obligatory quarterly question, what truck tires should I get and where?

• Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Just put on a set of Bridgestone Dueler 685. Chevy 3500 one ton. Tires, install, lifetime rotation, alignment and tax just under $1,000.

New tires going into winter is a good thing no matter what you get!

-J.

mike e

If they don’t have the 3 peak mountain/snowflake badge on the sidewall there’s a good chance they aren’t very good in snow. Also, the higher the expected mileage, you should expect lesser snow performance. An 80k tire would be the last on my list unless I lived where there is no snow ever.

I’ve gone to full winter tires and there is no going back to all seasons, they all suck in snow as far as I’m concerned.

There are some all season plus tires now that do bridge the gap like Toyo Celsius Cargo and Nokian WRG. My now discontinued Cooper ATW’s made almost new Continentals seem bald in comparison. Their AT3 4s looks very similar.

Paulski
    “Ever Wonder Why There Are No Democrats On Mount Rushmore ? "

I need new tires on my wife’s CRV, as the original are plain worthless. I was reminded of that fact on Tuesday. I am thinking of going with all weather versus all season as they will be much better for winter like driving that makes up quite a bit of the year here in the MN.

Paulski

Charles

I like the Falken WildPeak A/T tires. Cheap price and been a good tire so far.

munchy
    NULL

I need new tires on my wife’s CRV, as the original are plain worthless. I was reminded of that fact on Tuesday. I am thinking of going with all weather versus all season as they will be much better for winter like driving that makes up quite a bit of the year here in the MN.

Paulski

My wife has Yokohama Avid Ascends on her CRV and they have been great. She’s had them for 2 years now without issue.

mike e

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Paulski wrote:</div>

Paulski

My wife has Yokohama Avid Ascends on her CRV and they have been great. She’s had them for 2 years now without issue.

Good tire, but terrible in snow.

munchy
    NULL

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>munchy wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Paulski wrote:</div>

Paulski

Good tire, but terrible in snow.

Not that we have noticed. She’s gone back and forth to work in every snowstorm we’ve had, including what was dubbed “snowmagedon” down here. I’ve driven them in snow as well. They don’t stick like on dry pavement but they are far from sending you all over the road.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Have Pathfinder AT’s waiting at Discount Tire to be installed tomorrow. They are made from the original Hankook Dynapro AT mold for Discount Tire. Have heard lots of good reviews of them. And they are pretty affordable.

I paid $180 each for E rated tires.

Oh I drove on these for a 1000 miles and sold them as quick as I bought them.

munchy
    NULL

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>munchy wrote:</div>
    Have Pathfinder AT’s waiting at Discount Tire to be installed tomorrow. They are made from the original Hankook Dynapro AT mold for Discount Tire. Have heard lots of good reviews of them. And they are pretty affordable.

I paid $180 each for E rated tires.

Oh I drove on these for a 1000 miles and sold them as quick as I bought them.

whytie
    Saskatoon, Saskatchewan

Been running 20″ BFGoodrich T/A KO2’s on my Tundra for the last two years. Put on 60,000Km so far and they haven’t let me down. I’d say 40% of my driving is city, 50% highway and 10% grid roads. Worked well in Saskatchewan in -40 weather and snow. I had wrangler duratrac before and the KOs I find are better in wearing and road noise. Only downside is it fire rocks like crazy on the grid roads, mainly 3/4″ stones. I have a plastic cover on my trailer to protect my boat and it takes a beating some days lol.

Paulski
    “Ever Wonder Why There Are No Democrats On Mount Rushmore ? "

Thinking I will go with these — NOKIAN WR G4 SUV

Just tired of sliding around and poor traction from October through April these days …… only 2 seasons here, Winter and Road Construction

Paulski

dbright
    Cambridge

I have been a big fan of nitto Terra grapplers. My first two sets went over 80k. My current set has 50k and they are still looking great.

Charles

Thinking I will go with these — NOKIAN WR G4 SUV

Just tired of sliding around and poor traction from October through April these days …… only 2 seasons here, Winter and Road Construction

Paulski

Had the G3 they work good!

gixxer01
    Avon, MN

I put Duratracs on my F150 last winter and they did great in snow! Not very good on ice.

This year, the siping is almost gone and they are horrible. 35k on them. I’m sure they will handle deep snow great, but the slop we had recently had the truck all sorts of squirrely.

404 ERROR
    MN

Not trying to be the bearer of bad news, but I had Hankook Dynapro’s previously and really liked them and Discount Tire told me the same thing on the Pathfinder AT’s, which I have about 15k miles on now and they are not nearly as good as the Hankook’s imo. I would not recommend them, or purchase again unless you like spinning your wheels on any sort of precipitation.

I’ve had 33″ E range Pathfinder AT’s for close to 30k now. I could not notice a difference at all with the Dynapro ATM’s I had before. They’re also wearing very well. Had one replaced last month due to a screw that punctured it and they were at 12-13/32″ (15/32 new)…free replacement, of course.

Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac’s if you can stand some noise as they wear. Best traction tires I have ever owned.

Brother has them on his 19′ Trail Boss. Dry rotted to he11 under 10k and GM says it’s normal and wont replace under warranty. Good tires otherwise.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

You want a Good Year Comfort tread or Control Contact Tour A/S Plus because both have the full depth syping. trust me I have had many SUV tires and these 2 are the best.

Paulski

milemark_714

My issue with Discount is nobody should really sell tires that can’t even perform an alignment in my opinion, there techs are not qualified to tell you if you have a loose front end part or anything really.

Another thing about those big tire chain stores,they may have good prices on tires,but will gig you on those little things.I wanted a set of tires installed for winter,and they wanted to charge me for TPMS reprogram.I do have the sensor info on a ATEQ Quickset,but they would not use it for some reason.So I told them to put the tires unmounted in vehicle,and took them to an independent installer.And I just pushed a button to change sensor IDs.

Coletrain27

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>John Rasmussen wrote:</div>
    My issue with Discount is nobody should really sell tires that can’t even perform an alignment in my opinion, there techs are not qualified to tell you if you have a loose front end part or anything really.

Another thing about those big tire chain stores,they may have good prices on tires,but will gig you on those little things.I wanted a set of tires installed for winter,and they wanted to charge me for TPMS reprogram.I do have the sensor info on a ATEQ Quickset,but they would not use it for some reason.So I told them to put the tires unmounted in vehicle,and took them to an independent installer.And I just pushed a button to change sensor IDs.

I’ve never experienced anything like that from discount tire. Matter of fact, last tires I bought for my truck they installed all new tire sensors for free for me. couldn’t argue with that coffee

milemark_714

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>milemark_714 wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>John Rasmussen wrote:</div>

I’ve never experienced anything like that from discount tire. Matter of fact, last tires I bought for my truck they installed all new tire sensors for free for me. couldn’t argue with that coffee

It was one of Discount’s competitors.Next time I will call ahead to verify extra charges.It sucked that they could not use the tool to snuff out the light.

Reef W

I got “Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure With Kevlar” as the third set on my truck and they’re great.

The factory set was garbage of course. Next I got Yokahama Geolandar A/T G015. They had better traction but I always had a bit of a shake that could never be balanced out for long. Maybe I had a bad tire, I don’t know. Lasted about 50k miles though.

The Goodyears now have about 15k on them and they’ve been very smooth but also very good traction. I don’t know if the Kevlar and durawall stuff actually does anything but figured it couldn’t hurt for driving on ATV type trails and logging roads grouse hunting. They are three peak rated for snow too.

Viewing 20 posts - 31 through 50 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.