Officials warn boaters to slow down on St. Croix

• Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Officials warn boaters to slow down on St. Croix River following 2 seriously injured

Officials warn boaters to slow down on St. Croix River following 2 seriously injured

By Mary Divine | [email protected] | Pioneer Press
    PUBLISHED: July 9, 2019 at 4:45 pm | UPDATED: July 9, 2019 at 6:38 pm

Officials are renewing a call for boaters to pay attention to the waves their watercraft produce after two women were seriously injured in separate incidents on the St. Croix River over the past two weeks.

On the Fourth of July, a 53-year-old woman from Albion, Iowa, suffered a serious back injury about 6:40 p.m. while boating with her husband near the Allen S. King plant in Oak Park Heights. According to police reports, the couple’s boat struck “a large, rolling wave, approximately 6 feet high … tossing (her) up in the air and then back onto the chair, landing on her back.” The woman was taken by ambulance to Lakeview Hospital in Stillwater.

About a week earlier, on June 29, a 56-year-old Chippewa Falls, Wis., woman was also taken to Lakeview Hospital for treatment of injuries after the boat her husband was operating hit the wake of another boat about 10:30 p.m.

The woman was in the bow area of the boat, “which was operating at cruising speed, when the boat hit the wake of another boat causing it to become slightly airborne and causing the victim to be tossed into the air and land back in the boat,” the police report states.

In Minnesota, it’s illegal to operate a watercraft so that its wake endangers, harasses or interferes with any person or property. Failure to comply may result in a citation from law enforcement patrols on the water and fines up to $140, depending on the county.

BUSY RIVER MAKES ENFORCEMENT TOUGHER
    Officers patrolling the St. Croix have a difficult time locating offenders when the river is busy with boat traffic, said Sgt. Kyle Schenck of the Washington County sheriff’s office.

“If you’ve been out on the St. Croix River, all you see are large wakes,” Schenck said. “It’s tough to track a wake down to a boat operator to assign blame to them when there are so many boats out there. They’re not being considerate of what their wake is doing to other people.”

The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources has launched a campaign to raise awareness of the damage large wakes on the river cause and to remind boaters of their responsibilities.

The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources last month launched a campaign to raise awareness of the damage large wakes on the river cause and to remind boaters of their responsibilities after receiving a growing number of complaints about excessive wakes.

The waves can cause shoreline erosion, affect water quality, create a hazard for others on the water and damage property, said Lt. Adam Block, boating law administrator for the Minnesota DNR.

Block said the recent injury accidents on the St. Croix River “illustrate how critical it is that boaters pay attention to the waves their watercraft produce. A day on the water shouldn’t result in a trip to the hospital.”
    Both women who were injured were picked up by ambulance at the Sunnyside Marina in Oak Park Heights.

BE AWARE OF YOUR BOAT’S WAKE
    “Both injuries occurred because a large boat threw an excessive wake in the close proximity of a smaller boat,” said Rick Chapman, the marina’s general manager. “In each case, the smaller boat captain did the right thing and steered the boat into the wake rather than taking it sideways, which potentially could have swamped them.”

Posters stating “For Everyone’s Sake, Own Your Wake” have been posted around Sunnyside Marina, he said.
    Chapman said he does not think boat operators are intentionally causing large wakes.

“It’s totally people not being aware,” he said. “Many are new boaters, and they are just totally unaware of what kind of wake that boat is going to create at what speed. We’re working to educate them.”

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

“It’s totally people not being aware,” he said. “Many are new boaters, and they are just totally unaware of what kind of wake that boat is going to create at what speed. We’re working to educate them.”

Kinda sounds like new or inexperienced boaters hitting wakes going way to fast! smash

6 footers??? coffee

-J.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I thought the same thing. What kind of boat would throw a 6 foot high wake?

S.R.

mike e

A buddy and I did 5 days, 300 miles on all 3 “metro” rivers. The Croix was like Tonka waves from every direction, but much, much bigger. This was in my 66 Larson closed bow that I almost always drive standing up. It was a blast having my feet leave the floor on many of those waves. Really had to pay attention, standard for any river.. The last day heading home on that trip on the Miss, I did stop the boat completely for a 6 footer. Looked like a 40 foot boat doing 50. In the short time I observed this boat I bet they used more fuel than our entire trip!

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Kinda sounds like new or inexperienced boaters hitting wakes going way to fast! smash

6 footers??? coffee

Yup.

We were tubing in that stuff.

coffee

Driver of the boat with the injured women is at fault. Wave didn’t do it.

Never seen a 6′ wave out there. NEVER

There was a 30’+ boat in Bayport the other day chugging out a solid 5′ wake. It was being poorly operated the best we could tell.

I agree, sounds like poor driving on the part of the smaller crafts.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Sounds like the operator of the boat that the person was hurt on was driving too fast in the dark. Slow down if you can’t see the waves and they probably would have been fine. Maybe they should give a breathalyzer to the operators of the boats the people were injured in….

