Officials warn boaters to slow down on St. Croix

• buschman
    Pool 2

This post is specific to the wake created out there…. I for one will defend any small boat on the water and agree that there are boats on these waters that do not belong here. I will rant a little here and it is not on all big boats. My experience is down to about 1-2% of the boats out there. There are a handful that you see on the river every weekend that produce a wave above 3 ft. It is not the 28 ft cabin or house boats. Anyone who has been on the water enough know what boats were talking about.

These people with the 40 ft tuna rigs should be regulated!!!!!!!!!!!!! There should be standards that the boat and captain have to meet.

Anyone who thinks these 3 + foot wakes are ok is just not real to the issue. I am talking about true measured wakes from the water line to the crest of the wake. I don’t care if the captain of the boat is drunk or sober. He is destroying the shoreline, docks and putting others in danger. That’s just it. For the sheriff or others to say it is hard to identify what boat is doing this is BS! I shore my boat quite a bit on the Croix and Pool 3. I can see one coming and know what’s coming behind it. I know how to prepare for this but others do not and should not have to. The shorelines and personal property should not be subject to it either just because some rich a-hole wants to get somewhere in his 44 ft luxury boat fast.

I work with commercial vehicles for a full time job. We have rules to follow that protect other on the road and the road itself. Why there is not more regulation to who captain these large vessels is beyond me. Its a joke and if it hurts some peoples feelings that I question this ” oh well”. Bottom line is there should be classes taken, fees paid and drug testing done. Everything else that comes with getting a captain license to operate a vessel this size. Eliminate the questions of who is driving period. This is for the safety of the people in the boat, on the river and the river itself. If they have money to buy, gas and store a boat this large then they should be able to hire a captain if needed.

Now, the 28-32ft boats the run full throttle upstream of the boom site.. That is a whole new thread. This is much smaller water and don’t want to get started. Just stupid. Guess you know what having or looking like you have money does with laws. Till this changes I will just put up with getting checked 3 times a day for my fishing license because that’s more important than safety of the river and the people that use it on the Croix… Rant is over ) Sorry.

Viewing 61 post (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.