fly from Outkast Tackle has been the most productive for me. Black or white chartreuse.

ThunderLund78

I’ve only used VMC but those things will catch about anything. I like them because they’re relatively weedless if the slop isn’t too thick. Good for dropping down into cabbage or deep weed edges. Have caught bass, crappie, walleye and pike (some bigger ones if they don’t bite you off) on them. Steve Carney in the Outdoor News likes them and he uses the smallest jigs and lightest line he can get away with. More of a finesse approach. But I think he mainly targets Walleye. You can probably upsize with Largies.

Jeff Schomaker

What kind of hair jig are you thinking? Like a Marabou jig or a rooster hackle jig? There are many different ways to fish hair. A marabou for example is best casted and steady retrieved back. A bigger hackle or deer hair jig are best fished aggressively. More so snapping or stroking it back to the boat. Sometimes letting it hit bottom. I pour and tie up all of my own. The more minnow looking the better.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I’m thinking something along the line like the OutKast tackle chicken jig. Something with a larger profile but still falls at a slower fall rate. A lot of the ones I’m seeing are had tied and are rather large. I’m just not ready to jump in and star tying my own yet. Maybe at some point but not right now

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Something like these

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0098.jpeg

2. IMG_0099.jpeg

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

This is the OutKast one

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0100.jpeg

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

They are all rather expensive. I’d hate to have 4-5 of those bite off by a pike in a outing

Stanley

I have been using the VMC bucktail jigs for the past couple seasons and they have been very effective. Black has been my go to in either 1/8 or 1/4 depending on depth. I usually tip them with a leech.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Thanks for bring this up fish thumper. I have a whole box of hair jigs I use on the river for walleye. I have not touched them in years. I think I will have my son give them a try at bass league this week. Its funny how great baits come back around. It seems people just forget about them with all the advertising of the “new” stuff. That works great for me because it makes old lures seem new since fish don’t see them as much.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I’ve used the black VMC hair jigs on Mille Lacs a few times when there was a big bug hatch going on. I did catch a couple once but generally I think the fish already have full bellies when there is a bug hatch.

MnPat1

The black marabou has been a smallmouth killer for a long time. I use 3/32 ounce primarily. 6 lb braid with 8 lb leader on a 7’ or longer medium lite action rod. The best way to fish it is a straight steady retrieve. Trolling it works great. .9 to 1 mph seems the best speed. I have caught thousands of smallies and walleyes on these jigs.

For large mouth in the summer time bucktail jigs can be great. I like 3/4 or 1 ounce jigs with white being my favorite color. Fish above or outside the weeds. Cast out let it sink for a few seconds and then move the jig with your rod tip in a sweeping motion. Reel up the slack and repeat. Great for when fish are up high feeding on sunfish or outside the deep weed edge.

TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

Being that it looks like you live in Sartell, why not reach out to Jimmy D, Jim DeZurik?

He hand ties all his jigs and lives off of Pine Point on the River in Sartell.

I’m sure he could make you whatever you want.

Search Jimmy D’s River Bugs. I’ve used his streamers on the River above the Sartell Dam and I really liked them.

MnPat1

Being that it looks like you live in Sartell, why not reach out to Jimmy D, Jim DeZurik?

Search Jimmy D’s River Bugs. I’ve used his streamers on the River above the Sartell Dam and I really liked them.

He makes the best jigs I have used. I use the 3/32 bass marabou in black.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Thanks for the Info. I will reach out to him.

tim hurley

Have been reading some about rubber skirts having better movement than the typical silicon-Tackle warehouse has one that looks good that is a combo of rubber and feathers.

jwellsy

I like to tie mylar ribbon into mine for the flash.

Jeff Schomaker

So a hair jig like you are describing are well known for off shore structure fishing. I would read into the off shore fishing tactics people use on the Tennessee river system. That is where the hair jig became popular. Personally I have had better luck throwing a flutter spoon over a hair jig. But also don’t over look a larger swimbait on a jig head in those same areas.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

So a hair jig like you are describing are well known for off shore structure fishing. I would read into the off shore fishing tactics people use on the Tennessee river system. That is where the hair jig became popular. Personally I have had better luck throwing a flutter spoon over a hair jig. But also don’t over look a larger swimbait on a jig head in those same areas.

Yep. Hair jigs like these got their start on off shore structure and ledges. They are now finding g their way into more and more fishermen’s hands all across the country. From what I hear they are not a big #’s bait but will often catch the biggest fish in an area. Just one more bait to have fun with and learn how to catch fish on

TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>TillrLife wrote:</div>

Thanks for the Info. I will reach out to him.