How does one control their wake? How much wake is too much? How can you even enforce a law that is so vague? Guess I need to make sure I am driving on the WI side of the river.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Maybe it would be best to ban women in their 50’s from being on the river, seems like they are high risk of getting hurt.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

I think the owners of these 40′ cruisers would drive a little safer if they knew there was potential for a $140 fine.

zooks

I think the owners of these 40′ cruisers would drive a little safer if they knew there was potential for a $140 fine.

strong disagree here – if you’re paying a grand every time you gas up your boat, I highly doubt the $140 fine would bother you much

Pretty sure Phil was being sarcastic there..

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Jon Jordan wrote:</div>

6 footers??? coffee

Yup.

We were tubing in that stuff.

coffee

Driver of the boat with the injured women is at fault. Wave didn’t do it.

Never seen a 6′ wave out there. NEVER

I’ve had legit 4-5 footers come over my bow while anchored out there though.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Guess I need to make sure I am driving on the WI side of the river.

The law is the same on both sides of the river. “Vessel operators are responsible for their wake”.

I haven’t seen (or remember) a rule that says boaters need to use common sense when a wake is approaching them.

My 17,000 pound (dry) 40′ boat goes 29 mph. I’m pretty sure it throws a 4-5′ wake. The rivers around here are not made for these types of wakes and I’m not talking about just other boats. Shore line, docks, people standing on floating docks just to name a few.

At the current $4.10 a gallon on the river, I never let my tanks go empty. At 29 mph I’m burning just under 2 gallons a minute.

My common sense says the wakes are too big for our rivers and the boater that tosses his loving wife up into the air is either looking for a new wife, or doesn’t know what he’s doing.

zooks

Pretty sure Phil was being sarcastic there..

doah Just another example of why there should be a sarcasm font!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Zooks, a few years back under a different owner of Everts a tuna boat passed by. The river was flooding and the wake took out one of their garage doors. The sheriff tracked the boat operator down and he paid cash for a new door and installation one the spot.

Phil might have been closer to the truth then we thought. (not in my case by the way)

The trouble is that most boats are long gone before the damage happens. On the Croix, which one of those two dozen wakes bouncing of shore belongs to who?

basseyes

rotflol

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I’ve had legit 4-5 footers come over my bow while anchored out there though

Add a bungee to allow the boat to lift…. Problem solved.

Been Sturgeon and catfish’n in big waves for many years.

KP
    Hudson, WI

Like many have said above it sounds more like whoever was driving the boat were the people got hurt in is the problem. I’ve been boating on the St.Croix for over 10 years and yes the waves can get that big but you just need to slow down or get a bigger boat. My boat is 27 feet long and I still get tossed around to the point I have to slow down when it’s busy.

I was out on Minnetonka for the first time this past weekend, where they have a speed limit on the lake and it reminded me of the Croix. When you have a small boat you need to go slow or you will be tossed around.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Add a bungee to allow the boat to lift…. Problem solved.

Been Sturgeon and catfish’n in big waves for many years.

Me too. I use a bungee now. There’s just no fun in battling waves so I just avoid busy times.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

How does one control their wake? How much wake is too much? How can you even enforce a law that is so vague?

I’ll use that argument on one of our no wake areas, and get back to you on how that works out.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Bigger the boat, better the ride. Its survival of the biggest out there. This is the main reason I dont run out there during the summer. I figured it out 20 years ago. Hard to have much sympathy for someone that drives their fishing boat into a tuna boat wake or any other obstacle out there. Captains fault.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

There’s just no fun in battling waves so I just avoid busy times.

Meh. Embrace it and all is well and good.

Mr perch (balancing) rod holders work good in waffle waves when anchored.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

95% of people have no idea what a 6′ wave is!

Deuces

95% of people have no idea what a 6′ wave is!

I’d $hit my shorts if I had to boat out a 6′ wave.

Is it just me or are Croix waves harder to see than other bodies of water? Those creeper waves really do pop up out of nowhere at times, wonder if it has anything to do with color of water?

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Is it just me or are Croix waves harder to see than other bodies of water? Those creeper waves really do pop up out of nowhere at times, wonder if it has anything to do with color of water?

Hmm. I have no idea what your talking about.

There’s nothing unique about Croix water. It is just water. You might be confusing waves stacking up when they join another but I dunno.

Waves travel a long ways. Always at 19°

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

If there was a universal zero-tolerance for alcohol/drugs on all boats, things would likely improve. I’d support such a measure for operators and all passengers. Wanna drink? Stay on the dock.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Didn’t know there was a tolerance for drugs, or over consumption of alcohol by the operator….

Or your just not thinking of the responsible many who aren’t 80 and enjoy a beer on the water.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Put a 30 mph speed limit on the river. You should be able to pay for 3 full time sheriffs deputies from the speeding fines.

While the river is for everyone to enjoy there also should be a expectation that you will be safe under normal operating conditions.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Or your just not thinking of the responsible many who aren’t 80 and enjoy a beer on the water.

Oh I’m thinking of the responsible ones….they wait until they’re off the water. And age has nothing to do with it. Zero tolerance only affects those who CAN’T have a cold pop or water instead while they’re on the water.

Lol. Yeah, no beer on the docks either! Maybe a little warm milk and fresh nappy might be ok?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.