You will not ne disappointed. He’s a great guy to deal with.

I used to fish in front of his house all the time when I lived in Sartell a few years back. I don’t fish the river much anymore since I moved a few towns west, but I still use is stuff on the Chain and still do well with them.

Charles

Chicken Jig is more a bigger target vs the smaller normal size hair jigs. I have some from throne bros that I like throwing but you really need a 8′ foot rod to get them out there.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Chicken Jig is more a bigger target vs the smaller normal size hair jigs. I have some from throne bros that I like throwing but you really need a 8′ foot rod to get them out there.

The chicken jig is one of the larger profile ones I’ve found. From what I hear even in the 1/2 or 3/4 oz size it still has a rather slow fall rate based on the material its made with. If its wasn’t for the cost of them I’d order a bunch to try. I really like the Big heavy hook they have on theirs. I also like the eye angle ( 30 Deg. ) but the cost is way more than I want to pay given the # of them I’m likely to lose to pike.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I reached out to Jimmy D. Great guy. He has a Jig of his that may be close to what I’d like. After speaking with him on the phone, I sent him a message describing what I’m looking for. Hopefully he can make some up for me to give a try. He is currently a ways out on orders right now, so it may have to be a project for the off season for him. He must have a good following and make a quality product if his order lead time is that far out. I’d love to do business with a small local guy any day if possible.

TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>TillrLife wrote:</div>

I reached out to Jimmy D. Great guy. He has a Jig of his that may be close to what I’d like. After speaking with him on the phone, I sent him a message describing what I’m looking for. Hopefully he can make some up for me to give a try. He is currently a ways out on orders right now, so it may have to be a project for the off season for him. He must have a good following and make a quality product if his order lead time is that far out. I’d love to do business with a small local guy any day if possible.

Good deal. Yes, you will be very happy with his stuff. And I’m sure he’ll get you squared away at some point.

I found out about him through the local Fly Fishing club years back, which has seemed to have all but disappeared. To date it, we used to meet up at Gander Mountain in Waite Park for our monthly meetings. So, he’s been around for some time.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Good tip on the hair jig. Last night it put the biggest bass in the boat for my son during bass league. It was a home made hair jig. I need to break out the lead pot and get some more whipped up. There is just not enough time in a day. (don’t worry fishthumper, I have not forgotten about your rod.)

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Tying jigs is soooooo easy fishthumper. Dive in already!

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Tying jigs is soooooo easy fishthumper. Dive in already!

I keep throwing that idea around. The initial setup cost + the limited amount of use keeps me from making the Jump. It is something I will do for sure if / when I ever reach retirement.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Good tip on the hair jig. Last night it put the biggest bass in the boat for my son during bass league. It was a home made hair jig. I need to break out the lead pot and get some more whipped up. There is just not enough time in a day. (don’t worry fishthumper, I have not forgotten about your rod.)

Glad you son got a big one on it. I keep hearing from people who use them a fair amount that it often catches the biggest fish for them.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Just take the jump. Materials are not getting any cheaper. There is a bunch of upfront costs in making lures. It will easily pay for itself over and over again. The same bucktail or live rubber can make football jig, swim jig, safety pin spinner bait, darter jig, grass jig, cow girl, fancy treble hooks, walleye, bass, muskie, pike, panfish… The list goes on and on. There are many different companies that offer unpainted raw jigs heads, spinner bait heads, and buzzbait heads. (around $1 each depending on how you buy) Once you find the one you like you can get a mold and pour the lead to cut the cost down even more. Take your wife’s nail polish to paint the heads until you get an air gun. I make my son tie his own baits. He gets a big kick out of catching something he made (I do too and they are fun to make) and I save a ton of money. He lost 4 jigs last week. That could have been easily $25+ instead of under $5. I just ordered a new mold and hooks for bass fishing. I can guarantee it will pay for itself before the summer is over. The best thing about hair jigs is you are not going through a bag of plastics every outing. More savings.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

The $16 jig above requires you to buy a $30 vice, 2 colors of buck $8ea, thread $2, Sally Hansen $2, and whatever jig you want…..

The tying materials above would tie 50 of them $16 jigs.

Want to buy unpainted jig heads and paint yourself…requires a heat gun $30, toaster oven $25, cheap paint brush $2/10pk, and each color of paint $7. One jar paints hundreds of jigs (powder coat process)

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.